Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2020, 05:41 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 II is still market leader in FF sensor dynamic range in 2020

I find it interesting that the fantastic Pentax K-1 II even in 2020 is leading the pack with regards to maximum dynamic range and corresponding detail resolving power.

None of the newer and much more expensive competing cameras like Z7, A7R4 or D850 manage to compete here, even using a ISO 64 setting and much worse on a level exposure playing field at ISO 100.

Look at how no other camera is able to resolve the vertical details of the skirt here:

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

The Sony with a nominal much higher pixel count only produces moire and mud.

I do hope any successor model doesn't drop this industry gold standard.

10-23-2020, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. I have a buddy who just bought the Z7 but I won't mention it to him
10-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I find it interesting that the fantastic Pentax K-1 II even in 2020 is leading the pack with regards to maximum dynamic range and corresponding detail resolving power.

None of the newer and much more expensive competing cameras like Z7, A7R4 or D850 manage to compete here, even using a ISO 64 setting and much worse on a level exposure playing field at ISO 100.

Look at how no other camera is able to resolve the vertical details of the skirt here:

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

The Sony with a nominal much higher pixel count only produces moire and mud.

I do hope any successor model doesn't drop this industry gold standard.
Yeah, we Pentaxians know our cameras are impressive performers. One interesting thing I've noticed over the years is how different cameras can respond to different parts of that test image. I've seen comparisons in which one camera does best in one spot, and another in another. I'm guessing it's lens related.
10-23-2020, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yeah, we Pentaxians know our cameras are impressive performers. One interesting thing I've noticed over the years is how different cameras can respond to different parts of that test image. I've seen comparisons in which one camera does best in one spot, and another in another. I'm guessing it's lens related.
The Pentax lens used was the HD FA24-70.

The Sony used the FE85 Gold Master which presumably would be a better lens. Ditto for Nikon's test which used their 85 F1.8G prime on both cameras. Why wouldn't they have used the Pentax HD FA85 prime or at least the FA77 rather than a zoom? Oh, I know, that would have been fairer.

Didn't matter, K1 still tested better.

EDIT: For details look under the "i" on the test images.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-23-2020 at 06:58 AM.
10-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
In the image you can easily see that the Pentax image degrades towards the right hand side. That is either a lens issue or poor alignment of camera/lens to target. On the left side all combos resolve pretty well.
10-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
In the image you can easily see that the Pentax image degrades towards the right hand side. That is either a lens issue or poor alignment of camera/lens to target. On the left side all combos resolve pretty well.
Center resolution is very good on the Pentax lens they used (HD FA24-70), but degrades significantly towards the edges according to the PF lens review.
10-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have one, and it is really fantastic.

10-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is good information. I appreciate its being pointed out. I also noticed the other 3 cameras were oriented for more contrast, which of course would simultaneously reduce DR. The K-1 II is certainly holding its own high ranking. It has only been a bit over 2 years since its appearance, with its performance to still being first-rate, so I don't see why it will not continue to be highly-regarded for quite some time to come. That is a short time in terms of FF bodies.
10-24-2020, 03:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunate, really that this is the case. It isn't that there haven't been sensor improvements, it is just that those improvements have only added more megapixels, faster read frame rates and better video while the still image quality remains fairly static. There is still plenty of room for improvement on a K-1 II sequel, but I'm afraid that single still shot dynamic range and high iso performance likely won't be much different from the K-1 and K-1 II.
10-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax image quality is excellent. No question about it. Other brands just won't accept it.
10-24-2020, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. I have a buddy who just bought the Z7 but I won't mention it to him
Sure you will, Let us know his response.
10-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax lens used was the HD FA24-70.

The Sony used the FE85 Gold Master which presumably would be a better lens. Ditto for Nikon's test which used their 85 F1.8G prime on both cameras. Why wouldn't they have used the Pentax HD FA85 prime or at least the FA77 rather than a zoom? Oh, I know, that would have been fairer.
The DFA* 85/1.4 was released 2 years after DPR reviewed the K-1 II.
10-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The DFA* 85/1.4 was released 2 years after DPR reviewed the K-1 II.
Thanks Luftluss, that makes sense then. When was the FA77 released?
10-26-2020, 05:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks Luftluss, that makes sense then. When was the FA77 released?
Some 15 years before.
10-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Unfortunate, really that this is the case. It isn't that there haven't been sensor improvements, it is just that those improvements have only added more megapixels, faster read frame rates and better video while the still image quality remains fairly static. There is still plenty of room for improvement on a K-1 II sequel, but I'm afraid that single still shot dynamic range and high iso performance likely won't be much different from the K-1 and K-1 II.
Yes ^

It feels like sensor performance hit the limits of physics and they went for more megapixels or adding BSI for a tiny bit more high iso performance (usually at expense of DR).

I looked at the comparison's with K-1 and initially thought it was worse in the compare tool. Then I downloaded both RAW and JPEG and it's just that Pentax doesn't do JPEG processing as well IMO. The RAWS look great. This is the same thing that happens with my K-3 which is why I almost exclusively use it in RAW.

Taking everything in perspective ALL of these cameras have great performance though for the sensors as well as they're all pretty close in DR and ISO now. For me personally it's not purely the sensor that's going to sell the camera, it's the ergonomics of the camera body, the lense options, autofocus performance etc that is more important than minute differences in the sensor when zoomed in at the pixel level and then overexposed in post to see differences.

I'm much more excited to see something like Apple's ProRAW (combined RAW's) in the iPhone making it to FF cameras in the future and then we actually see a huge jump in RAW performance in DR because we'll get the cherry-picked data of a dozen RAW's into one great image to work with. If that ever happens, I hope it does.