Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
cant access DOF preview.

DOF preview in menu is set to Optical yet when i turn the dial i get no preview? i know its something obvious but i cant see.

03-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is set to optical, that means the camera will stop the aperture down (depending on lens type and mode) to let you examine the DOF through the viewfinder.

the only thing I could ever see with optical DOF preview, even on my old Super Program, is the at the viewfinder gets darker. I sorta can visualize the DOF, but its not obvious to me. Also, the closer to wide open the aperture is set, the less difference there is between normal and preview views.

Does that make sense?
03-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
kmccanta thank you!

i was trying to get DOF preview aperture wide open @ f3.5 and could not see the difference.

stopping the lens revealed the darker VF as you said. now that i see how it works i don't understand the merit of this feature.

thanks for pointing that out.
regards
03-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Akcelik Quote
kmccanta thank you!

i was trying to get DOF preview aperture wide open @ f3.5 and could not see the difference.

stopping the lens revealed the darker VF as you said. now that i see how it works i don't understand the merit of this feature.

regards
DOF preview is very useful when critical focusing is needed. (in macro photography for expample). The viewfinder gets darker but still you can see the difference in DOF when closer apertures are selected.

03-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Akcelik Quote
kmccanta thank you!

regards
Its to check the range of focus in your photo. Say you are outside and its very bright forcing you to stop the lens down a fair bit. But you still want to take that portrait photo of your friend. By using the Depth of Field of Preview function, you can see if the background is still blurred out enough to make a good portrait.
03-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks guys! i will take it for a proper test during the day..