Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2020, 03:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Battery life.

I recently purchased a new D-Li90 battery from a online dealer I`ve dealt with quite a few times . Battery arrived and i was shocked to find it had a manufacture date of September 2016,which made it almost 4 years old. I contacted the dealer who was surprised as he said it had come from a recent delivery from Ricoh. Offered a refund if I returned it. I then contacted the Australian Pentax importer and was told by a guy there that he was not surprised at the age of the battery (as it would be newer if it came with a camera kit). I then tried Ricoh (japan) website for info on shelf life of battery to no avail. They don`t have a Contact Us option. I decided to keep the battery due to the hassle required to return it. Maybe Australia is a dumping ground for older goods! Would any of you guys know what sort of shelf life these batteries have?

09-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dont think there be any problem.

One of my D-Li90 (bought two years ago in 2018), manufactured in year 2012.

It performs just as fine as another D-Li90 i have which was manufactured in 2016.
09-29-2020, 03:56 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shelf life

no idea

but I am still using batteries, in rotation, that I received with the " experienced " K 5 II when I bought it back in the summer of 2016

no idea of the date of manufacture though
09-29-2020, 04:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

no worries

with my KP I am still using Pentax batteries from 2011 and 2013, I am rotating them regularly and so far, so good.

09-29-2020, 05:04 AM   #5

I bought a new-old-stock battery for my K10D made by Konica-Minolta. I don't recall the date but it was probably 6-8 years old. Charges up from "depleted" in the amount of time list on the specification sheet and barely gets warm. Seems to be performing to specs as a "new" battery.
09-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read that the life of this type of battery is measured in re-charges, not years. So sitting on the shelf is not a major issue. I also see Energizer and Durocell Lithium AA batteries saying they guarantee 10 years on the shelf.
I have D-Li90s with various dates. I think the oldest is 2011 or 2012. I've never tested, not going to use up the shutter actuations to do it, but I do not notice any difference in battery life between the old ones and new one that came with the K-1.

I did acquire a number of off brand ones with a K-01 I bought years ago. Never heard of any of the brand names. All of them failed within a year of my purchasing them.
09-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

It's the changes in battery chemistry over time is what makes them lose their ability to hold a charge. I seem to recall something about crystals building up increasing the internal resistance. Heat hastens the changes which is why you get less recharge cycles from quick charging. There is also a "vicious circle" as it were as the internal resistance builds the batteries heat up more during charging. The refresh/break-in cycles on like the Powerex Maha chargers can to some extent reverse the chemical changes.

Some batteries have a better standing self-life if stored fully charged. Some like Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) have better storage life at around 50% charge. I think there are some chemistries that will do better at 25% or less storage charge.

09-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have several of original Pentax brand and several of generic "Watson" brand I bought from B&H for alternate use with my K-S2 and KP cameras. The oldest pair have now nearly 5 years of use, while the newest pair are over 2 years old. No problems yet, and both brands have been reliable.
09-30-2020, 01:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a 2010 battery that is still fine. Maybe it has lost some charge, but if so, I can’t tell. I usually leave the battery in the camera until I use up the charge before recharging it.
09-30-2020, 02:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you, to everyone for your responses. I feel a little better about keeping the battery now. I have just ordered a new Silver edition K1 mkii and will be interested in checking the 2x batteries supplied with it when it arrives in about 3 weeks.