Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax k-70 successor

Is there a possibility of a Pentax k-70 successor?

11-01-2020, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure there will eventually be one, given the upcoming release of the K-3 III. My guess would be some time in 2022?

Until then I also feel that the K-70 represents a great value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've wondered if the K-70 is the last of that line and the KP is the start of a vaguely similar replacement, where KP type cameras pick up the folks that are more cost conscious and also where some different things are tried out. Then the K-3's for a top-flight APS-C body on top of that, and then K-1's for full-frame shooters.

It's really hard for anyone outside of a few people inside Ricoh to have any idea for sure.
11-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
No rumors of such. In the mean time, it is a great value.

Steve

11-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've wondered if the K-70 is the last of that line and the KP is the start of a vaguely similar replacement, where KP type cameras pick up the folks that are more cost conscious and also where some different things are tried out. Then the K-3's for a top-flight APS-C body on top of that, and then K-1's for full-frame shooters.

It's really hard for anyone outside of a few people inside Ricoh to have any idea for sure.
I'm thinking that Pentax may combine the K-70 and KP lines - using a stepper motor to control the aperture and a articulating LCD for those who want them since they have more flexibility than the flippy LCD.
11-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes there is. (A possibility)
11-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

reh: Yes, I could see something like that happening. I'm thinking the K-70/KP getting a single replacement for both and it's a bit smaller than the top-flight APS-C cameras and a bit different in one way or another and maybe not quite the value fighter that the K-70 has been.

11-01-2020, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

Can we not let the K3 3 hit the shelves first before worrying about the K 70 update ?
I think its fair to say Pentax is not a consumerism company so just.........
It will come when it is ready.

Dave
11-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm thinking the K-70/KP getting a single replacement for both and it's a bit smaller than the top-flight APS-C cameras and a bit different in one way or another and maybe not quite the value fighter that the K-70 has been.
I agree that the mostly metal KP will likely go away, but feel pretty strongly that the K-70 replacement will have a form factor similar to the current K-70 (significantly smaller and lighter than the K-3iii or the KP) and be plastic bodied as well. I would expect an more robust aperture control, though perhaps not the full-on mirror/aperture isolated mechanism found on the K-3s, KP, and K-1. I would expect carry-over of the existing sensor and metering with an update to the image processor and a major update to the 27 point SAFOX 11 AF from the KP. A big question would be how sweet the video feature might be. Having that as a strong point would be a major market plus.

I would not expect any firm rumors before early summer 2021 and nothing on the shelves until 2022. Price point about the same as where the K-70 launched.

Steve
11-01-2020, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what else someone might want in a K70-2? It’s probably the best bang-for-the-buck camera out there.
11-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

There should be one. The K-xx line must continue. Not all likes the retro look of the KP or the weight of a high end APSC. Furthermore, the flippy screen is essential to some Pentax users. Well maybe, if they'll put in the flippy screen on the K3-IV, I'll be very happy.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 11-01-2020 at 11:14 PM.
11-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Not sure what else someone might want in a K70-2? It’s probably the best bang-for-the-buck camera out there.
Agreed. Mine came at an offer. I can hardly imagine something better for the money. It also performs pretty well in every situation. The construction is robust and the ergonomics are very pleasing.
With the K3III it’s unlikely that there’s gonna be a new APS-C soon.
11-02-2020, 03:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

There was a rumor sometime ago for a new APS-C camera(except the K3-III) on pentaxrumors, so K-90...?
11-02-2020, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There has always been an entry level (K30/50/70) so I fully expect another. Regarding the KP, this is an innovative unit that doesn't appeal to everyone. It is a premium camera that still stacks up well against the K3iii but I think it is one you grow to love then love it for life, hence the bad reception from parts of the press (mainly about the grips). The KP was never entry level as its opening price point was near to $1300. I can see a new K70 but I think the KP was a glorious journey into left field that may not be repeated for a while.

Can you tell that I love my KP?
11-02-2020, 05:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Agreed, but a couple of refined aspects may be battery life, dual memory cards, Bluetooth for smart phone connection!