Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2020, 02:56 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Just wait till the full capability is revealed AND the launch price which will come down eventually as it normally does.
Regardless of the capability, I'll be waiting until the camera is on close-out, or used examples have come right down in price. No new camera for me for 3 - 5 years, I reckon... which is fine. I'm amply equipped for now

You are probably eyeing the new K to $ony adapter too!It could be the value item.
I'm curious about it, but my expectations aren't high. If it reviews well and the price is sensible - i.e. the same or less than Sony's own LA-EA4 adapter for A-mount - I might well spring for one. Having said that, most of my favourite Pentax glass is in APS-C format, so... maybe, maybe not...

10-30-2020, 03:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
most of my favourite Pentax glass is in APS-C format, so... maybe, maybe not...
maybe it will cover FF or near,then just crop a little?

---------- Post added 10-30-20 at 09:08 PM ----------

No new camera for me for 3 - 5 years,
K-3lV then!
10-30-2020, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe it will cover FF or near,then just crop a little?
Possibly... but the field of view would be completely different. It's the combination of rendering and field of view that makes many of my lenses firm personal favourites. For example, I have the full-frame Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 in both K and A-mount. It's my most-used lens on APS-C K-mount... but on my full-frame A-mount platform, I barely use it...

---------- Post added 30-10-20 at 10:16 ----------

K-3lV then!
Ha ha No, I'm a value shopper these days. I'm happy to wait, buy an outgoing model and save big...
10-30-2020, 03:49 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
  • "Dramatic improvement" even at low ISO settings. Based on what I know of the KP and Fujifilm X-T3, I would expect at least a 1-2 stop advantage over my K-3 II
I'm not sure why you're talking in stops here. My understanding was that the sensor and processor was creating images with my better image quality even at low ISO. So I understood it to be about image noise, clarity and colour rendition. I'm already really impressed with the image quality of the K3, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what the K3iii can do with the DFA 150-450.

10-30-2020, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm not sure why you're talking in stops here.
Poor grammar and confusing wording on my part.

What I mean is that the K-3 Mark III should exhibit lower noise at the higher ISO settings, compared to the K-3 II. As well, Ricoh Imaging promises improved image quality at low ISO settings.

I've modified the OP.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-30-2020 at 05:58 AM.
10-30-2020, 05:45 AM   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Poor grammar and confusing wording on my part.

What I mean is that the K-03 III should exhibit lower noise at the higher ISO settings, compared to the K-3 II. As well, Ricoh Imaging promises improved image quality at low ISO settings.

I've modified the OP.
I'll be very interested to see what the dynamic range is like at base and low-to-mid ISO settings...
10-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
It certainly looks a significant upgrade. I'm not a K-3II user currently (ended up going from K-5 to K-1, as the K-3 high ISO did not really improve over my K-5 which was more important to me than the extra resolution for my use) BUT if I didn't already have a K-1, I would be looking at upgrading.
On initiially going to K-1, I did not care much about having GPS, or the tilty screen and I still don't care that much about the GPS (the pop up flash was quite handy for fill on the odd occasion) but now I'm hooked on the K-1 tilty screen as its genuinely a help with awkward composition (I do a lot more high and low angle shots etc than I used to, as its much easier).
That said perhaps the improved K3III screen will have a better viewing angle which would help.
OT, Kiwi_Jono, but did you use to use LightZone?

10-30-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
I greatly value the internal flash for on the fly fill in. I want to have it for 24x36 sensor cameras too (Nikon D700/800). I was hoping for a return of it in the new APS-C flagship. So I will keep using my lovely K-5 and I will consider a used K-3. If you think this comment is out of place tell me and I will delete it.
I am sympathetic to your point of view, as I work in much the same way. If I should get a K-1 II FF body, I will do so mainly because of some excellent FF glass I have. If not for that, I probably would not consider getting into FF. The imaging from APS-C has become that good. I already have the really neat Pentax mini flash for the hot shoe, the AF201FG, which is small enough to be very pocketable, and has WR construction. It is a very good alternative when there is no built-in flash, and has some additional benefits. It has a tilt design for ceiling bounce, and it is more powerful than built-in flashes. It is not expensive. If the features and upgrades of the new K-3 III would be helpful for what you do, this might be a consideration.

I too bought a K-5 after the price came down, and found it to be a world of improved imaging capability over my K20D. Subsequently, after the K-3 came, I bought the upgraded K-5 IIs at a great closeout price, which offered improved AF with some lenses and no AA filter for better fine detail. I was able to increase sharpening levels up one more notch to +2 in the "Bright" setting with this sensor without negative effects, and then also implemented "Fine Sharpening" to take full advantage of not having the AA filter. I mirrored the same adjustments in the "Natural" setting. Although my favorite has become my KP during the last couple of years, I still like the results I get from my K-5 IIs very much along with its controls, so I still use it fairly often.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-30-2020 at 04:30 PM.
10-31-2020, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #39
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only dream of this new camera! I have the K3, and am very happy with it. I'd love a newer model; but can't afford the pricing. So time will tell; I'll probably end up with a KP, and still keep my K3.
10-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope that whatever innovations we get will be evolutionary. I like my K5IIs' design approach to photography. I would be happy if the K3III will continue the current direction with improvements.
11-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I think it will be very much in many ways a continuation of the K-5 IIs > K-3 II > K-3 III, especially of the K-3 II, then also incorporating the new controls and the accelerator to reduce noise as introduced in the K-1 II and the KP. However, your K-5 IIs delivers very fine, sharp images and is better as to noise at higher ISO than the K-3 II.

I tend to suspect the K-3 III will be using a BSI sensor along with the accelerator, as I have previously expressed as a possibility. The new camera's spec indicates nearly double the grossly-exaggerated ISO upper limited of the KP. This can very well be a hint that the K-3 III will have one stop better high ISO performance even over the still excellent KP's capability. That would put it nearly even with the K-1 II, but I think not quite, as from sample images I have seen indicating probably around one to perhaps 1-1/2 stop above the KP's performance. The KP's capability is about one stop above that of your still very good K-5 IIs. The K-5 IIs also holds on to detail tenaciously at higher ISO settings.

---------- Post added 11-01-20 at 12:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I can only dream of this new camera! I have the K3, and am very happy with it. I'd love a newer model; but can't afford the pricing. So time will tell; I'll probably end up with a KP, and still keep my K3.
Not a bad plan. That would be a good combo. The KP is my new favorite, but I still have and very much like my K-5 IIs.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-01-2020 at 12:13 PM.
11-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Not a bad plan. That would be a good combo. The KP is my new favorite, but I still have and very much like my K-5 IIs
Tess still uses her original k-5. She still sees no reason to upgrade. She likes neither my K-1 nor my K-3, and the K-5 fits in the pelican cases we have, unlike the K-1 and K-3.
11-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
OT, Kiwi_Jono, but did you use to use LightZone?
No, although it look pretty cool. I'm still using RawTherapee currently as it does what I need at the moment.
11-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #44

I have a K-5 II and I couldn't be happier, but feature-wise it's starting to look dated, specially when it comes to video capabilities. 4K video will be a huge selling point with the K-3 III, as this feature was long overdue in the Pentax line up, IMHO. I just wish they had included a swivelling screen, like the one in the K-70.
11-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regardless of the capability, I'll be waiting until the camera is on close-out, or used examples have come right down in price.
Bingo. I had to blink a few times when i saw the price next to the feature list. Unless the image quality is *greatly* improved at 1600-6400 and the autofocus is dramatically better, this is way too much for a modest upgrade on the K-3ii, which can still be had brand new for about half that price from a handful of old-stock sellers across the web. It may not be apples to apples, but pricing it right beside the K-1ii doesn't seem right.