Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for info on K7 over K20D

Hello All,
I just scored a Pentax k-7 (used) from an online equipment company (reputable...) Reportedly, it only has a shutter count of 3500+ (body only, but with original packaging...)

I've been shooting Pentax since the 1970's and my current setup is my K-1 and a brand new (two years ago) K-20-D...
All my glass is either SMC manual or late model Pentax "Auto" full frames, a couple of Pentax APS-C lenses, along with a couple of Sigma's and Tamron's thrown in to fill gaps.

So, my question is this... Is there anything in particular, that I need to be mindful of, with the K7, that may be different than my K-20 or K-1...? (Good Bad or Indifferent?)

BTW: So as, not to confuse anyone, I was cruising an on-line used camera seller for a replacement for my old K20D (that came up with a sensor problem...) and this listing popped up for "New - Old Stock", so I jumped at it...
(Especially for the $250 price tag...)
I took delivery, opened the box, put my 18-55 lens on it and took a few pics around the house... Downloaded them and sure enough the pictures came out as 101-K20-001 through 005... (I set up my file system to read "K20" to separate them from my K1 shots in my photo file storage).

I did notice that I can shoot video with the K-7 and not the K20D... but is there many other differences... like maintenance or trouble issues perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any advice .

Cheers,
Bob

11-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to confirm your K-7's shutter count, you can upload a JPEG here: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
11-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is the side by side comparison tool set up to compare the two

Pentax K-7 vs. Pentax K200D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

as well as the owners' reviews

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K-7 was released in 2009 as the successor to the K20D. It features a sturdy yet compact weather-sealed body, 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor, 5.2 frame-per-second shutter, and a 3-inch LCD screen with a resolution of 921,000 dots, movie mode with input for an optional external microphone. K-7 reviews, details, and specifications can be found below.

Camera Manuals:

Fine Sharpness 2
Operating Manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf

Read more at: Pentax K-7 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:

Description:
The Pentax K20D was the successor to the K10D. It featured the same body with a higher resolution and new features, including Live View.

A limited "Titanium" edition of the camera was produced in 2009.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k20d.pdf
Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 3, Pentax Photo Laboratory 3)
Software Manual (Pentax Remote Assistant 3)

Read more at: Pentax K20D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-04-2020 at 10:33 AM.
11-04-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I you wanted IQ similar to your K-1, a K-5 would have been better.

11-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K20D and the K-7 are the two only Pentax cameras that have a Samsung sensor, so the image quality is very close between the two. The K-7 is the updated version of the K20D sensor, with a readout for video having been added.
The bodies are quite different... the K-7 has the magnesium alloy body so it is a bit of a step up over the K20D's body, though the K20D is no slouch in terms of ergonomics and build.
Neither one is going to come close to the dynamic range and high ISO performance of the K-1, there's going to be a huge, huge difference. But the K-7 will be a little bit closer in feel.
11-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #6

Take a gander at this thread and associated document:
The PENTAX K-7 Designers
11-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobphoenix Quote
So, my question is this... Is there anything in particular, that I need to be mindful of, with the K7, that may be different than my K-20 or K-1...? (Good Bad or Indifferent?)
You should find stopdown metering with non-A lenses to be quite a bit more predictable than with the K20D.

Steve
11-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

One thing the K20D has that disappeared thereafter, is the handy dedicated on-body bracket button.

11-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobphoenix Quote
I did notice that I can shoot video with the K-7 and not the K20D... but is there many other differences... like maintenance or trouble issues perhaps?
Video meant a slight difference in sensor and electronics. A lot of users suggested the K-7 was a bit worse in noise because of that, but it wasn't a huge difference. I don't remember any reliability complaints with the K-7. It was odd that some people had the lens lock button fall off the K-5, basically the same body. Build quality was pretty good.

The K-7 is more compact, better rear screen, and with more customizable buttons
11-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What you probably notice is that K-7 feels like a much more refined design and UI than K20D.
IMO K10D/K20D feels like old cameras today, but K-7 feels like it could have been released yesterday.

K-3 III is the first APS-C flagship that make a major leap in camera design and UI since K-7.
(K-5 series was basially the same design a K-7 but with much lmproved IQ, and K-3/K-3 II versions a minor update on design and major update on performance and IQ).