Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How long is the pentax warranty?

The USB port on my K100d just packed it in. I have tried it on 3 computers using 2 different cables and no luck!

Of course the only card reader i have here won't work with my macs. I got my images in the end but what a pain in the A55.

Anyone know how long the warranty is? I doubt it's covered but i'm sure getting it fixed is going to be more expensive than what a k100d body is worth.

Damn consumer electronics!

mike

11-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All covered by 12 mths warranty unless you have extented warranty

cheers
11-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought so... just another reason to upgrade. hahahah

I do want to hold out until the K20 replacement comes out though so i guess it will be a long wait.

I'll just have to go and get a card reader that works with Macs.

The fact that the USB port died does worry me though will it also happen on a k20d after approx 2 years? Not a good sign. I had hoped that the camera would not break for 5 years.

mike
11-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I thought Pentax cameras came with a 2 year warranty, out of which 1 year international warranty.

11-10-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks ftpaddict..... but it is just over 2years anyway.

I figure that cameras are like computers now. A 3 year old camera is so behind the newest ones that it is obsolete. Maybe i should just get a k200d or it's replacement (rather than the k20d) because it will become worthless anyway....quickly.

Treat the body as a disposable item and pour the money into glass.

mike
11-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
per
Inactive Account

Better to have a card reader anyway, i have one permanently fixed in my expresscard slot on my macbook pro. USB ports get worn out after some time so plugging stuff in and out all the time really isnt such a good idea for both camera and mac, better to use a card reader, its also faster since the computer doesent have to recognize the camera all the time
11-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #7

In the UK if you buy from a Pentax Pro Centre then you get a 2 year warranty, otherwise it's just a 1 year warranty as standard.

I never thought I would use a card reader until I tried the one built in to my laptop and it's so much quicker I never use the cable now. I also got some USB ones included when I bought my SanDisk Extreme III cards.

11-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #8

In the between time, if your printer has a card slot you could always use that. Plug the card into the printer, and the printer to the computer. Just pull the picks off of the card from there when the card mounts.
11-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I doubt it's covered but i'm sure getting it fixed is going to be more expensive than what a k100d body is worth.
True, but a card reader is, what, $10? Not to mention much faster and more convenient than using a USB connection to the camera. I'm surprised they bother even putting USB ports on cameras these days.
11-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm surprised they bother even putting USB ports on cameras these days.
sometimes you need to control the camera from PC or do some diagnostics/tuning... USB is the way to go.
11-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah... the only card reader i had at home would not work with Mac. And the only PC at home was my wifes laptop with software firewall that made it a nightmare to get the images off there and onto the Mac(s).

Aha... the printer I'll keep it in mind for next time.

It was just a bad day yesterday.... scratched the car (that i am trying to sell), ate something bad and was sick.......... and the camera broke.

Thank God today is another day!

mike
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not to mention much faster and more convenient than using a USB connection to the camera.
for me it's more convenient to plug the USB cable in (that's already plugged into the 'puter) than take the card out and plug into the computer (mine is behind a door to add to the effort) then take card out of computer and put back in camera. If you have a large card that's full then the card reader might be fast enough to warrant it.

Nige.
11-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that plugging in the USB is convenient. I leave the Cable connected to a USB hub that is permanently connected... just pop the door open and plug in.

mike
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a sandisk card reader that has a fairly long cable, I leave it plugged in all of the time, so it is even more convenient that plugging in the camera. The reader sits on my desk to the side of my Momo steering wheel, hehe