Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, the hood on my Samyang 135 f/2 also rattled. But applying some electrical tape has helped to calm it.
Don't worry, the result isn't as ugly as it might sound.

The bottom edge of the interior of the bayonet hood has three raised strips which slide into ...

Attachment 513570

... three channels around the upper rim of the lens. The yellow arrows mark the area where I stuck the electrical tape on the "floor" of each of the lens channels.

Attachment 513569

The arrow to arrow "length" of the tape is actually just the 19mm width of a normal strip of electrical tape. I cut the tape to about 1.5mm in length so it would sit on the floor of the channels without reaching up onto the "walls". A tweezer helped with placing the tape strips.

Be sure to smooth the tape and get it as flush to the floor as possible.

Just those three small strips of tape provide enough friction to keep my hood from rattling. I started experimenting with tape only yesterday, so I don't know about long term durability. So far I've mounted and dismounted the hood about a dozen times and I don't see any wear our gouging on the tape.

I didn't even try applying tape to the channel walls, so I'm not sure how that would work.

And there was one potential problem: I placed one tape strip so it butted up against the channel bump stop (left of the left arrow). And the first time I mounted / dismounted the hood, that strip wrinkled and came off. Maybe I just didn't smooth it down enough? I don't know for sure. But for the other strips, I left some space between them and the bump stop.
Chaulk-up one more use for electrical tape! 😀

11-05-2020, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

A* 85/1.4.
Even though I purchased the D FA* 85/1.4, the A series lens is one I hope to never part with.
11-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, the hood on my Samyang 135 f/2 also rattled. But applying some electrical tape has helped to calm it.
Don't worry, the result isn't as ugly as it might sound.

The bottom edge of the interior of the bayonet hood has three raised strips which slide into ...

Attachment 513570

... three channels around the upper rim of the lens. The yellow arrows mark the area where I stuck the electrical tape on the "floor" of each of the lens channels.

Attachment 513569

The arrow to arrow "length" of the tape is actually just the 19mm width of a normal strip of electrical tape. I cut the tape to about 1.5mm in length so it would sit on the floor of the channels without reaching up onto the "walls". A tweezer helped with placing the tape strips.

Be sure to smooth the tape and get it as flush to the floor as possible.

Just those three small strips of tape provide enough friction to keep my hood from rattling. I started experimenting with tape only yesterday, so I don't know about long term durability. So far I've mounted and dismounted the hood about a dozen times and I don't see any wear our gouging on the tape.

I didn't even try applying tape to the channel walls, so I'm not sure how that would work.

And there was one potential problem: I placed one tape strip so it butted up against the channel bump stop (left of the left arrow). And the first time I mounted / dismounted the hood, that strip wrinkled and came off. Maybe I just didn't smooth it down enough? I don't know for sure. But for the other strips, I left some space between them and the bump stop.
Thank you .a.t for taking the time to share all of that DIY advice with photos. I tried a piece of tape but in only one of the three channels and without the precision you shared here. I'll give your version a try! Thank you.

---------- Post added 11-05-20 at 07:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Why I like it...

Pentax K-3, Dine 105/2.8 Macro

Steve
Those are amazing shots Steve, thanks for sharing them.
11-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Everyone praising the Pentax 50mm f1.7 is making me kick myself for not buying the one I saw on sale about an hour drive from home!
You can find them basically everywhere. And for cheap.

I have the SMC_K 50mm f/1.2 and have had a lot of 50s including two copies of the M 50 1.4, the M 50 f2 and several copies of the 50 1.7 design. I can tell you that the 50 1.7 design from Pentax is the closest to the 50 1.2 rendering - at half the size and less than half the weight... the only really noticeable difference (other than stopping to f1.2) is the bokeh. Colors and rendering are very comparable.

Just get an M 50 1.7 and have some fun. The lack of field curvature makes it a great option for reverse rings and extension tubes, as well, where it performs much better than you would think.

11-06-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best or favourite? My best would be either the DFA WR 100mm f2.8 Macro or the HD DA 35mm f2.8. But my favourite would be my K 50mm f4 Macro of K 28mm f3.5. But then again on film it would be the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm.
11-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Best or favourite? My best would be either the DFA WR 100mm f2.8 Macro or the HD DA 35mm f2.8. But my favourite would be my K 50mm f4 Macro of K 28mm f3.5. But then again on film it would be the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm.
The DFA 100 isn't that fantastic as far as manual focus feel. But it is a lens I use in that mode more often than most. And it is a sharp which is nice.
11-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does anyone frequently use manual focus even with an AF lens?

11-13-2020, 01:31 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do very often and not just for macro work. I guess it is a habit I have required since forever. I just enjoy the process. However, I only do it with lenses with a nice focus ring and instant MF override. So for an example my HD DA 35mm is usually manually focused but my F 28mm I stick with AF. Is there any practical advantage of MF? Sometimes, if one is trying to ascertain the best part of a scene to focus on and for close up work, but really I do it because I enjoy it.
11-13-2020, 04:01 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. When the camera is on a tripod I usually use LV zoomed 100% and manually focus.
11-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes. When the camera is on a tripod I usually use LV zoomed 100% and manually focus.
I find that method is essential for Astrophotos focusing on a bright star especially with a lens that focuses beyond infinity.
11-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Very often. I prefer it for most shots.
11-13-2020, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

Some of my previous favorite manual focus lenses (e.g., K 28/3.5, A 50/2.8) have been replaced by better AF primes (FA 31 and FA 50/2.8). But one MF lens that has yet to be replaced and therefore gets the most use is the M 20/4. I didn't take to it when I first started using it with the K-1, but now that I have figured out how to play to its strengths and avoid its weaknesses, I've been surprised at how well it can perform if used in the right way. And I'm always delighted at how small it is for an FF ultra-wide lens. Easily fits in a pocket, and punches well above it's size:

11-13-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to nominate the DA* 55mm f1.4 as best manual focus lens, tongue in cheek. Mine is like an old dog. It starts at "What? I'm sleeping here." Eventually it wakes up, never really as fast as the rest of the pack. But it has quick shift and a good-sized focus ring, so manual focus is easy. The only missing piece is the nice feel of a true MF lens.
11-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes...

Steve
11-13-2020, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #45
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

plenty to choose from, nearly impossible for me to narrow it down to just one.....

SMC A 20mm f2.8
Zeiss Distagon 25mm f2.8 ZK T*
Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2
SMC A 50mm f1.4
Porst Color Reflex MC Auto 55mm f1.2
Cosina 55mm f1.2
Voigtlander Color Ultron AR 55mm f1.4
Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4
Mamiya Sekor 58mm f1.7
Zeiss Planar 85mm f1.4 ZK T*
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 52B