Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #1

Lens Adapters

Hello all, i was wondering if i could use my old Sigma SA 300 lenses ( 28 - 200mm & 70 - 210mm ) on my Pentax K100D and Pentax K100D Super ..
Are there any mount adapters available to accommodate this please ??

thank you.

10-02-2020, 06:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

When you say Sigma lenses, do you mean lenses with a specific Sigma mount ? Many Sigma lenses are / were available in K-mount, so these will need no adapter.
10-02-2020, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. There is no SA mount adapter for K-mount. But there is a SA mount adapter for Sony E mount, but it isn't cheap, so kind of pointless for consumer zooms.
10-02-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SA mount/lenses have a shorter registration distance than the K mount and thus can't be adapted. You wouldn't be able to reach infinity.

Though apparently the SA mount sort of fits loosely in the K bayonet.
I'm not sure if these lenses have any electronics, if not you maybe could mess around with the mount, shim it to fit snuggly or even replace the mount, but it's probably not worth it.

10-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As I understand Sigma SA mount has the same electrical interface and flange distance as Canon EF mount, but the mount itself is similar to Pentax K-mount.
So it may be easier to modify the lenses to fit on a Canon EF camera.

But I'm not sure it is worth the effort for these lenses.

Another major problem adapting Sigma SA mount lenses to K-mount is that aperture is controlled electronically on these lenses, so you would not be able to control aperture if mounting them on a Pentax camera.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-02-2020 at 07:18 AM.
10-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
As I understand Sigma SA mount has the same electrical interface and flange distance as Canon EF mount, but the mount itself is similar to Pentax K-mount.
So it may be easier to modify the lenses to fit on a Canon EF camera.

But I'm not sure it is worth the effort for these lenses.

Another major problem adapting Sigma SA mount lenses to K-mount is that aperture is controlled electronically on these lenses, so you would not be able to control aperture if mounting them on a Pentax camera.
From my current knowledge, that seems a strong statement. KAF4 allows for electromagnetic actuation of aperture. Is this known to be incompatible with how it works on SA mount? The location of the pins should not matter if one is making a major modification of the entire mount of the lens - you'd just have to reconnect the pins as needed as part of your modification. Again, assuming the underlying protocol is compatible, but the EF mount is old and Ricoh not generally known for over-engineering. Looking across at what Yongnuo is doing with old EF lens patents, I can't help but wonder what the status of the EF mount patent currently is.
10-03-2020, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
From my current knowledge, that seems a strong statement. KAF4 allows for electromagnetic actuation of aperture. Is this known to be incompatible with how it works on SA mount? The location of the pins should not matter if one is making a major modification of the entire mount of the lens - you'd just have to reconnect the pins as needed as part of your modification. Again, assuming the underlying protocol is compatible, but the EF mount is old and Ricoh not generally known for over-engineering. Looking across at what Yongnuo is doing with old EF lens patents, I can't help but wonder what the status of the EF mount patent currently is.
I think it is safe to assume that Canon EF/Sigma SA and Pentax K mount is not electrnically compatible.

Pentax K-mount have electronically evolved in several steps and that KAF4 version have become the same as Canon EF is not very likely.

10-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think it is safe to assume that Canon EF/Sigma SA and Pentax K mount is not electrnically compatible.

Pentax K-mount have electronically evolved in several steps and that KAF4 version have become the same as Canon EF is not very likely.
We're only talking about aperture, likely to be just one pin but this is presumably public information so could be checked.
10-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're only talking about aperture, likely to be just one pin but this is presumably public information so could be checked.
It's proprietary information and is not public. I don't recall anyone mentioning a patent filing anyway. Information would be passed through the data pin, and no one has ever publicly disclosed the data pin protocol. Power would be from the PZ/SDM contacts.
10-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It is not just the aperture than must works. For it to work the camera must first identify the lens as having KAF4 mount.
If the comminication between the camera and lens is not properly set up the camera will most likely use the default mechanical aperture control.
10-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's proprietary information and is not public. I don't recall anyone mentioning a patent filing anyway. Information would be passed through the data pin, and no one has ever publicly disclosed the data pin protocol. Power would be from the PZ/SDM contacts.
Please list me as a skeptic regarding aperture control being done via the data pin, but I haven't looked at this in any detail. It just seems like a really, really weird/poor choice. Especially where the data pin is concerned, there seems to me to be a risk of overloading it with too many duties.
10-04-2020, 06:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please list me as a skeptic regarding aperture control being done via the data pin, but I haven't looked at this in any detail. It just seems like a really, really weird/poor choice. Especially where the data pin is concerned, there seems to me to be a risk of overloading it with too many duties.
So what pin are they using? There are seven pins plus the power contacts. Six of the pins are passive.
11-16-2023, 10:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How well do adapters really work?

I am wondering if anyone has used adapters to get a longer "sports-able" lens from another maker to work on the K-3 Mark III. I would love to have the ability to use a 400mm lens in my sports photography and wonder if that is at all worth the trouble. I am hoping a 300mm f2.8 Pentax lens will come out, and I do have the 300mm f4, but would like to have the choice of a longer lens ability for my sports photography business. Any advice on those who have tried adapters with non-K mount lenses would be useful. Thank you!
11-16-2023, 10:14 AM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
I am wondering if anyone has used adapters to get a longer "sports-able" lens from another maker to work on the K-3 Mark III. I would love to have the ability to use a 400mm lens in my sports photography and wonder if that is at all worth the trouble. I am hoping a 300mm f2.8 Pentax lens will come out, and I do have the 300mm f4, but would like to have the choice of a longer lens ability for my sports photography business. Any advice on those who have tried adapters with non-K mount lenses would be useful. Thank you!

have you tried the FA* 400/5.6 or DA 560/5.6?
11-16-2023, 09:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
have you tried the FA* 400/5.6 or DA 560/5.6?
No...since I am frequently in low light, the lowest apperture, the better, so f2.8-f4 are my preferred. Thank you!