Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 05:45 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Creating a jpeg style

I shoot raw. But I also have a Fuji with all its lovely jpegs, so, after reading a thread on here I fiddled with the bleach bypass and went jpeg shooting. The question is, does anyone have any cool recipes for creating their own jpeg style or film simulation because I plan on using jpeg a lot more after this morning!
The lens BTW is an Auto Yashinon 5.5cm f1.8 on my KP and these are unprocessed, sooc jpegs
Recipe
Bleach bypass
Saturation +1
Toning Cyan
High/low -1
Contrast +3
Highlight -1
Shadow +1
Sharpness +2

11-04-2020, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Those are beautiful pictures!

I often shoot JPEG, but I'm wary of tuning things too much in-camera. When I want to apply styles, I'd rather apply them after the fact in Lightroom, otherwise it might become difficult to salvage an image.

You can apply a default correction when importing images in Lightroom, that might be a better avenue.
11-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

I often shoot JPEG, but I'm wary of tuning things too much in-camera. When I want to apply styles, I'd rather apply them after the fact in Lightroom, otherwise it might become difficult to salvage an image.

You can apply a default correction when importing images in Lightroom, that might be a better avenue.

I won’t shoot jpeg anymore. As I post process everything, I shoot in raw, and auto bracket. I do love playing in NIK, I can do all effects there, and as I use Affinity, all non destructive.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-04-2020, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find that the Muted setting, when "un-muted", works very well, especially with my K-50. With the K-S1 it's ok but with the K-50 it's amazing how I can get to a more "modern film" kind of look without really emulating a specific film, just the more film-like look. Greens, especially, look nothing like the yellow-green digital look that you usually get from CMOS cameras.

What I use:
Setting: Muted
Saturation: +2
Toning: Cyan
High/Low: 0 or +1 if it's for portraits
Contrast: +4
FIne Sharpening at +1 but usually not necessary.

11-04-2020, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I really enjoy all aspects of photography, including post-production.
For the longest of times, I have shot exclusively in RAW knowing I will be editing photos anyway.
However, relatively recently, I have begun shooting in RAW + JPG and comparing my edits with the camera's edits.
Most times, I choose my own edits, but it's actually really impressive what JPGs can do these days and those images inspire me to push my post-production techniques and learn more so that I can create the best image possible
11-04-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I find that the Muted setting, when "un-muted", works very well, especially with my K-50. With the K-S1 it's ok but with the K-50 it's amazing how I can get to a more "modern film" kind of look without really emulating a specific film, just the more film-like look. Greens, especially, look nothing like the yellow-green digital look that you usually get from CMOS cameras.

What I use:
Setting: Muted
Saturation: +2
Toning: Cyan
High/Low: 0 or +1 if it's for portraits
Contrast: +4
FIne Sharpening at +1 but usually not necessary.
Dialed in, I will be testing it tomorrow
11-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Dialed in, I will be testing it tomorrow
Seeing how the images of the K-50 and K-S1 come out a bit different in terms of color casts, I'm curious as to what the KP will do! Please post your results...

11-04-2020, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seeing how the images of the K-50 and K-S1 come out a bit different in terms of color casts, I'm curious as to what the KP will do! Please post your results...
Will do
11-04-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious as to what the KP will do! Please post your results...
Yeah, definitely. I've been impressed with the KP's jpegs in general, but the idea of a 'cookbook' with recipes for individual styles is exciting. Opens up a broad range of creative possibilities!
11-04-2020, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are really nice, I'm going to try them out! The colors feel a bit like Superia. I do wish the KP had the same level of customization that the GR III does. 95% of my images taken with it I just shoot RAW and process a JPEG to my liking and never feel the need to use desktop software.
11-04-2020, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

I think creating a profile in camera can change a shooting style to "how do I take a good picture with this profile" rather than "how do I make this photo look good". Sometimes it's just fun to shake things up.
11-05-2020, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oooh, you are going to like these uploading now. I also reset my mono. It was very washed out before
11-05-2020, 03:53 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I shoot raw. But I also have a Fuji with all its lovely jpegs, so, after reading a thread on here I fiddled with the bleach bypass and went jpeg shooting. The question is, does anyone have any cool recipes for creating their own jpeg style or film simulation because I plan on using jpeg a lot more after this morning!
The lens BTW is an Auto Yashinon 5.5cm f1.8 on my KP and these are unprocessed, sooc jpegs
Recipe
Bleach bypass
Saturation +1
Toning Cyan
High/low -1
Contrast +3
Highlight -1
Shadow +1
Sharpness +2

Very nicely taken shots.
11-05-2020, 04:01 AM - 5 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, first, the ChristianRock Faded recipe. This is reminding me of Fuji classic chrome. It would be interesting to compare. Iso 250, Multi awb. All images are sooc. The light is flat grey and poor

So, then I started thinking about the mono. The jpeg mono is a very flat and washed out affair and I do love my contrast, so, I did a bit of tweaking

BW
Yellow filter
Toning -0
High/low key +3
Contrast +3
Sharpness +1

11-05-2020, 05:59 AM - 5 Likes   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot jpg's from the camera and do minor post-processing in Luminar...

all of my Pentax bodies are set up roughly the same way, so I get similar results from a K-5, K-S1, or a K-3...

my recipe:

Natural

Saturation +1
Hue 0
High/Low Key 0
Contrast +1
Sharpness +1

from here, all my Pentax jpg's are processed, whether mono or full color, through my custom presets in Luminar....