Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think any of us expects Pentax to be "bleeding edge" these days. If we want the latest and greatest tech, we can go to the bigger brands with huge R&D budgets. Recent Pentax gear tends to utilise certain key components (sensor etc.) that have most likely already debuted (and been proven) in one of the big brands' cameras, coupled with proprietary aspects that we Pentaxians favour. What's important is that Ricoh has implemented the K-3III's technology well - and I'm quietly confident that will be the case...
I think if you spend time on gear sites, things like specs tend to get way overblown as well. I still have a couple Pentax cameras, and the only place I ever found them lacking was birds. And guess what, it was more because of a lack of 600mm options than AF, even though the AF of my D500 absolutely helps. When I did use Pentax for birding way back in the day, I found it produced beautiful shots (some will even be published soon). And that was with a K50! Yes, I did miss a bunch of shots and some were REALLY hard to edit because ISO 3200 conditions aren't well handled on the K50.

Honestly, I think the K3 III will be an awesome camera, just not one I will buy because of my specific use cases (aside from birds, I am getting more into video as well and need some specific features). However, I might eventually pick up a used on six years from now just to try some of my Pentax classic lenses on it.

10-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hope my post didn't prompt any anxiety.
None at all, and that was only in jest.
10-29-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
None at all, and that was only in jest.
I thought so. No worries.

Sounds like you need a "Drag Strip Mode," which enables Helmet AF, 28 fps, 200-shot buffer, and noise-free ISO 6400.
10-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The up-to-12 fps speed in continuous or burst shooting is a big improvement over the K-3II. Even if you're not routinely hampered by the latter's performance in this regard, the higher rate of the new camera, along with its improved AF, provides the opportunity for more keepers in a sequence.

There's another small improvement I think a few folks might have missed... flash sync speed of 1/200s vs the K-3II's 1/180s. It's a small bump, but an improvement nonetheless.
Yep I saw that and everything adds up to a much improved APSC camera. I'm really looking forward to getting one. I'm sure it will make a fine companion to my K-3.

10-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

noise-free ISO 6400.
Second that need for NOISE-free!

Steve
10-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought so. No worries.

Sounds like you need a "Drag Strip Mode," which enables Helmet AF, 28 fps, 200-shot buffer, and noise-free ISO 6400.
Dude, take all my money if you delivered a camera that could do that!

...but only if that shot buffer was based on saving raw files and not jpeg.
10-29-2020, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K5iis and a K1. I was out night shooting almost 2 years ago now with a friend who has a K70. The K70 was his first dslr moving up from a smart phone. He had read the manual 3 times and played around with the camera quite a bit. Anyway, we were out shooting and talking about something or other. We were in "B"ulb mode (and astro was not enabled) and he dials in 3 minutes - I was jaw dropping astonished. Went over to my K1 and did the same thing. Wow, was I very pleasantly surprised.

Nothing about it in the K1 manual, but it's in the K70 manual (and I'm guessing the KP also) [page 51, note 4 at the bottom of the table]. Must have been added to the K1 in a software update, which was very nice. I would suspect that it will also show up in the K3iii, too.

The ability to go beyond 30 seconds in Bulb has been something that I have wanted for a long time. You can just dial it up to a 20 minute exposure. I've used it a lot at 3, 4, 5 and 6 minutes. It's just really really nice to have it automagically built in - just drop dead stupid simple and easy.

10-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Nothing about it in the K1 manual
Firmware update v1.40

Steve
10-30-2020, 12:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The comparisons are most relevant to those who have or are interested in a K-3 II, and less relevant to those having a KP or a K-1 II. This indeed does not mean having a K-3 II is having junk- it will remain a top-flight APS-C DSLR.

Since the new one is conceived as the next APS-C flagship after the K-3 II, it is thus aptly named the K-3 III. The main upgrades are not particularly in the realm of resolution- 25.73mp vs. 24.35mp is only a 1.38mp advancement. Resolution: 6192 x 4128 vs. 6016 x 4000 no huge shakes. The "improved image quality even at 100 ISO" would have to come from the new metering system and/or the new processor. The K-3 II uses the PRIME III processor, while both the KP and K-1 II use the PRIME IV with accelerator. The K-3 III will no doubt leap-frog to the PRIME V with accelerator. It will not doubt offer an improved DR. The K-3 II was rated slightly below the K-5 II for DR, while the KP has been graded as even better than the K-5 II, so it seems the newer K-3 III will be improved yet more, but probably not quite that of the K-1 II which has the advantage of being FF. Since the KP tracks closely behind the K-1 II, the new model will probably come in between them for DR, but this will be a marked improvement over the K-3 II, also in higher ISO performance. The new VF will be larger and probably brighter. It seems it will now top the charts for an APS-C VF. By larger this does not mean having a FOV like a FF VF; it will have an APS-C FOV, but it will be "almost" as big in viewing the image. As with the old 35mm film models, some of the older MF cameras had very large and bright VFs, and were larger than the subsequent AF models. Sometimes a bit too large, so seeing the info in the borders could be difficult. AF is supposedly greatly improved as is also the frame rate for burst shooting. Tracking should be better also with a large increase in AF points. Good news for BIF shots and other fast action. Then, video is said to be greatly improved.

Many improvements over the old model. The new camera will also be more than one oz. heavier than the K-3 II.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-30-2020 at 04:21 PM.
10-30-2020, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

This will be the first Pentax camera where the AF sensitivity starts from -4EV (correct me if I am wrong). All others before this were -3EV. I expect greater AF sensitivity and responsiveness in low light. Very significantly, I expect the HD1.4 TC to work a lot better with lenses having a maximum aperture of F5.6, like the DFA 150-450mm. It is the super telephotos with teleconverters that will see the biggest performance gains. This is something I've waited a long time for. Canon only keeps -4EV for it's top (read most expensive) cameras. Shame about the price though.
10-30-2020, 12:45 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As long as each of us is satisfied with what we are getting now, I with my KP and you with a K-3ii, there is no reason for either of us to consider this regardless of how bright and shiny it is.
Absolutely. The K-3 II is very capable, and not everyone needs faster burst shooting with faster AF, nor perhaps even higher ISO performance. And, a VF with 95x magnification is itself industry-leading, even though the new one is yet larger.

As to the KP, the K-3 III's advantages appear to be really very marginal, and the KP has some obvious features missing on the K-3 series. The new camera is also more than 1 ounce more than the old K-3 II, bringing it to around 1/4 lb heavier than the KP! To me, the KP appears as even more attractive than ever! But that is just me and my needs. If I had passed up the KP in favor of the K-3 II because it suited my needs better, and especially if I were a regular burst speed shooter, I would be very interested in the new model.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-30-2020 at 04:24 PM.
10-30-2020, 01:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Internal flash.

I greatly value the internal flash for on the fly fill in. I want to have it for 24x36 sensor cameras too (Nikon D700/800). I was hoping for a return of it in the new APS-C flagship. So I will keep using my lovely K-5 and I will consider a used K-3. If you think this comment is out of place tell me and I will delete it.
10-30-2020, 02:05 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I don't feel any pressing desire to do so...
Just wait till the full capability is revealed AND the launch price which will come down eventually as it normally does.

You are probably eyeing the new K to $ony adapter too!It could be the value item.
10-30-2020, 02:14 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if interested, the side by side comparison tool has been updated to include the K 3 III -

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-1 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
10-30-2020, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the question is whether Ricoh is using current technology
The sensor is current,processor and AU are new.UHS2 is current.ALL will be revealed next month.