Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will eventually happen, but I don't see a K70 replacement for quite some time. I'm not sure what could be improved very much to serve that market. It's by far the best value in the market now, and I don't see any of the other companies even being concerned with serving that market.

11-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
It will eventually happen, but I don't see a K70 replacement for quite some time. I'm not sure what could be improved very much to serve that market. It's by far the best value in the market now, and I don't see any of the other companies even being concerned with serving that market.
It could be an incremental upgrade of the K-70, you know like the K-50 over the K-30, which are basically the same camera. It could retain the body, maybe some minimal refinement.
and the rest could be some under the hood stuff like better processing engine, the new autofocus borrower from the K-3III, and so on...

I understand that the market is making all brands minimize their lineup, but I think there will have to be a cheaper enthusiast option from the Pentax lineup.
11-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
There has always been an entry level (K30/50/70) so I fully expect another. Regarding the KP, this is an innovative unit that doesn't appeal to everyone. It is a premium camera that still stacks up well against the K3iii but I think it is one you grow to love then love it for life, hence the bad reception from parts of the press (mainly about the grips). The KP was never entry level as its opening price point was near to $1300. I can see a new K70 but I think the KP was a glorious journey into left field that may not be repeated for a while.

Can you tell that I love my KP?
Absolutely agree...as a relatively new KP owner, this camera is so sweet and the build is fantastic, won't be looking at anything else for awhile even though I initially had my sights on the k-new. I never realized all of the similarity to the K-1. I "graduated" from the K-S2 which to me had many attributes that the K-70 enhanced, so I can see people looking for some of the desired features--articulating screen, aesthetics, ergonomics- at an affordable price going forward. The KP is just different and as you say a journey into "left field" that is quite nice.
11-02-2020, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Can we not let the K3 3 hit the shelves first before worrying about the K 70 update ?
I think its fair to say Pentax is not a consumerism company so just.........
It will come when it is ready.

Dave
Perhaps those that cannot afford the new K3III, are interested in a K70 update, or a KP. I'm sure many will enjoy this thread.

11-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-70 was released with a list price of $650 USD, which is only $147 less than the current price of the KP. At this point in time it might not be possible for Pentax to profitably produce a compelling sub-$600 DSLR.
11-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Not sure what else someone might want in a K70-2? It’s probably the best bang-for-the-buck camera out there.
Except for repeated problems with the aperture control.
I fully expect Pentax to replace the solenoid control - otherwise they cannot express the hope they have of being a "premium brand" and, frankly, they would deserve properly written lawsuits.
I know that we do not know for certain what the actual failure rate is of the K-70, but the solenoid is clearly its weakest part.
11-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-70 was released with a list price of $650 USD, which is only $147 less than the current price of the KP. At this point in time it might not be possible for Pentax to profitably produce a compelling sub-$600 DSLR.
I agree with that. I think the KP and K70 lines will probably merge, or even that no more APS-C DSLRs will produced except the K3iii and successors!

11-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope they continue the line, it will depend on the sales figures for the existing very well featured K-70.
Will adding more functionality make it more attractive?, who knows, it already excels for the price.

I can see why sales will have been hindered by the previous ABF issues, even in my mind and I fixed mine.
11-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No rumors of such. In the mean time, it is a great value.

Steve
And someone on this forum is going to get on for free.
11-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Except for repeated problems with the aperture control.
This is true, but would it sound good in an advertisement? New K-90, just like the K-70 except without a lousy aperture motor!

K-70/K-S2/K-30 owners will just wait until their current camera dies before replacing, but a new-to-market camera needs some reason to get people with perfectly functioning cameras to upgrade. The megapixel war is petering out, ISO sensitivity isn't getting better very quickly, and I can't imagine a compelling feature that would make me upgrade. Dual card slots, focus tracking, bigger batteries and larger viewfinders will be flagship-only features, so I don't think relevant to a K-70 replacement (but may get me to finally spring for a flagship). I only upgraded from K-S2 to K-70 because I scratched (very small) the sensor and cracked the flash housing, and the cost isn't a big problem for me. Otherwise, I could have limped along with my K-S2 for a few more years. I honestly don't notice much improvement in my shots day-to-day. Yes, high-ISO is better, and that is something nice, but will it be much better in the next-gen?
11-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've wondered if the K-70 is the last of that line and the KP is the start of a vaguely similar replacement, where KP type cameras pick up the folks that are more cost conscious and also where some different things are tried out. Then the K-3's for a top-flight APS-C body on top of that, and then K-1's for full-frame shooters.

It's really hard for anyone outside of a few people inside Ricoh to have any idea for sure.
That's a neat idea, though the K70 is really the budget end of the lineup, I feel like replacing it with the KP might not be the best move, unless they drop the price of the KP.

I've always wanted to get a K70 as a backup body. Flip screen!
11-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
That's a neat idea, though the K70 is really the budget end of the lineup, I feel like replacing it with the KP might not be the best move, unless they drop the price of the KP.

I've always wanted to get a K70 as a backup body. Flip screen!
I've never bought an entry level camera just because I figured the higher end body will be more reliable and rugged. I have seen the KP for great prices, I'm sure it will happen again.
11-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm thinking that Pentax may combine the K-70 and KP lines - using a stepper motor to control the aperture and a articulating LCD for those who want them since they have more flexibility than the flippy LCD.
It's my understanding that at least when Kaiman Wong uses the term "flippy", it refers to full articulation, including the ability to flip forwards for selfies. He seems to be the most frequent user of the term "flippy".
11-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Not sure what else someone might want in a K70-2? It’s probably the best bang-for-the-buck camera out there.
I can really only think of a couple of things worth improving on the K-70 - Peace of mind that the aperture solenoid isn't going to fail, and better video. Maybe better AF might be a third feature.

Given that it's the current entry level Pentax, I don't think I'd expect a whole lot of extra features that would eat into the market for higher end models, or else push the price up.

I think having a good entry level, mid-range, and high end, but at good value for money is far less confusing than the myriad of options some other brands offer.

I'd imagine long term, improvements in the sensor and processing in the K-3 III could trickle down to a K-70 successor. The K-5 II and K-30 coexisted with similar sensor specs but different price points as do the KP and K-70, so it's conceivable the same could happen again, but Ricoh needs to sell some K-3 IIIs first to cover development costs.
11-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #30
Pentaxian

K-70 +/- KP = in some form, and with a "white-type" solenoid -> "K-90"???