Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through this with Canon. My first dSLR was a Canon XT and migrated to a Canon 5D full-frame . While the quality was great, I got tired of the size, weight and those "L" frame lenses were thought of very highly by Canon (expensive). I started searching and ended up switching to Pentax K-5, and now a KP user. My KP does all that the full-frame did. Plus I liked the weatherproofing and stabilizing built into the camera. And even after owning the KP for several years I still haven't made use of all it's features. About the only thing that might cause me to switch would be a camera with a "huge" increase in low light capability. Like others suggested if you haven't handled both side by side, you need to before making a decision.

10-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I would like to see solid evidence of greater dynamic range on a D800 vs the KP. I don't think it really matters anyway; for the purposes given I don't think dynamic range deltas are going to be that noticeable.

I really think that sensor science advanced a lot in the years between these two cameras shrinking the differences in final output. So then other considerations make the difference, like value for money, easy of carry, ease of use, etc.
Don't own KP, but my K-1 files are cleaner, more flexible and show more detail than my GRIII files. I don't deny apsc has come a long way, but so far I haven't seen any apsc camera raws that are as good as my K-1 files.
10-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Go and read post 19.
The RP is still above $1,000... with lens, even more.

You do bring up a good point though, if the OP has upped the budget to $1,000 why not put an ad for a used K-1 in the "Wanted" section of this marketplace. I bet he would find one.
10-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The RP is still above $1,000... with lens, even more.
I looked at B&H last week...999usd,thats in his budget.Earlier this year U$D 999 got you the body and kit lens,that price will come back for the Christmas sales.I paid usd 820 for my RP last year.(body only)

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You do bring up a good point though, if the OP has upped the budget to $1,000 why not put an ad for a used K-1 in the "Wanted" section of this marketplace. I bet he would find one.
I own a K-1 as well, undoubtedly it out performs the RP in image quality.However,its double the weight for a start.A lot easier to chase kids around with half the weight and have a kit lens @ 24mm,a great landscape width.

10-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #50
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 10-07-20 at 02:24 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I would rather have a good 24mm optic on a 36mpix full frame for landscape shooting than a 15mm optic on a 24mpix crop camera. I think the crop factor to focusing distance difference is more of an issue at wide angles but it seems hardly worth mentioning vs. the benefits of the larger sensor at comparable pixel densities.

I know that a camera is a compromise device for most shooters and they're not going to own a camera just for landscapes and nothing else and I mentioned that. This is just one of the things that comes into the math on making a decision like this. I suggested the KP as the better camera for the given set of requirements.
Well, I don't quite agree with this! Just look through test results, and you'll find for whatever reason it is difficult to find even a 24mm prime lens, especially one that doesn't cost so much you have to remortgage your house, and nearly all will not have very good let alone excellent edge-to-edge performance at wider apertures than f/8. Even the Pentax FA 24mm f/2 is not all that hot. Check OpticaLimits. The DA 15mm f/4 Limited is better, and the DA 12-24mm zoom lens also at 15 or 18mm. I am reasonably happy with my lower-cost Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG, mainly for low light work, but not so much for critical edge-to-edge results without stopping down.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather carry my fine Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, or the very fine Pentax DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 on my KP than a very fine but big and heavy DFA 15-30mm f/2.8 on a K-1.

I've seen those using a KP stating they get fine results for a 16 x 24 poster.

---------- Post added 10-07-20 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxxoid Quote
I did consider X-T20 and Olympus for a moment. 12 years ago I had some Olympus mirrorless camera (I do not even remember which one), and it had the best image quality I ever experienced! Color and micro contrast were better than anything I ever used before or after. However, if I begin to consider all possibilities here (hey, Sony and Cannon have their merits as well), I will have to spend more time agonizing over my choices than I am willing to. I consider D800 just because this is what I can buy today, since it is sitting in a store next door.
The Pentax KP was designed to provide a DSLR alternative to such offerings, and it has been very, very successful! As to the K-70, it is an exceptionally good value for an entry-level DSLR, except lately the price of the KP has come down to the point of being a better value, since it is a much higher-class of camera, and not subject to the aperture solenoid failure.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.
10-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The poster's question of a new KP vs. a used D800 was a little surprising to me. I don't have a KP, but I have two Pentax K-3 II cameras and also a Nikon D800 camera that I bought used off eBay from Japan. My D800 came to me in mint condition with only about 1400 shutter releases and for about USD $750 (not including tax but with free shipping). I've been a Pentax user for about 40 years and a Nikon F4 film shooter for about 20 years. My Nikon lens collection is small, and I've not acquired another Nikon lens in a couple of decades, nor do I ever plan to. I bought the D800 to augment my teaching videos for YouTube primarily, using my existing lens equipment, and to experiment some with 36-Mpx images in my plans to buy a K-1 II. From somebody who uses primarily Pentax cameras, I find the layout of the D800 to be frustrating and not as intuitive (despite my long owning an F4). The D800 is a large and heavy camera, much more so than even my K-3 II cameras (they are also heavy but smaller). My D800 is spending most of its working life on a tripod, whether video or still photography. For walking around and hiking hand-held photography, it'll always be Pentax for me. I guess my question is: "why new KP vs. used D800" because I would go for a mint, low-shutter-count K-3 II over a KP anyday, as it is superior in many ways, and the K-3 II is a much more apt comparison to the D800. I went from a K10D to a K-3 II, and liked the latter so much that I bought a second one as a back-up. Like the K-3 II, the D800 has two storage-card slots -- but instead of two SD card slots on the K-3 II, the D800 has one for the three types of standard UHS-1 SD cards plus the much-larger type-I CompactFlash card slot for much larger file storage, which can be a huge plus for video. The battery life on the K-3 II and D800 is much better than on the KP. And I must say that I find generally that the automatic metering in my D800 gives consistently better exposures than do my Pentax DSLRs, so there's generally less need to bracket exposures (or change EV compensation), in my experience, when I really "need" to get this particular photo or that.

As for the D800, yes, the 36-Mpx sensor is excellent. Is it that much better than a 24-Mpx sensor on a Pentax? (I'm not considering the K-1 II here, as it wasn't posted in the original question, presumably because of cost.) It depends on what you're going to do with the camera, but for most people I'd think not. As for buffering and download times, I have zero problems with my D800 shooting RAW files, but I notice that on my iMac computer, it takes a bit longer to open the larger D800 files than my K-3 II RAW files. You should have a top-notch computer with lots of memory and storage space for dealing with 36-Mpx files. When I do long astrophotos, my D800 is much quicker at buffering the photos to the card than are my Pentax DSLRs. Funnily enough, I find that the autofocus on my D800 with a Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8 lens is not really better than using, say, my DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 lens on my K-3 II. With two Nikon autofocus SLR cameras and four autofocus Pentax SLR cameras, I would say that Nikon is over-rated in autofocus and Pentax is under-rated. The continuous shutter speed is slow (3 fps) on the D800, due to the combination of it having the larger processor with the larger sensor and to the 2012 technology -- for people who care about such things (I don't). One thing I found surprising, and that it has in common with the KP (but not with the K-3 II), is that the D800 has a built-in flash; the D800 has no built-in GPS but has a port for an optional GPS.

And with my D800, I get frustrated in that the menus and buttons are often two steps (or more) vs. one step in my K-3 II. There's no hyper-manual option in my D800, for example. And the D800 doesn't have a convenient way to quickly access custom-user settings (like the U1, U2, U3 wheel settings on m K-3 II). The Nikon lenses have frustrating quirks that my Pentax lenses don't have; for example, the Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8 lens has a finicky aperture-lock switch that you set with the aperture ring at f/22 (no "A" setting that is so much more practical in Pentax lenses), and I can't use the lens for aperture priority or shutter priority without that switch being set (and it's really hard to set). For me, I'd never consider getting the D800 if I didn't already have the F4 and my small Nikkor lens collection; but it's a useful camera to me in specific ways, and it is built like a tank (as is my F4, and numerous Pentax cameras too). I strongly considered the Nikon D600, D610, and D750 cameras before getting the D800, and my elimination of the first three models was because of the huge, pervasive, well-known quality-control issues that plague Nikon's manufacturing of cameras (oil droplets on sensor; focusing-defect issues, etc.); beware that the D800 is also known to have the left-side focusing problem, and Nikon has just stopped their free fixing of the problem. Final advice: if you don't already have Nikon lenses, don't start buying Nikon cameras; Pentax is much better as well as cheaper, and there are great older (film-era), used Pentax lenses of all kinds that can be used just fine on today's Pentax DSLRs (so the argument that Nikon has more and better lenses to choose from is not a proper argument). If you're looking for better video than you can get with a Pentax camera, buy a video camera, not a new DSLR system with video built in.

The original poster can also check this out: https://cameradecision.com/compare/Pentax-KP-vs-Nikon-D800

Last edited by cometguy; 10-09-2020 at 12:49 PM.
10-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
I would go for a mint, low-shutter-count K-3 II over a KP anyday, as it is superior in many ways,
In how many ways? Certainly not in image quality and low light performance. I am glad you like your K-3 II so much. I wouldn't have one unless that were to be all that is available from the K-5 IIs on for using my glass. Goes to show the differences in preference.

10-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
In how many ways? Certainly not in image quality and low light performance. I am glad you like your K-3 II so much. I wouldn't have one unless that were to be all that is available from the K-5 IIs on for using my glass. Goes to show the differences in preference.
(1) dual card slots (thus, much more storage capacity); (2) GPS and Astrotracer built in; (3) much better battery life (720 vs. 390 shots); (4) faster continuous shooting speed (and better buffering); (5) bigger LCD screen with better resolution; (6) uses same cable release as all other Pentax digital cameras (K70 and KP do not); (7) has a flash synch port; (8) no anti-alias filter, increasing sharpness; (9) presence of LCD screen on top of camera. My K-3 II autofocuses really well in low light. I doubt that the image quality is very different between the two

Last edited by cometguy; 10-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.
10-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Well said! I've never heard that before, but after thinking about it realize that you're absolutely right!

For example, I currently own a 14 year old Pentax K10D. I like it a lot, but the LCD screen on the back regularly goes black and I have to reboot the camera to playback a photo. That's just one of many examples of "flaky glitches" that I've had with older digital cameras over the years.
I have not had this problem with my 13-year-old K10D, I'm happy to say. But it stands to reason that all DSLRs will have problems as the years go buy, just like our aging computers and smartphones (and automobiles with computer electronics) do -- compared to the film-era cameras, where sticky mirrors were the main thing giving problems over decades (and I've never even experienced that). My K1000 camera from ca. 1981 and my LX camera from the 1990s still work as well as the day they were bought new. Thankfully, my other Pentax cameras do, as well, but I would not count on any of my DSLRs lasting more than 10-15 years without problems concerning the computer/digital components. It's hard to beat my LX for utility, which can operate fully mechanically with no battery; it's the ultimate camera to go out for weeks on the Appalachian Trail.
10-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

(1) dual card slots (thus, much more storage capacity); (2) GPS and Astrotracer built in; (3) much better battery life (720 vs. 390 shots); (4) faster continuous shooting speed (and better buffering); (5) bigger LCD screen with better resolution; (6) uses same cable release as all other Pentax digital cameras (K70 and KP do not); (7) has a flash synch port; (8) no anti-alias filter, increasing sharpness; (9) presence of LCD screen on top of camera. My K-3 II autofocuses really well in low light. I doubt that the image quality is very different between the two
Depends on certain specialties that may be important to some, but not so much to many others, while it is lacking in other respects. If the K-3 II has and does everything you need, and evidently this is the case, I don't blame you for getting another at a good price.

As to the specifics above,

(1) those who shoot thousands of images in a hurry, especially lots of RAW bursts (4), so they have no time to change the little near-weightless SD cards and would thus rather always carry an always much heavier camera- fine. That is their choice for this need. The K-3 II fps is slightly higher- 8.3 vs.7 and the buffer is deeper, but some have said the KP's will clear faster with results close. I cannot verify. As to (2) GPS and Astrotracer, built-in being convenient for those specializing in lots of night sky shots, also those wishing to always have an automatic record of where the shot was taken, but features easily added as needed by a unit added at will onto the KP, which has the very handy (to many) inboard flash that is omitted on the K-3 II. So the KP has all these features available. (3) battery life- just adding the battery grip to the KP makes it then about the same weight as the K-3 II making it (sometimes) as heavy, but then with even more battery life than the K-3 II as well as providing the added vertical controls and gripping surface. (5) The 3" screen of the KP has similar resolution as that of the K-3 II because the slightly fewer dots are reduced due to the screen being slightly (.2") smaller but then it can be tilted out for very handy use to facilitate shooting from very low or high positions- I'll take that trade-off! As to (6) cable release, I believe the K-70 does use the same old, but the KP can use a smart phone (advantage- can be fired from anywhere), or an inexpensive cable. (7) flash port- instead, built-in can be used as trigger. (8) you are behind- all Pentax DSLR bodies since and including the K-5 IIs have no anti-alias filter, including even the little K-S2. (9) I understand being used to a top LCD as I have been, but got used to being without when I got a K-r, as a second lighter body, then a K-S2. Omitted on the KP to make room for the new excellent controls while preserving the compact concept, but the pull-out screen can compensate- especially when on tripod.

I don't doubt the K-3 II can focus well in low light. But image quality in low light/higher ISO is quite a different matter.

The KP has an updated 5 axel SR system, and while the K-3 II uses the Prime III processor, the KP uses the updated Prime IV processor- the same as the K-1 II.

It would be good to have two dedicated AE-L and rear AF buttons instead of one being either/or- but in my case no problem since I don't normally use a rear AF button anyway. I would like having a dedicated VF DOF preview lever as on my K-5 IIs, however, yet there are many other neat features on the KP the K-5 IIs does not have.

BTW- your assessment of that Nikon equipment is quite interesting.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-09-2020 at 06:50 PM.
10-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #56

Funnily enough, I find that the autofocus on my D800 with a Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8 lens is not really better than using, say, my DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 lens on my K-3 II. With two Nikon autofocus SLR cameras and four autofocus Pentax SLR cameras, I would say that Nikon is over-rated in autofocus and Pentax is under-rated.

The original poster can also check this out: Pentax KP vs Nikon D800 Detailed Comparison
You are using an AF Nikkor Lens, AF Nikkor is the first generation screw driven lenses back in the 70s lens which were terribly slow. AF-D is faster with a screw mount and all the newer AF-G Internal focus motor lens are very quick focusing. The slow focus has nothing to do with the camera but because you are using a legacy lens.
10-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Where are you in Canada, if close to Montreal, I can show you my KP, the KP on Amazon is only $900 CDN. I got a great deal on the DA18-135 and be ready to sell My Sigma DC17-70 f2.8-4.5 as I dont use any more.
10-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
You are using an AF Nikkor Lens, AF Nikkor is the first generation screw driven lenses back in the 70s lens which were terribly slow. AF-D is faster with a screw mount and all the newer AF-G Internal focus motor lens are very quick focusing. The slow focus has nothing to do with the camera but because you are using a legacy lens.
Yeah, I was wondering about that... Makes a lot of sense. But not enough for me to go buying more Nikon lenses.

---------- Post added 10-10-20 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Depends on certain specialties that may be important to some, but not so much to many others, while it is lacking in other respects. If the K-3 II has and does everything you need, and evidently this is the case, I don't blame you for getting another at a good price.

As to the specifics above,

(1) those who shoot thousands of images in a hurry, especially lots of RAW bursts (4), so they have no time to change the little near-weightless SD cards and would thus rather always carry an always much heavier camera- fine. That is their choice for this need. The K-3 II fps is slightly higher- 8.3 vs.7 and the buffer is deeper, but some have said the KP's will clear faster with results close. I cannot verify. As to (2) GPS and Astrotracer, built-in being convenient for those specializing in lots of night sky shots, also those wishing to always have an automatic record of where the shot was taken, but features easily added as needed by a unit added at will onto the KP, which has the very handy (to many) inboard flash that is omitted on the K-3 II. So the KP has all these features available. (3) battery life- just adding the battery grip to the KP makes it then about the same weight as the K-3 II making it (sometimes) as heavy, but then with even more battery life than the K-3 II as well as providing the added vertical controls and gripping surface. (5) The 3" screen of the KP has similar resolution as that of the K-3 II because the slightly fewer dots are reduced due to the screen being slightly (.2") smaller but then it can be tilted out for very handy use to facilitate shooting from very low or high positions- I'll take that trade-off! As to (6) cable release, I believe the K-70 does use the same old, but the KP can use a smart phone (advantage- can be fired from anywhere), or an inexpensive cable. (7) flash port- instead, built-in can be used as trigger. (8) you are behind- all Pentax DSLR bodies since and including the K-5 IIs have no anti-alias filter, including even the little K-S2. (9) I understand being used to a top LCD as I have been, but got used to being without when I got a K-r, as a second lighter body, then a K-S2. Omitted on the KP to make room for the new excellent controls while preserving the compact concept, but the pull-out screen can compensate- especially when on tripod.

I don't doubt the K-3 II can focus well in low light. But image quality in low light/higher ISO is quite a different matter.

The KP has an updated 5 axel SR system, and while the K-3 II uses the Prime III processor, the KP uses the updated Prime IV processor- the same as the K-1 II.

It would be good to have two dedicated AE-L and rear AF buttons instead of one being either/or- but in my case no problem since I don't normally use a rear AF button anyway. I would like having a dedicated VF DOF preview lever as on my K-5 IIs, however, yet there are many other neat features on the KP the K-5 IIs does not have.

BTW- your assessment of that Nikon equipment is quite interesting.
You make lots of good arguments for the KP. I suppose that the Prime IV processor means that it takes less time to buffer images and put onto SD cards? I'll say this about the large LCD screens on the back of DSLRs: I don't much care for them except to quickly view the image that I just took. I generally keep them turned off when I'm photographing except to look at photos taken. Most adjustments in menus are done when I'm not photographing but rather fiddling with the camera when sitting at home, and I look at the exposure data/numbers through the view finder most of the time (or using the top-side LCD screen if I'm using a tripod).

Last edited by cometguy; 10-10-2020 at 11:51 AM.
10-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was wondering about that... Makes a lot of sense. But not enough for me to go buying more Nikon lenses.

---------- Post added 10-10-20 at 11:48 AM ----------

You make lots of good arguments for the KP. I suppose that the Prime IV processor means that it takes less time to buffer images and put onto SD cards? I'll say this about the large LCD screens on the back of DSLRs: I don't much care for them except to quickly view the image that I just took. I generally keep them turned off when I'm photographing except to look at photos taken. Most adjustments in menus are done when I'm not photographing but rather fiddling with the camera when sitting at home, and I look at the exposure data/numbers through the view finder most of the time (or using the top-side LCD screen if I'm using a tripod).
Not being a technical wizard, I have, however, seen descriptions presenting the updated advantages. Has to do with image processing, so that insinuates buffer clearing may be part of that. I know it has to do with color rendition, clarity, and also works with the accelerator for lower noise, as well as also the pixel shift feature. The 5-axel improved SR also additionally works with the pixel shift feature in dealing with hand-held efforts. There are some general descriptions in the overview presented, which you can view at B&H for both the KP and then also for the K-1 II. No doubt more accurately than I can relate. I do know the KP was developed after the K-1 II, and though the KP's controls are modeled after those of the K-1 II, its controls are actually an updated and improved version.

Whatever and however they have done it, I can also say that for convenient imaging when one would rather not take time for post process, the in-camera processing of the KP for high quality JPEG images right out of the camera is exceptional. Results are quite fine- the best I have seen. In this case, "Fine Sharpening" should be set up in the Custom Image processing menus.
10-11-2020, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Save up a bit more for a used K1.

While the D800 is easily on par sensor wise to the K1, there are a few things to consider.
1. Nikon DSLR won't get any emphasis in future Nikon camera lineup (as they have moved on to MILC w/ different mount; yes.. you can use an adapter....just know that you'd need one)
2. Best Nikon lenses won't be cheap and though you can get a pretty nice 28, 35, 50, 85mm (the more budget end ones) setup, its generally going to be on par w/ the Pentax stuff.

Other stuff
1. KP and D800, totally different beast depending on what you shoot. Shallow DOF with wide looking FOV = FF; Landscape/macro/non-shallow DOF shooting = KP or does not matter.
2. A K1 is where you want to be at, even with "so so" lenses. Unless you are super picky with edge IQ, most of the older Pentax lenses are fine and you just need to fill in some gaps w/ a lens here or there. So in the end, it might still be cheaper than a D800 + 3 new lenses to have a system.