Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Used K3 from outside the UK.

So I'm getting closer to my goal saving for a used K3. I'm gonna have it around Feb 21.

I've been browsing UK websites like SRS and Wex photo and whatnot but also looking on ebay where I see a lot of K3 cameras from Japan going for mint from around thr 420 gbp Mark.

My general question is, should I go for a UK sold one or is it OK to buy from Japan via ebay.

10-25-2020, 05:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shenloanne Quote
So I'm getting closer to my goal saving for a used K3. I'm gonna have it around Feb 21.

I've been browsing UK websites like SRS and Wex photo and whatnot but also looking on ebay where I see a lot of K3 cameras from Japan going for mint from around thr 420 gbp Mark.

My general question is, should I go for a UK sold one or is it OK to buy from Japan via ebay.
Have you looked on the PentaxForums Marketing pages? READ FIRST: How to list items - marketplace rules - condition key - feedback guide - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 10-25-2020 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Add image
10-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to bear in mind possible duty and VAT. Ducatigaz has purchased from overseas try Pm'ing him how it worked out.
K3's crop up on ebay pretty regularly, but prices are pretty firm, usually 300-400.
10-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
you can sort the forums' marketplace by country/region

and you can place a " wanted " notice as well

Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com

10-25-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know it's annoying when answer come in that are completely the opposite of what you're asking But, I assume you've come across the smaller, friendly UK Pentax forum Classified Adverts Forum - Pentax User.

As another aside, you've identified SRS and Wex as UK suppliers of used gear. I've bought several items used from Wex and I've been very happy with their rating. I'd similarly trust SRS. Personally, I'd avoid ebay or buying from abroad items like cameras. Rare lenses, maybe...

Good luck.
10-25-2020, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought cameras from ebay via those "[EX5++]" kind of sellers and it was fine, depends on the seller though I suppose. You'll pay VAT on top of course.
10-25-2020, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

I would buy one from the UK if I were you. There are rules for buying online in the UK (probably along the lines of the EU) and give you more rights in case of problems than anything you buy outside of the UK. No problems with high postage, VAT and fees to have the camera imported. Usually prices on Ebay are much higher than with your local(!) seller. Another option is (if available) to buy via Amazon.co.uk, as they sometimes have interesting offers of second hand gear on their website with the Amazon guarantee that if an item is not compliant with the description given by the seller. As you have saved for buying this camera I would not take any risk of loosing your savings. So I think you better buy at a local (UK) seller, after all they need you as a customer in these Corona times.
Good luck with acquiring your K-3!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-25-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Ooooh, those typos again.
10-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why go far Japan? I have nothing against imports and I've done a few but there's no shortage of K3's from UK sources so why take the chance?
There have been several K3's on the UK user forum recently as well as e-bay.
10-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi.
There is one for sale on the danish dba.dk for abut 342 pound, 2800 d. kr.
Sc is 12.791
You can take a look.
10-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Why go far Japan? I have nothing against imports and I've done a few but there's no shortage of K3's from UK sources so why take the chance?
There have been several K3's on the UK user forum recently as well as e-bay.
I'll have to have a look for sure.
10-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought a Pentax lens for 350 euro trough Ebay in Japan from Five Star Camera. Good experiance with that company.

But keep in mind you will have to pay Vat. I had to pay 100.41 euro Vat. (i live in The Netherlands)

So, my experiance, buying trough Ebay in Japan isn't a problem. And if you don't know the seller, just look at the reviews from other buyers.