Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 12:02 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Mark III Flagship -- Advantages over the K-3 II

Based on what Ricoh Imaging has disclosed about the K-3 III, I would find a number of advantages over my current K-3 II. I know that some of these features have been implemented already in the KP or K-1. Here are the main ones that I've identified so far.

User Experience
  • New optical viewfinder, which I would appreciate every time I put the camera to my eye -- potentially tens of thousands of times.
  • Refreshed user interface. I trust that the Pentax designers will do a good job here, as usual.
  • Improved LCD Monitor. Higher resolution; night vision mode; touch screen; outdoor view setting
  • Grip: optimized shape for more comfortable handling (although the K-3 II is very good already)
  • Similar control layout as the K-3 II, so no steep learning curve.

Image Quality
  • "Dramatic improvement." Based on what I know of the KP and Fujifilm X-T3, I would expect at least a 1-2 stop advantage over my K-3 II at high ISO values. Ricoh Imaging also promises improved IQ at low ISO sensitivities.
  • Shake reduction up to 5.5 steps. To be proven in real-world use. I get about 2 steps on average with my K-3 II (rated at 4.5 steps SR), so I would expect perhaps another step advantage.
  • "Sharp, accurate shutter action." It's not clear what this means, but there could be potential for reduced 'shutter shock'. With my K-3 II, I generally avoid 1/80 - 1/125 s.

Operability
  • Improved autofocus. For my shooting style and mostly-static subjects, I don't have a big issue with the AF on my K-3 II. However, I'd appreciate the wider spread of focus points and the focus point lever ('joystick').
  • Composition adjust 1.5 mm. I use this function frequently. Wider than the K-3 II at 1.0 mm.
  • Exposure metering. Potentially broader coverage of the scene for more accurate metering. Highlight-weighted metering should be useful.
  • Bracketing for Depth of Field and Motion. I would use these functions, which I need to set manually on the K-3 II.
  • Smart function.
  • Battery interoperability and sparing: D-Li90, of which I have several.

Wireless Connectivity
  • Potentially useful for using my iPhone for off-camera remote operation, or 'tilt screen' emulation.

It is possible that I might not realize significant advantage from several improved features: video, expanded buffer capacity, and higher frame rate. I don't shoot video, and I've not been hampered routinely by the buffer or frame rate on my K-3 II.

So, the new flagship camera is enticing for me. I'll wait to see what the retail price is in Canada.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-30-2020 at 05:21 AM.
10-29-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The up-to-12 fps speed in continuous or burst shooting is a big improvement over the K-3II. Even if you're not routinely hampered by the latter's performance in this regard, the higher rate of the new camera, along with its improved AF, provides the opportunity for more keepers in a sequence.

There's another small improvement I think a few folks might have missed... flash sync speed of 1/200s vs the K-3II's 1/180s. It's a small bump, but an improvement nonetheless.
10-29-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It certainly looks a significant upgrade. I'm not a K-3II user currently (ended up going from K-5 to K-1, as the K-3 high ISO did not really improve over my K-5 which was more important to me than the extra resolution for my use) BUT if I didn't already have a K-1, I would be looking at upgrading.
On initiially going to K-1, I did not care much about having GPS, or the tilty screen and I still don't care that much about the GPS (the pop up flash was quite handy for fill on the odd occasion) but now I'm hooked on the K-1 tilty screen as its genuinely a help with awkward composition (I do a lot more high and low angle shots etc than I used to, as its much easier).
That said perhaps the improved K3III screen will have a better viewing angle which would help.
10-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
It certainly looks a significant upgrade.
Agreed! As a K-3 owner, it only took a quick scan of the specs to understand that this new version is as big a jump over the K-3II and KP as the original K-3 was over previous models of the time. Whether I will consider the upgrade is hard to say. My K-3 is still serving me well and there is little on the "improved" list that touches on areas of "friction" I might have with the camera. I do see multiple areas that address PF member concerns/complaints/whinings regarding recent offerings and enough features that were not added to ensure a continuation of concerns/complaints/whinings for the immediate and near future, say until at least 2025.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Exposure metering. Potentially broader coverage of the scene for more accurate metering. Highlight-weighted metering should be useful.
The current metering covers the full frame. What the higher resolution sensor does is provide, well, higher resolution that might be useful for object tracking in coordination with the PDAF system. As for Highlight-weighted metering...while that feature was part of rumor discussions as a potential feature migration from the GRIII, I don't see it on the spec sheet as either a mode or a settable option. Edit: I see that highlight-weighted metering is included in the feature list for the new review page here on PF. I did not watch the video (short attention span), so perhaps it was mentioned there. Edit: Edit: Based on comment below, I took another trip through the specification list and there it was. I definitely need to get my eyeglass prescription filled.

Wi-Fi...I could care less. Bluetooth? That one has my interest. Joystick? Definitely have my attention.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-29-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Edit Edit
10-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If that AF is much better than in my K-1(it should be after all), I'll propably end up buying this K-3III and next K-1(III?). That 12 fps sounds great. I also like my screen with K-1 but it is not the end of the world, if VF is very good. I also would like to have great travel/walkabout cam. I had K-3 before K-1, but VF and AF was so and so. If this new is slimmer, and has all those things covered, I will get one. Not at launch because covid is not just delaying the launch, but it ate all my money..
10-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another thing to mention, the metering sensor is 300k pixels instead of 80k. That's quite a bit more and now it supports highlight weighted metering, which I find very useful on the gr iii. Autofocus is also connected to it, so it should improve subject tracking?

Edit: read specs from here, see under metering http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2020/20201027_029570.html

" TTL open aperture metering using 307K pixel RGBIr sensor, Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot and Highlight-weighted"
10-29-2020, 02:03 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering I just bought a K3 II, I don't want to know the advantages.

*reads the post anyway*

10-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote

*reads the post anyway*
Ha ha Don't worry, the K-3II is just as good as it ever was... and, at current used prices, a fraction of the cost of the K-3III. You get lots of great benefits with the new camera, but - quite understandably - you pay big for them
10-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ha ha Don't worry, the K-3II is just as good as it ever was... and, at current used prices, a fraction of the cost of the K-3III. You get lots of great benefits with the new camera, but - quite understandably - you pay big for them
Yeah, the price tag is a shocker. The K3 II is serving me quite well, so this isn't TOO tempting. The higher frame rate and highlight weighted metering would be welcomed, but that's about it for me. The one main event I shoot at is at a drag strip with jet cars running, which easily pushes a camera's abilities.
10-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the K-3ii. I have one and like it a lot and with its older brother the k-3 I've gotten some great astro shots and will continue using them both for that. In more normal shooting situations I wouldn't expect earth shattering differences because things are already good there. At ISO 100 shooting the sunny 16 rule you might be able to pull a little more out of the shadows but if your image is dependent on that I would question your ability as a photographer. I will frequently run both as well as a K-500 with the aperture block failure (I don't need body controlled aperture for astro) for astro shooting because I can. However it looks like it will provide a huge improvement over the K-3ii and K-3 having that back illuminated sensor, here is the data sheet on the sensor and as was pointed out in the astro group is the sensor being used in a very good stand alone astro camera.
10-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

*reads the post anyway*
As long as each of us is satisfied with what we are getting now, I with my KP and you with a K-3ii, there is no reason for either of us to consider this regardless of how bright and shiny it is.
10-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Considering I just bought a K3 II, I don't want to know the advantages.*reads the post anyway*
I know what you mean -- I've been happy with my K-3 II for nearly five years. Hope my post didn't prompt any anxiety.

The retail price of the K-3 III might dissuade some of us.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-29-2020 at 03:42 PM.
10-29-2020, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I know what you mean -- I've been happy with my K-3 II for nearly five years. Hope my post didn't prompt any anxiety.

The retail price might dissuade some of us.
I remain very satisfied with my K-3 and (little used) K-3II, both of which I've owned for several years now. I've no doubt whatsoever that the K-3III will be an outstanding camera, with serious and compelling improvements over its predecessors; and of course I'd love to own one, and - some day, finances allowing - I probably will. Here's the curious thing, though... I could sell my K-3 (in excellent condition) and K-3II (as new, v. low shutter count), my old-but-good K-5 and a handful of lenses I don't consider to be essential, and probably cover most or all of the cost of a new K-3III... yet - for now - I don't feel any pressing desire to do so...
10-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it does appear that there are improvements with the K 3 III over the K 3 II

not surprising considering the older camera was introduced in 2015

and the fact that technology progresses

the question is whether Ricoh is using current technology

however, since I haven't mastered any of my cameras I am not getting the K 3 III

[ famous last words - I mean I don't plan on buying one but if someone wanted to give me one free ]

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
. . . regardless of how bright and shiny it is.
hold on, its reputed to going to be bright and shiny

that's a new factor I hadn't figure on

hmmmm [ ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-29-2020 at 03:43 PM.
10-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the question is whether Ricoh is using current technology
I don't think any of us expects Pentax to be "bleeding edge" these days. If we want the latest and greatest tech, we can go to the bigger brands with huge R&D budgets. Recent Pentax gear tends to utilise certain key components (sensor etc.) that have most likely already debuted (and been proven) in one of the big brands' cameras, coupled with proprietary aspects that we Pentaxians favour. What's important is that Ricoh has implemented the K-3III's technology well - and I'm quietly confident that will be the case...