Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is your DREAM CAMERA?

Hello everyone!! While I was running the other day I was thinking about what would make a “Dream Camera” and thought it would be fun to throw the question out to the users here at the Forum. For me, when I first saw the KP I knew it was the camera for me! I love its aesthetics and ergonomics, and the IQ and customizability is really great! HOWEVER, if I could change anything to make it the PERFECT camera I would add a bigger battery (I know about the battery grip, but I hike and backpack, so light, compact, and easily stowed are paramount for me), and a better pop-up flash (yes, I know that is a rookie tool, but see above about the battery grip!). So, I have pretty simple dreams!! But hey, they’re my dreams, and I’m happy!! What about everyone else? If you could have or design the PERFECT camera, what would it be? What features would it have? Size, weight, color, dials, buttons ETC… Anything goes, after all this is YOUR dream, and YOUR special camera! You could even incorporate features from other brands, or from the film era, or just tweak an existing camera to make it the way you want it like I did. The sky is the limit! So, have fun and go all out! What is your DREAM CAMERA??

11-05-2020, 10:46 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-3iii . . .
11-05-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd have to say this one, although it's not available with a neck strap or 1/4-20 tripod socket:
Camera | Rubin Observatory
11-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess the K1 MKII, but the K3 II I already have is a close runner up. I'm not left wanting for much.

11-05-2020, 11:31 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

A K-1with:

1) Full frame sensor with IBIS, pixel shift, & astrotracer
2) Sensor tilting mechanism
3) Hybrid viewfinder: OVF for most framing and composition tasks but integrated flip-in EVF for reviewing shots without taking the camera from my eye
4) 4 dedicated e-dials (2 for the index finger, 2 for the thumb): Shutter, Aperture, ISO, and Exposure Compensation with auto/program behavior if you press-down on the dial
5) Shutter programming system for combining bracketing/HDR, pixel shift, intervals, etc.
6) Built-in focus stacking
11-05-2020, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You had to ask..
  • 24Mpx, 24x36mm
  • Non-crippled K-mount (KAF2 with power contacts)
  • Manual focus SLR with viewfinder specs similar to those of Pentax MX film camera (95%, 0.97x)
  • Modal controls with e-dial option for aperture control with supporting lenses
  • Auto, M, X, B modes
  • Form factor similar to traditional film SLRs, but with built-in grip to house battery, card slots, and connection ports
  • Weight: under 600gm with battery and cards
  • Metal construction
  • No video, no SR, no built-in flash, no P-TTL

I envision such as the ultimate lightweight, compact field dSLR.

Steve
11-05-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K1-II in a body size of the good old MX

11-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #8

KP form and size
K-1 battery
35mm size sensor
11-05-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

yea, I need me a daguerreotype that shoots 50MP, 30 fps, eye-af, 4K/60, and a flippy screen.
nothing else will do. okthxbye.
11-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3III with a 645 sized sensor
11-05-2020, 12:43 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

A large pinhole camera given to me filled with $100 bills.

Last edited by Fogel70; 11-05-2020 at 01:04 PM.
11-05-2020, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A K-1with:

3) Hybrid viewfinder: OVF for most framing and composition tasks but integrated flip-in EVF for reviewing shots without taking the camera from my eye
4) 4 dedicated e-dials (2 for the index finger, 2 for the thumb): Shutter, Aperture, ISO, and Exposure Compensation with auto/program behavior if you press-down on the dial
5) Shutter programming system for combining bracketing/HDR, pixel shift, intervals, etc.
Good specifications.
To add: Optimised for Raw usage ie the potential to disable buttons like the cursed custom image button on the outside of the main controller. And the ability to consign the jpg functions to menu access only.
And in the bracketing function having one for iso to help facilitate iso invariance based underexposing. And similarly a process to display an image under-exposed this way at full brightness on the screen.
11-05-2020, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A K-1with:

Add in Steve's request for an uncrippled K mount (wide open metering on K/M lenses!) and a 1x OVF and it's game, set, match, and several seasons won at the same time.
11-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Hello everyone!! While I was running the other day I was thinking about what would make a “Dream Camera” and thought it would be fun to throw the question out to the users here at the Forum. For me, when I first saw the KP I knew it was the camera for me! I love its aesthetics and ergonomics, and the IQ and customizability is really great! HOWEVER, if I could change anything to make it the PERFECT camera I would add a bigger battery (I know about the battery grip, but I hike and backpack, so light, compact, and easily stowed are paramount for me), and a better pop-up flash (yes, I know that is a rookie tool, but see above about the battery grip!). So, I have pretty simple dreams!! But hey, they’re my dreams, and I’m happy!! What about everyone else? If you could have or design the PERFECT camera, what would it be? What features would it have? Size, weight, color, dials, buttons ETC… Anything goes, after all this is YOUR dream, and YOUR special camera! You could even incorporate features from other brands, or from the film era, or just tweak an existing camera to make it the way you want it like I did. The sky is the limit! So, have fun and go all out! What is your DREAM CAMERA??
I am quite happy with the KP as it is. I hardly ever need more power, but I do carry several batteries with me in my camera bag. I seldom need flash, but I do carry with me the small flash I have had ever since the days when my "Super Program" was my primary camera.

I would be most attracted by a replacement for my Q-7 which had an EVF and an 'accelerator', but I now have zero expectation they will manufacture such a camera.
11-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I ended up pretty much getting my dream camera with the K-1.
My only desire of significance is:
1. Elimination of shutter shock. I use small lenses a lot (makes for a compact fun kit I can walk / hike with) but when using light lenses, shutter shock tends to rare its ugly head at shutter speeds of 1/60 - 1/250. Usually I either avoid those shutter speeds or use LV with ES. When shutter shock happens the images are normally still fine to use (assuming you don't do huge prints) with some additional PP sharpening. However as I use the OVF a lot it is an annoying issue.

Otherwise nice to have tweaks like:
1. HIgher continuous frame rate
2. Brighter OVF overlay (indicators) would be nice
3. I wish timed B mode settings where accessible off M mode too (even if metering was unavailable for them) as I often end up going from M -> B and back as shooting conditions change
4. Would love to have a clever 2 shot mask mode with astrotracer that exposed for earthbound objects in one shot and for start in the other and then masked them together! Yes you can do it with the right software and some patience (which I seem to lack) but it would be a very nice feature to have.