Original Poster
Today the light was poor but I still tried @Richard0170 s profile

I will try again when the sun is out but it looks good

05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Today's sooc filmic look is monochrome 😁 once again this is another user mode set up with decent settings (Av, f7. 1, iso200, raw+jpeg, +1 clarity) just like the classic chrome and the Kodachrome. So, that means, if I know I won't have time to process or I just fancy dabbling I have three jpeg film simulations on my mode dial. This is a big deal for me as it makes the fuji slightly more redundant
KP & 35mm limited

Cross Post from sic
05-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've just been thinking I need to figure out a decent B&W recipe, I haven't quite felt like shooting B&W with it yet.
05-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I've just been thinking I need to figure out a decent B&W recipe, I haven't quite felt like shooting B&W with it yet.
Yeah, mine isn't contrasty enough. The system of putting them on a KP user mode works a treat though

05-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weirdly, my B&W recipe looks pretty good when shooting inside, but outside? No. Still struggling to get the requisite level of contrast.
6 Days Ago   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Weirdly, my B&W recipe looks pretty good when shooting inside, but outside? No. Still struggling to get the requisite level of contrast.
I had decent light so I ran with your colour recipe again. I just love it. I will post some later
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

I've been happy with mine... I basically use the Magenta filter a lot as it seems to increase the contrast of the lower midtones and keep some of the higher midtones.

Here's one I just took outside... DA 35 Limited on K-3.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Yeah, mine isn't contrasty enough. The system of putting them on a KP user mode works a treat though
You might want to experiment with the Yellow filter, that is what it is supposed to do... enhance contrast outside. I should probably try 6400 as 3200 is still pretty clean!

But I'll agree that it's hard to get... especially the skies.

So I am thinking of buying a dark yellow filter and experimenting with that when shooting B&W outdoors. I suspect my SOOC B&W photos will see a big jump in quality. People say color filters can be easily emulated in post, but while I don't doubt they can be emulated I think it takes a bit of work and sometimes things like skies don't really turn out the way they would with an actual filter, I think it would be far easier to do it in camera. Also, the yellow filter supposedly really cuts through haze, something you have to manually do in PP as well, and sometimes you won't be able to do as good a job as the glass does.

Indoors it's much easier... also SOOC:

On these, I shot at ISO 3200 on purpose to get some noise that I find emulates grain pretty well on my K-3.

One more at ISO 3200 with the K-3:

6 Days Ago   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm so spoiled by the B&W modes on the GRIII...

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I've been happy with mine... I basically use the Magenta filter a lot as it seems to increase the contrast of the lower midtones and keep some of the higher midtones.

Here's one I just took outside... DA 35 Limited on K-3.

You might want to experiment with the Yellow filter, that is what it is supposed to do... enhance contrast outside. I should probably try 6400 as 3200 is still pretty clean!

But I'll agree that it's hard to get... especially the skies.

So I am thinking of buying a dark yellow filter and experimenting with that when shooting B&W outdoors. I suspect my SOOC B&W photos will see a big jump in quality. People say color filters can be easily emulated in post, but while I don't doubt they can be emulated I think it takes a bit of work and sometimes things like skies don't really turn out the way they would with an actual filter, I think it would be far easier to do it in camera. Also, the yellow filter supposedly really cuts through haze, something you have to manually do in PP as well, and sometimes you won't be able to do as good a job as the glass does.

Indoors it's much easier... also SOOC:

On these, I shot at ISO 3200 on purpose to get some noise that I find emulates grain pretty well on my K-3.

One more at ISO 3200 with the K-3:
These look great. I already had the
yellow filter
Toning 0
High/low key adjust +4 (up 1)
Contrast +4 (up 1)
Highlight adjustment +1 (up 1)
Shadow adjustment - 1 (down 1)
Fine sharpness (was ordinary)
Let's see how that looks

---------- Post added 05-05-21 at 11:51 AM ----------

OK, today's sooc images are with @Richard0170 s colour profile. The light was better today. This is a lovely balanced profile

6 Days Ago   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
These look great. I already had the
yellow filter
Toning 0
High/low key adjust +4 (up 1)
Contrast +4 (up 1)
Highlight adjustment +1 (up 1)
Shadow adjustment - 1 (down 1)
Fine sharpness (was ordinary)
Let's see how that looks

---------- Post added 05-05-21 at 11:51 AM ----------

OK, today's sooc images are with @Richard0170 s colour profile. The light was better today. This is a lovely balanced profile

Those look great.

In regards to B&W - With the K-3 I find that using no filter or the Magenta filter, I can max out the contrast and it still retains a decent amount of midtones (while the Magenta does something nice to the low midtones and adds contrast). I also go all the way up with the highlight adjustment, and all the way down with the shadow adjustment.
Always pick Extra Sharpness if that is available, it helps with the "grain" (noise) quality.
I used to use Highlight Adjustment +1 with the K-50 but with the K-3 I keep it at 0. No Toning adjustment.
5 Days Ago   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Those look great.

In regards to B&W - With the K-3 I find that using no filter or the Magenta filter, I can max out the contrast and it still retains a decent amount of midtones (while the Magenta does something nice to the low midtones and adds contrast). I also go all the way up with the highlight adjustment, and all the way down with the shadow adjustment.
Always pick Extra Sharpness if that is available, it helps with the "grain" (noise) quality.
I used to use Highlight Adjustment +1 with the K-50 but with the K-3 I keep it at 0. No Toning adjustment.
Brilliant. Thanks. I have been out this morning with the above settings. I will post some later, then tomorrow I will give the magenta mono a run
5 Days Ago   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm so spoiled by the B&W modes on the GRIII...
Oddly I never had a problem getting good SOOC B&W from my Q, Q10 or Samsung EX1.