Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To buy a k20d or not

Hi

Just looking for support either way / to buy or not to buy.
Great deal on offer k20d plus 70-300 sigma for $100
I have a k3ii and a k5 and wonder if the k20d would add any value.
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Cheers

10-01-2020, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a great camera but I canít imagine why you would ever pick it up over your K-5 and K-3. The K-5 alone is so far advanced from the K20D. I would not, but Iím not you. I might buy it for $50.
10-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

---------- Post added 10-02-20 at 01:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It was a great camera but I canít imagine why you would ever pick it up over your K-5 and K-3. The K-5 alone is so far advanced from the K20D. I would not, but Iím not you. I might buy it for $50.
Decisiůn Not to buy has been made.
Thanks again
10-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Free

Its cheap why not but then again a K10D has the ccd sensor not cmos like your other cameras.

Dave

10-01-2020, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree that it doesn't make sense given your existing equipment, but...it might be fun to get it and convert it to IR. I did this with mine a few years ago and it was an upgrade from my IR converted 100d Super. Not trying to get you to reverse your decision, but wanted to give an alternate idea.
10-01-2020, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I have a K-7 which has a very similar sensor. If I stay at ISO 100 and expose well, it's a fine camera. The limit is around 1600 depending on our taste. What happens at higher ISOs is not so much noise - a decent noise reduction program can handle the noise OK. The dynamic range plummets, so your shots have a weird cartoonish look. Since the camera has a top tier build and WR, it's good for a daytime hike or boating. Feature-wise, it still has the 16 segment metering, older low res rear screen, older AF, older DLi50 batteries. It's probably missing something you've gotten used to. If you have a reason to use it, it probably is capable of good shots, but it might be just annoying enough to not use, so the battery's always dead and where is that charger.
10-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.
Cheers
10-01-2020, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

With my K20D, the limit was ISO 640...
But I'll tell you what... if you do portraits, the K20D sensor renders people's skin and hair in an amazing way. Sometimes I think about picking one up again just for my family pictures.

10-02-2020, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
But let's remember the pros

1) It 'a reflex camera of 2008 (12 years in digital are an eternity)

2) It has 14.6 mpx, not 6/8 of the first reflex cameras

3) It has the vision side by side of two images that then disappeared (pity),

4) It has the Burst Mode at 21 fps/s for 115 frames of 1.6 mpxl in JPG (obviously),
Built-in flash N.G. 13 covers a 28mm and synchro X at 1/180

5) It is possible to recover the high lights by exposing from 100 to 200 ISO

6) The resolution of almost 15 mpx is not bad, and with the current software you can go to 1600 ISO and in some cases 3200 is enough to know how to use them, (6400 is an expanded mode).

7) Shake reduction not from menu but activated through an external selector,

And last but not least the wheater sealed protection, and many other features, not least the exceptional robustness,

I bought it in 2008 and had no doubts. In case it could serve as a defense/offense weapon.

Ciao Mario
10-02-2020, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

For what it's worth I still use mine occasionally. It is now a dedicated bad weather/ high risk (water/heights/temp/etc. ) body. I use it with the 18-55 WR lens. Image quality may not be up to "K5II with a prime" standards but it is still better than any action cam (never liked the pics of any Gopro) / point and shoot / cell phone. With some post-processing TLC it can still deliver.

Thanks,
10-02-2020, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Just looking for support either way / to buy or not to buy.
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Cheers
It’s the camera that moved me from Canon to Pentax. Although I went on through K3 and K1 afterwards I still have it and still use it occasionally. Although it doesn’t have a CCD sensor, the colours are just wonderful. Also, the infrared jpg effect was marvellous straight out of the camera. The lower resolution somehow made it more ‘forgiving’ about camera shake at low shutter speeds compared to the K3.

Yes, lots of other things have moved on technology-wise since. Dynamic range evaporates as you push the iso up. The small screen discourages chimping! But even now people look at some old prints and ask what camera I use, not realising it was that old. It does have a certain je ne sais qois about it.
10-02-2020, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Not anymore and not with your current setup. For sure, of all my Pentax bodies, the K20D was the all-out winner in terms of form factor. I loved the way it fit my hand with- or without grip. The shots I got with it I still cherish. But as stated elsewhere, high-ISO was nowhere near what we could find even slightly acceptable today. Even though I truly stand in awe of what my current KP is capable of, it still feels less good than my K20D did - or maybe I'm idealizing the K20D too much in hindsight. I replaced it with a K-5 and never looked back.
10-02-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote

4) It has the Burst Mode at 21 fps/s for 115 frames of 1.6 mpxl in JPG (obviously),
Built-in flash N.G. 13 covers a 28mm and synchro X at 1/180

5) It is possible to recover the high lights by exposing from 100 to 200 ISO

6) The resolution of almost 15 mpx is not bad, and with the current software you can go to 1600 ISO and in some cases 3200 is enough to know how to use them, (6400 is an expanded mode).

7) Shake reduction not from menu but activated through an external selector,

And last but not least the wheater sealed protection, and many other features, not least the exceptional robustness,

I bought it in 2008 and had no doubts. In case it could serve as a defense/offense weapon.

Ciao Mario
I'll agree with those... except #5. Even at ISO 100, I only had like 1 to 1.5 steps max to recover from shadows. Anything else and it was a blurry mess. That camera had the worst dynamic range of anything I've used... the K10D and K200D are a lot better for shadow recovery...

But I also want to point out how #7 is useful! I have always used that SR on/off button quite a lot, particularly with manual zooms that I set the SR focal length to the longer end, and when I'm at the shorter end I just flip the SR off. I'm glad my K10D and K200D also have it.

I would add point number 8) The JPEG engine is actually quite wonderful - especially for portraits, as I mentioned earlier. For landscape shooters or people who like to take pictures at sunrise or sunset, look elsewhere... And the four-star rated JPEG quality brings up some very nice detail to the images right from the camera with very little artifacts (my impression, anyway, could be placebo? lol). So for a JPEG shooter, where dynamic range for post processing doesn't matter, the K20D is actually a very handy camera to have.
10-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote

Hard to know what we should be comparing to, but the K-5 was mentioned, and with 24fps at 1080p in video mode (same encoding as far as I understand), it's a nice advance over the K20D. The 21fps mode is essentially the same in that the mirror stays up, only you get a movie file on the K-5 instead of individual JPEGs. But out of interest: Is the continuous shooting on the K20D unlimited, or does the frame rate drop after a while?
10-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Decisiůn Not to buy has been made.
Maybe a good desicion. I had one when they came out but gave it back after short because I got a copy with banding issues. Not all copies of the K20 had the issue though afain. I really liked it's ergonomics and features but for image quality I stayed with my K100D for some years longer. Another camera of another brand with banding issues I had for short was the D7100 btw. There is even a thread that shows examples of the K20's banding at iso 800.

K20D - Bad Sensor (Banding?) - PentaxForums.com