Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Printer recommendation please

Hello all,

This is my first post to the Pentax Forum, although I've bought and sold items on your marketplace. I've been a Pentax user for 40 years or so and still have a lot of my original M equipment, including a couple of MXs that I still use. No you can't have one. (I used to carry both, one with Kodachrome 64, the other with my latest experiment in black and white, and with a 28 on one and a 100mm macro on the other. Ah for the simple days.)

I recently caved in and bought a K200, and now wonder why I waited so long. I've managed to accumulate four DA lenses and a new macro, a Tamron 90mm, since I bought the K200 in June. Which shows the extent of the renewed interest I have in photography. It's kinda like an addict, I guess. An addict continues to fall deeper into his addiction even if he gives up the (drink, drugs, women, photography, whatever.) Well, what's retirement for, anyway? And I don't care what you say I ain't givin' up women!

So anyway, I went to B&H to order an Epson R280 printer. Recommended by more than one photographer friend of mine as a down and dirty inexpensive photo printer. And discovered that the Epson 1400 is available for only $70 more due to a mail in rebate. Previous list prices are $100 for the R280 and $290 for the 1400, so I suspect the latter is being discontinued. Which bothers me not. I'm currently using an HP Deskjet 812C, which is more than likely no longer on anyone's radar.

So I wonder why the 1400 doesn't have an "R" designation? And why it weighs twice as much as the R280 when many of the specifications seem the same? Faster printing? Any problems with either of these printers?

Other suggestions? You should know I'm not in the market for a printer that will give museum quality prints. I have a pro photographer in town that does that for me for a good price. And how many of those can a person need anyway? The Epson R1900 and up are just too expensive (and too big) for what I need.

Any input would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

BAB

11-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
BAB
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PS: I forgot to mention......

.....that I'm also an illustrator and do need to print artwork on 140lb watercolor paper. 140 pound is fairly thin, and my HP 812C will accommodate that thickness. So any printer I purchase needs to have the capability of printing on (somewhat) thicker paper. Something like Reeves cover stock, e.g.

Thanks,
BAB
11-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

BAB there is a comprehensive review of the Epson 1400 at Photo-i.
11-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by BAB Quote
.....So anyway, I went to B&H to order an Epson R280 printer.......

BAB
I've been using the R280 for about a year now. I print exclusively on Epson Premium Glossy and occasionally on Epson Double-Sided Matte. No problems so far and no clogged inkjet nozzles either though I print pretty often. The R280 is a hell of a lot quieter than the 820 it replaced and faster too.

I don't know about other papers. I also have an Epson 2200 that I use when I want a larger print (Epson Velvet is my choice for that).

I'm not familiar with the watercolor paper you mention but Epson Velvet is pretty heavy and must be fed straight into the 2200 from the back, not through the rollers. I don't think the R280 has that feature.

Richard