Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
SR has improved over the years, but cameras with higher pixel pitch also require more efficient image stabilization, if you want to be able to use the higher resolution.

The standard for measuring image stabilization has changed over time. I believe it was up until K3 all camera manufacturers had their own standard for testing the efficiency. So it could vary between manufacturers.
Later is had been a CIPA standard that all manufacturers have been using for image stabilization test. But is it a bit limited as the CIPA standard only tested with 2 axis of motion. It does not test in circumstances where 3- or 5-axis stabilization offer an advantage.

So the specification on image stabilization efficiency (number of stops) is not fully comparable on older and newer cameras. And it may be a difference in image stabilization between cameras or lenses even when the specified number of stops is the same. In general after adopting the CIPA standard most manufactures had an increase of 0.5 -1.0 stop in efficiency and Canon and Nikon change specification on their lenses. But I do not think camera manufacturers changed the specification on cameras no longer in production.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-02-2020 at 02:00 AM.
10-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
It won't get better than 6.3 stops. That is unless you can slow the earth rotation.
Earth’s Rotation Limits IBIS Performance to 6.3 Stops – The Center Column
That's for a 24 MP full frame sensor. If I got my numbers right the limit would be about 5.8 for a 24 MP APS-c sensor using the same formula (and 6.05 for a 36 MP full frame sensor).

But, as @Breakfastographer says, if the camera knows its location and which direction it is pointing it should be possible to compensate for that rotation. I have no idea if the Astrotracer would be sufficiently accurate for the task.

So now we know what we want from the K-new, right?
10-02-2020, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

BTW Canon claim 8 stops of image stabilization on R6 and R5 when IBIS is used together with an optical stabilized lens, or with the 28-70/2 lens without optical stabilization.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-02-2020 at 04:57 AM.
10-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
BTW Canon claim 8 stops of image stabilization on R6 and R5 when IBIS is used together with an optical stabilized lens, or with the 28-70/2 lens without optical stabilization.
I wonder how. My guess is by defining it as acceptable image quality.

"So if the image circle is really big, if the image quality on it is really good edge-to-edge, you're allowing the sensor to move around a lot, which will give you the image stabilization. And obviously that will vary depending on focal lengths and all the rest of it as well."
5 lenses that get 8 stops of stabilization on the Canon EOS R5 and R6 | Digital Camera World

It sounds like they are saying a great lens with 8 stops will still be as good as a good lens with 8 stops more light. Or at 1/1000 you might get 2500 LW/PH and at 1/4 you can still get 2200 LW/PH or something like that.

10-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Huh? To get beyond 6.3 stops, all you need is 2D electronic balance, compass, and GPS. Neural networks have nothing to do with it. "Neural networks" is not a buzzword for "software":
Artificial neural network - Wikipedia
I didn't say it was a buzzword. But neural networks are software. i.e. you can clean up shaky images after the fact much better than a few years ago with neural networks (among other things that the camera could also do like saving the SR sensor data for later processing). So I'm saying software will continue to allow improvement in shake reduction even beyond a hardware limit that might be imposed by the rotation of the earth or whatever.
10-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I didn't say it was a buzzword. But neural networks are software. i.e. you can clean up shaky images after the fact much better than a few years ago with neural networks (among other things that the camera could also do like saving the SR sensor data for later processing). So I'm saying software will continue to allow improvement in shake reduction even beyond a hardware limit that might be imposed by the rotation of the earth or whatever.
I looked at that functionality in Cyberlink PhotoDirector 11 and arrived at the opposite of your conclusion.

Classic deconvolution is still best for fixing blur in my experience.
10-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I wonder how. My guess is by defining it as acceptable image quality.

"So if the image circle is really big, if the image quality on it is really good edge-to-edge, you're allowing the sensor to move around a lot, which will give you the image stabilization. And obviously that will vary depending on focal lengths and all the rest of it as well."
5 lenses that get 8 stops of stabilization on the Canon EOS R5 and R6 | Digital Camera World

It sounds like they are saying a great lens with 8 stops will still be as good as a good lens with 8 stops more light. Or at 1/1000 you might get 2500 LW/PH and at 1/4 you can still get 2200 LW/PH or something like that.
It may also be because of other new more efficient tech. FI latest motion sensors with faster response and higher accuracy. Automotive and mobile industry has put high demand on this type och tech that camera manufacturers can benefit from. These thing may also be easier to implement more efficiently on a newly designe camera system that most likely have more computing power and faster internal communiccation protocols.

Pentax DSLRs may suffer a bit from having a system where the electronic design origins from 1980s and 1990s, where there may be bottlenecks in the system for keeping backward compatibility with the original design.

10-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

As the link from @swanlefitte (does that work?) or my earlier compilation shows, only five lenses are claimed by Canon to provide 8 stops of stabilisation on R5/R6 cameras.
10-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
I've only used Topaz. Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes it doesn't work out. In any case, the technology is definitely improving and deep learning has made major strides in the last few years in general.
10-02-2020, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #25
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ALLCAPS Quote
Happy 6 year k5iis user here. One of the things that drew me to the brand was the in body stabilization. I have "nervous hands," and my recent freehand use of longer focal lengths has been a challenge.

For those of you who have used the older cameras as well as the latest generations of Pentax gear, have you noticed improvements in the effectiveness of the IBIS systems? A more effective IBIS system and better AF in the k-new would almost clinch a purchase from me.
I have had K100D, K200D, K-5, K-3, and KP (also K-1ii, which has similar IBIS to KP). The IBIS has continuously, and quite noticeably, improved through this series. When I got the KP, and using it with lenses up to 300mm (the DA 55-300 PLM is a favorite), I just got the feeling that I could throw away my tripod (I actually didn't, but the additional freedom from the tripod for lower shutter speeds was wonderful).

In addition to better IBIS, the KP also maintains better noise characteristics to higher ISO values, which permits higher shutter speeds, also reducing the effect of shake.

Pentax IBIS technology has steadily, and significantly improved over camera generations. My personal expectation is that K-new IBIS will be at least better than KP/K-1 level, which far better than K-5 capability. And it will have better higher ISO noise characteristics than the K-5iis, so your shake experience should be noticeably better than what you have currently. But it won't be cheap.
10-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow the earth's rotation, neural networks, classic deconvolution?? I'm not even sure if you all are even being serious or just pulling my leg!!
10-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Slow the earth's rotation, neural networks, classic deconvolution??
Or google searches the FBI uncovers when searching a mad scientist villain's computer........
11-11-2020, 03:26 AM   #28
bvg
Veteran Member

It seems Panasonic S1H beats Canon R5:

11-11-2020, 03:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I wonder if this IBIS race is because the photographers are getting older, shakier hands or try to shoot drunken. If you imagine that Pentax was one of the first and the industry as a whole denied the necessity of it (because it's in the lens). Now everyone is raving about it. Strange new world.
11-11-2020, 03:42 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The whole 8 stops of IBIS seems over inflated. If you are shooting a 24-70 lens at 40mm, it feels like even with stabilization that is great, it would be a struggle to hand hold at 6 or 7 seconds, which is what that would be. My experience with Pentax is that IBIS works well till you get to shutter speeds that are slower than 1/2 second and then it doesn't matter what the focal length is, I can't really hand hold it. So, I can hand hold 60mm at 1/6 second and get sharp images, but at 15mm I can only hand hold to about 1/4 second before shake starts to show up.