Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

advise for next step

Hi all, i'm new here and wanted to get some advise.

I guess this is based more on toys on a short list for what a natural progression would be and what the best use of my money is.

I've bought a k20d and been playing aorund with it for 4 months or so. I used to do photography with non-digital slrs so i have a fair idea about aperture settings, iso, shutter speed, and all the other new toys that you get with digitcal camera ie white balance, ev etc (i used to do this sort of thing in a darkroom). i'm no pro, but i can get ok results at the moment.

I'm tossing up between a few options for new bits for my camera.

so far i have the pentax k20d, with a sigma DC 18-200 lens. I got this in favor of a 18-55 lens. i also have a manfrotto 190xdb tripod with a 804rc2 head.

I'm looking at either a flash (metz 58/pentax af540/sigma 530 super), new lenses (fisheye: pentax 10-17/sigma 10-20, or a new zoom lens).

Currently, I use the camera for travel/holiday, events, general sightseeing, portraits for friends.

I guess what i want to know is where i should go? i'm planning on doing more travelling and wondering where people went from their base lenses and other bits in terms of importance?

money isn't really an issue (i can't afford a bigma at this point, but maybe in the next few months). i prefer to use hand hold operation of the camera if at all possible.

also, in terms of the flashes, which is the best for the pentax k20d?

12-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #2

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I got my k20d with a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 macro lens. Its got a good wide angle (25.5 equiv)
that pretty good for landscapes and the small zoom (105 equiv) is just nice, its a good little
lens for portraits to. It can also focus down to 20cm for the entire zoom range.
Closer with a closeup filter for macro. Its not big and heavy and produces some nice shots
and doesn't cost a fortune. Its worth a look.
12-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesbluntknife Quote
I'm tossing up between a few options for new bits for my camera.

so far i have the pentax k20d, with a sigma DC 18-200 lens. I got this in favor of a 18-55 lens. i also have a manfrotto 190xdb tripod with a 804rc2 head.
I'm looking at either a flash (metz 58/pentax af540/sigma 530 super), new lenses (fisheye: pentax 10-17/sigma 10-20, or a new zoom lens).
As far as lenses, I'd recommend the FA 50mm F1.4 next. It will allow you to shoot in low light, it has superb image quality and it's a classic portrait length. Your photos will look a lot nicer with this lens than with the Sigma big-zoom.

I have the Sigma 530 Super, it does everything I want and the price was great. Have a look at this page for comparisons. Pentax P-TTL Hot Shoe Flash Comparison - a knol by Matthew Miller
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I've recently fallen in love with the Tamron 28-75 XR DI f/2.8

Well two weeks into any new relationship is an exciting time, but it is a beautiful piece of kit. I'd thoroughly recommend getting one.

Oh, a 50mm is equally as much fun, but it's not had much use recently

12-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am afraid everyone who posts will try to impose their ideas on you, so at the end of this I will link to a posting of how to build a lens system from scratch.

Generally, my approach is to extend range and capablities before upgrading a specific lens.

As a result, given the ultra zoom you have, I woudl suggest an ultra wide,

Whether it is a 10-20 sigma, or 10-17 pentax is up to you and your tastes, I thing personally the fisheye is a little limited in use compared to the 10-20.

I have a 10-20 and it takes about 20% of all my photos, with 60% of the photos taken on it at 10mm. WHen I travel, it takes 50-70% of all shots.

now for building a kit from scratch,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/407974-post10.html