Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax k-x autofocus adjustment help

I am trying to fix a backfocus issue with my wife's k-x. I formatted an 8gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card, saved only the text file created in wordpad to it named MODSET.492 with the text [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] with enter pressed after the text (same as carriage return + new line)? The firmware is 1.03. When powering on with Av +/- button pressed it will not go into debug menu. Anything else I should be doing?

---------- Post added 10-13-20 at 03:33 PM ----------

Figured out my problem: How to Force Windows Explorer to Always Show You the File Extensions (howtohaven.com)

The .txt was still hidden after the file name until I changed the windows setting in "file explorer options" to force it to show all file extensions by unchecking the box under the view tab that says "hide extensions for known file types." Renaming my file after that by removing the .txt I could enter debug mode and fix my back focusing issue. The camera is a whole new beast now! I am not super computer savvy but since the file does not exist anywhere I could find online it actually isn't that hard to make on your own. Hope this helps someone bring new life into their old k-x that they probably thought was low resolution but was really just getting out of focus photos!

Last edited by stillshot2; 10-14-2020 at 07:45 PM.
10-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good job!
10-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Just out of interest, how do you revert to normal, i.e. get rid of debug mode?
10-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Just out of interest, how do you revert to normal, i.e. get rid of debug mode?
When I first enabled debug mode, the screen went blank until I pushed the menu button, which kinda startled me at first, but after I pushed the menu button and everything looked as normal. When scrolling through the menus left to right there is a new tab that is hidden between two menus, in other words, it doesn't have a tab but it's there. When done with debug mode you just go back to that tab and there is a setting at the bottom where you can disable debug mode. And I left the file on my sd card in case I ever want to go back and make adjustments in the field.

10-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
When I first enabled debug mode, the screen went blank until I pushed the menu button, which kinda startled me at first, but after I pushed the menu button and everything looked as normal. When scrolling through the menus left to right there is a new tab that is hidden between two menus, in other words, it doesn't have a tab but it's there. When done with debug mode you just go back to that tab and there is a setting at the bottom where you can disable debug mode. And I left the file on my sd card in case I ever want to go back and make adjustments in the field.
Thank you. It's just I have a K10 I bought to try the CCD sensor, and it happens to have been put into debug mode by the previous owner. Haven't used it enough to decide if I want to leave it in debug mode or not, but I do like the subtle difference between CCD and CMOS.
10-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Thank you. It's just I have a K10 I bought to try the CCD sensor, and it happens to have been put into debug mode by the previous owner. Haven't used it enough to decide if I want to leave it in debug mode or not, but I do like the subtle difference between CCD and CMOS.
I don't think it hurts to leave it in debug mode, you just have to be careful not to accidentally change any settings in that menu or it could ruin the camera?