Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the K-3 is a great camera still. I still haven't made the move to FF, perhaps I never will if the K3III is priced well. The only thing that is meaningful to me is the autofocus, everything else is gravy.

11-16-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I think the K-3 is a great camera still. I still haven't made the move to FF, perhaps I never will if the K3III is priced well. The only thing that is meaningful to me is the autofocus, everything else is gravy.
I like the extra reach and lower bulk of an APSC camera. I think the two things that I'm keen for in the new camera are improved AF and image quality (especially noise reduction) over my K3. Given that the KP apparently had a significant improvement in noise, the K3iii should be an improvement on that, which would be really worth the upgrade.Actually, I'm also really keen to see the new viewfinder.
11-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
We were in "B"ulb mode (and astro was not enabled) and he dials in 3 minutes - I was jaw dropping astonished. Went over to my K1 and did the same thing.
Well you learn something new every day.... I could have done with that on my last milky way shoot when trying to do 2 minute exposures on my K-1. I don't do them very often so didn't even consider that it now had a timer.
11-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I only have a K5, with an AA filter no less. I don't think I'd buy the new camera when introduced, but what will be interesting to me will be dynamic range of the new model. It was the biggest advantage to me for the K5 over the K200 I'd had previously, although the extra resolution as well was welcome. I'd like to see improvement in both dynamic range and resolution again, as was the case then, rather than one or the other, as seemed to be the case with the K3 vs. the older K5.

11-17-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter

I'm eagerly waiting the official release of the K-3iii and to read some reviews. Higher frame rate, better AF, better tracking, better high ISO performance are all things important to me as enjoy photographing birds. I also photograph canine events fairly regularly and it's pretty much the same features that are useful with birds are also useful with the dogs. Price will come in to it though so it'll be interesting to see where it sits in my local market. Atm I'm certainly leaning towards purchasing one..... but then swapping out my Sigma 50-500 for the Pentax 150-450 is pretty enticing too.
11-17-2020, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #51

Can't wait to replace my K5IIs, although she still performs perfectly.
11-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I only have a K5, with an AA filter no less. I don't think I'd buy the new camera when introduced, but what will be interesting to me will be dynamic range of the new model. It was the biggest advantage to me for the K5 over the K200 I'd had previously, although the extra resolution as well was welcome. I'd like to see improvement in both dynamic range and resolution again, as was the case then, rather than one or the other, as seemed to be the case with the K3 vs. the older K5.
I made the unfortunate decision to buy a K7 as an upgrade from the K200D and while in many respects it was an improvement, the noise in the images even at 400ISO was disappointing. I then went to a K5iis which was a huge improvement in image fidelity. Initially the K3 didn't seem like a big improvement, but the AF was significantly better. I have barely touched the K5iis since getting the K3. You're right - the DR of the K5 was a huge step up from the K200D (although the jpegs from the K200D seemed to have quite low noise).

QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I'm eagerly waiting the official release of the K-3iii and to read some reviews. Higher frame rate, better AF, better tracking, better high ISO performance are all things important to me as enjoy photographing birds. I also photograph canine events fairly regularly and it's pretty much the same features that are useful with birds are also useful with the dogs. Price will come in to it though so it'll be interesting to see where it sits in my local market. Atm I'm certainly leaning towards purchasing one..... but then swapping out my Sigma 50-500 for the Pentax 150-450 is pretty enticing too.
I never had the chance to try a Bigma. I'm curious how its AF speed compares with the DFA 150-450. I had an old Sigma lens and its AF motors seemed much faster than anything I have tried from Pentax (but it was also plastic and not weather sealed). I bought the DFA lens over the Bigma because lens tests seemed to indicate that the Bigma wouldn't give me much improvement over scaling up an image from the DA*300.

11-17-2020, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to go out on a limb here.... and suggest the new K3 will be a 5 year on better camera in most ways than the K3.

Like usual, I'm not much help.... but do consider myself consistent.
11-17-2020, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm going to go out on a limb here.... and suggest the new K3 will be a 5 year on better camera in most ways than the K3.

Like usual, I'm not much help.... but do consider myself consistent.
I think you are probably right about that. I actually find the viewfinder the most intriguing aspect of it. I love a beautiful OVF.
11-17-2020, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most, if not all, posts above hit it right on the nail.

I had pretty much hoped that a camera succeeding the K3 should bring a few great things from other Pentax cameras and, I think, this K3III is the one.
Especially, for the type of photography I do most of the time.

Among other improved things:
1. better AF
2. better noise handling at high ISO (hopefully)
3. better viewfinder.

You really want that when you are "birding", especially in low light situations.
Really tempting but time and budget will tell.
11-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You really want that when you are "birding", especially in low light situations.
I have a photo of a "blurd" from last weekend where the K3 couldn't achieve a decent shutter speed in the shade at 1600 ISO. The noise above 1600 ISO on the K3 is unacceptable IMO. As an aside, I notice that the new camera has more user settings than the three on the K3, which is a good thing! I customised one for landscape, one for birds and one for night, but it would be good to have more options.
11-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #57
Veteran Member

The touchscreen is essentially a huge button so hopefully any settings/features you can adjust on the touchscreen can also be adjusted in other ways. Build quality should be good though, just looking forward to picking one of these up... 5-6 years later
11-18-2020, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm guess if you have too much money in your bank account right now and are trying to figure out how to disperse it, the K3 III will be more beneficial than a K3 II would be.
11-18-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I have a photo of a "blurd" from last weekend where the K3 couldn't achieve a decent shutter speed in the shade at 1600 ISO. The noise above 1600 ISO on the K3 is unacceptable IMO. As an aside, I notice that the new camera has more user settings than the three on the K3, which is a good thing! I customised one for landscape, one for birds and one for night, but it would be good to have more options.
Right on, Rob.
I fully understand that.
I should also have mentioned that the good old K5 still beats the K3 under low light conditions. With that in mind, one would hope that the new K3III would at least as good as the K5 at high ISO.
More and better options are also on my "wish list" .
11-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I should also have mentioned that the good old K5 still beats the K3 under low light conditions. With that in mind, one would hope that the new K3III would at least as good as the K5 at high ISO.
Agreed. I did try my K5iis recently with the DFA 150-450 but I found the AF frustrating compared to the K3.