Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What would be a K-5IIs upgrade?

Hey guys,

Due to economic reasons I had to sell my k-5iis, but soon I will want to get another body (I still have lenses). Due to the new models and lines I am little confused, What would be an upgrade?

11-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Any of the recent models would be an upgrade in several ways. From AF to image quality. If you want similar ergonomics and build quality though I'd go with something from the K-3 series. Probably a K-3II.
11-02-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are talking about current cameras, the KP would be a huge upgrade in many ways, but is not in the "flagship" line that the K5ii occupied. It lacks a few features that the K3/K3ii have, but has more recent tech and in particular better low light capabilities. The K3iii is due for release at the end of February and promises to blow them all away, though it is sure to be very expensive, at least initially.

Personally, if I were buying a new Pentax APS-C at the moment and the K3iii were too expensive, I would happily opt for the KP. There are some good prices around if you are prepared to search (e.g., US$797 at B&H, which is $300 off normal price). You may also be able to find some second hand.

I would steer clear of the K30/K50 due to their aperture block failure issues.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-03-2020 at 01:17 PM.
11-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
Hey guys,

Due to economic reasons I had to sell my k-5iis, but soon I will want to get another body (I still have lenses). Due to the new models and lines I am little confused, What would be an upgrade?
All the latest models (K-3 II, KP, and K-1 for full-frame) are upgrades. You can do a quick specs comparison here:

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-5 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

If you want the latest and greatest, the K-3 III will be out around Spring 2021.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to keep the same battery and body style then the K-3 or K-3II would be the direct successors. The K-3III will be available next spring.

There is also the K-70 and KP but those are different batteries and body styles.

If you lenses are full frame capable you might consider the K-1 or K-1II but that is a much bigger and heavier camera.
11-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the KP, K-1II, or wait for the K-3III that will be released next year. Any currently produced model will be an upgrade in several ways. Use the camera comparison tool on this website to see the specs for each, you know what matters most to you.
11-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simple answer is anything currently made or the K-3 and K-3ii would be an upgrade. However if I were in your situation my real question would be what problem am I trying to solve. Since it sounds like your problem is I need a body then it comes down to what lenses do you own. If they are mostly APS-C then that removes the K-1 but if they are mostly full frame then the K-1 is a great option. In your situation I would figure out what I want to spend and see what is available for what I would want to spend.

11-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hey guys,

The camera to get depends partly on the type of photography you do.

Wildlife, sports, or other action where burst speed and buffer size are important: Get a K-3 or K-3ii. The line is discontinued so you will probably have to buy used not new.

Low light, landscapes, general usage: Either the K-70 or KP. The KP will be a bit better than K-70 in low light but cost more. Either camera will have better image quality and autofocus than your old K-5ii.

If you take the camera out in very bad weather and prioritize construction quality and weatherproofing, then you might want to get the K-3 or K-3ii over the KP or K-70, even for low light.
11-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey guys,

Lots of good options put out there. K3 or K3ii, which are virtually identical to each other, are the logical upgrade. One thing that is not an upgrade us the battery life, the k5 is a beast in this respect.
11-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is the side by side comparison tool that Adam linked to but I added what is expected with the new K 3 III expected to be released next February

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
11-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Even a K-3 would be an upgrade, though the most obvious would be any current model + the K-3II.

Steve
11-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from a K-5IIs to a KP, and have been very happy. I shouldn't say 'from', because I still use the K-5IIs. If you consider getting a used K-3/K-3II, keep in mind that its shutter is rated at 200,000 clicks; the K-5 and KP are only rated at 100,000. So, a used K-3 with 50,000 clicks is not really a 'high' shutter count.
11-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was shooting wth the original K-5, which I had bought new, when the K-3 came out. After many reviews, test reports, etc. I saw a great deal on a new left-over K-5 IIs, and decided to get that instead. Have never been sorry for that decision- it is still an exceptionally fine-performing camera.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I went from a K-5IIs to a KP, and have been very happy. I shouldn't say 'from', because I still use the K-5IIs. If you consider getting a used K-3/K-3II, keep in mind that its shutter is rated at 200,000 clicks; the K-5 and KP are only rated at 100,000. So, a used K-3 with 50,000 clicks is not really a 'high' shutter count.
Same here. The KP is a wonderful, high-perfromiing and well-built, unique model. Great imaging. I also bought the optional battery grip for events where I want longer battery life to avoid being interrupted for battery changes. It also has controls for extensive vertical shooting, and provides additional gripping surface and balance with larger lenses, and with this installed the KP is only about the same weight as the K-3 II alone. Its pull-out and tilt ear screen can be great in LV for shooting from above head positions, or at a low position. Its new controls design for quick and easy adjustments are also a very good feature, and help make up for a couple of the K-5's dedicated controls being assignable to alternate-function buttons, and the lack of top LCD to accommodate the new controls.

Be aware as to the K-5 IIs being a bit better for higher ISO performance, DR, and also the K-3 II as well as the forthcoming new K-3 III being without a built-in flash.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-02-2020 at 04:21 PM.
11-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I was shooting wth the original K-5, which I had bought new, when the K-3 came out. After many reviews, test reports, etc. I saw a great deal on a new left-over K-5 IIs, and decided to get that instead. Have never been sorry for that decision- it is still an exceptionally fine-performing camera.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 04:13 PM ----------

Same here. The KP is a wonderful, high-perfromiing and well-built, unique model. Great imaging. I also bought the optional battery grip for events where I want longer battery life to avoid being interrupted for battery changes. It also has controls for extensive vertical shooting, and provides additional gripping surface and balance with larger lenses, and with this installed the KP is only about the same weight as the K-3 II alone. Its pull-out and tilt ear screen can be great in LV for shooting from above head positions, or at a low position. Its new controls design for quick and easy adjustments are also a very good feature, and help make up for a couple of the K-5's dedicated controls being assignable to alternate-function buttons, and the lack of top LCD to accommodate the new controls.

Be aware as to the K-5 IIs being a bit better for higher ISO performance, DR, and also the K-3 II as well as the forthcoming new K-3 III being without a built-in flash.
I have used the built-in flash on my K-5 to provide fill lots of times, so I would like to retain that feature in any future cameras. Unfortunately, anything close to a flagship body is forgoing flash (though the addition of Astrotracer functionality lessens the sting a little). I guess I could continue to shoot RAW and pull out the shadow details with Photoshop...
11-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a different thought, buy a k7 and get shooting and saving for the K3iii 😀