Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the K5 IIs is just too old to consider buying (which is a different argument than already having one and deciding if you should upgrade it). The K3 II is getting up there, but has features the KP doesn't including a higher rated shutter lifespan. The KP may have better image quality, but obviously more expensive.

So the first question to me is what are the price differences, and is the KP going to deliver on that higher quality in a meaningful way to you. It's easy to compare specs on paper, but what really matters is real world results. I've seen fantastic images from most anything. One of my favorite shots I took was on an 8MP Olympus E-500. Aside from the resolution, I doubt there's anything even the KP could offer to make a noticeable improvement on that specific photo. Since I only view it on a display, even the resolution isn't a problem.

Another way to put it is let's say it's a $300 difference between the K3 II and KP. Are you going to see a $300 improvement in the photos? And even if the answer is yes, how is it better? Dynamic range is a big one, and my K3 II has performed well with anything I've thrown at it so far. Take a look at my gallery (it's not very big), and pay special attention to my steel wool and night time jet car photos. For the price differences I saw, I'm more than happy with this over the KP.

Scott Monroe | Flickr

Noise is a big concern too, but a dedicated noise reduction program can work wonders. I shot a lot at ISO 1600 and 3200 at the races. At 1600, things were acceptable. At 3200, it became a noisy mess. I ran some of them through Topaz DeNoiseAI and it was like, "what noise?" There overall image quality didn't suffer too much either. So why spend extra on the KP when I get great results in post for much less?

The caveat here, though, is your skill and desires. I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't mind making sacrifices to save a few bucks. If I were getting paid for my work, then that changes things. Suddenly having that better IQ right from the camera and quicker turnaround times may be needed to keep clients happy. Then again, that second card slot on the K3 II could be the difference between taking a bit longer to deliver the photos vs not delivering any at all due to memory card corruption.

The second big thing I considered was ergonomics. Subjective, but the KP just looked uncomfortable to hold. The K3 II fits like a glove and I love not having to reach back to press the shutter.

So for me, it is the K3 II hands down, or the original K3 if you need a built in flash and don't mind losing Astrotracer out of the box.

11-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP has the more advance sensor tech that would improve the DR and noise issues you stated. If the ergonomics don't seem right, you could also look at the K70. It has the same styling and ergonomics as the K3, K5 family, and uses the same senor as the KP. I use it and have no problems with DR or noise at ISO up to 3200 - 6400, provided there's enough light on the subject to actually capture the details.
11-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Subbing in to follow the suggestions. Pity I'm in Western NC...
11-12-2020, 01:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Wow- two forum members willing and able to meet with you to demonstrate the KP! And the K-5 IIs as well! That is extraordinary for sure. Just one caveat which they will no doubt also make clear, a first impression might be based on one's own habit formed from what one is used to. So something quite new might seem a bit foreign at first, but the KP is one neat design of a pro-quality build and features in a more compact form. Becoming adjusted to a new design is a matter of acclamation and learning some new controls, which are quicker and easier and are far more advanced than those you've been accustomed to.

---------- Post added 11-12-20 at 02:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
the K70. It has the same styling and ergonomics as the K3, K5 family, and uses the same senor as the KP.
Well, similar sensor, but it is not the same one. The KP's is a newer one and uses the prime IV processing engine the same as the FF K-1 II. The K-70's styling is nearly identical to that of the K-S2, which I have, but it is greatly different than my K-5 IIs.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-12-2020 at 02:05 AM.
11-12-2020, 03:19 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Wow- two forum members willing and able to meet with you to demonstrate the KP! And the K-5 IIs as well! That is extraordinary for sure. . . .
I always tell newcomers to the forums that they will find friendly members here

this is more proof of that statement

way to go folks
11-12-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #21

I have the K-5 and the K-1. The K-5 was very good at bringing out detail in the shadows, but it is very noisy. The first night shot with my K-1 was amazing... not only less noise but much better color in low-light shots. So I would definitely go for one of the cameras with the newer sensor—not the K-5 or K-3 series.
11-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mvanorder Quote
Noting that due to all my current Pentax lenses are manual . . .
Since those are all full frame lenses, you might consider a full frame DSLR like the K-1 mark II for better noise reduction over APSC.

11-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Since those are all full frame lenses, you might consider a full frame DSLR like the K-1 mark II for better noise reduction over APSC.
While this is true, the KP does push closely behind the K-1 II for low noise, and image quality to a remarkable degree, then there are the matters of cost, size and weight. The old MF glass would have to be very special indeed for me to go to all that trouble to accommodate such lenses that will have substantial limitations as to functionality and features of these modern DSLR cameras. Also, any further expansion into newer lenses for additional range and capability will be more costly, larger, and heavier, even more so in the tele range. The cost of the KP these days is quite reasonable for this class of camera.

I speak sympathetically to your statement from my long-time consideration of getting a FF body for the purpose of again using some FF lenses I acquired from my film-shooting years, in their original angle of view as they were designed for. But these are highly-regarded AF lenses, some still in production, and will be fully compatible with the camera's features, and some have no real counterpart in the same angle of view for APS-C.
11-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Pity I'm in Western NC...
And NC is really wide!
11-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #25

Original Poster
Did not expect so many replies to read through. Thanks for all the feedback. Depending on when I can get out I might be interested in taking up the offer to try the K-P/K-5 IIs.

Yes I'd considered the fact a K-P is considerably more in price, but hoping newer tech and additional features would make up for that.

IDK if all this input's made it easier or harder. Seems to me:
  • KP: most suggested, not for ergonomics
  • K-3 ii: Has extra features(GPS, battery, dual card slot), and not as pricey
  • k-5 iis: Cheapest, oldest, but will do the job well.
As for the K-1, I've seen it's far better and I would love to shoot with full frame lenses as such, and if I had that much to spend I would go for it. Right now the cheapest one on ebay is $1200, and that's not even the mark II which starts around $1700 used.
11-12-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depending on when I can get out I might be interested in taking up the offer to try the K-P/K-5 IIs.
PM me if you are.

KP: most suggested, not for ergonomics
The ergonomics are different, but not 'un-ergonomic' IMO. I do prefer the shutter button location on the K-5IIs, but my hand only needed 5 minutes to get used to the KP location. I thought I would miss the top LCD display; I don't. Live view is way better on the KP IMO. Anyway, you may get the chance to decide for yourself.
11-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IDK if all this input's made it easier or harder.
Isn't that always the case? Lol. When I was considering my major upgrade, I was in much the same boat. If I were near you, I'd join the offering to let you demo a camera.

Something else to think about, especially if you aren't in a big hurry and keep a look out on the forum marketplace, is package deals. Like you, I was making an entire switch from Olympus to Pentax. That meant not only needing a new body, but also lenses and accessories. I was going back and forth between the K3 II and KP, and even some K1 offerings. Then I got lucky one day and saw someone selling a K3 II, battery grip, 7 lenses, flash, and other minor accessories. I knew I'd be happy with the camera even if IQ was lower than the KP, and that one purchase at a very fair price set me up for most anything.

Unlikely you'll be disappointed by any of your camera choices, so something like that may actually be what pushes you one way or the other.

QuoteQuote:
As for the K-1, I've seen it's far better and I would love to shoot with full frame lenses as such, and if I had that much to spend I would go for it. Right now the cheapest one on ebay is $1200, and that's not even the mark II which starts around $1700 used.
Not sure what your budget is, but I've seen them pop up here for around $1,000 now and then, even the Mk II versions. Of course that also more or less locks you into buying bigger, heavier, and more expensive lenses unless you want to hamper its abilities using the crop mode.
11-12-2020, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would try all three cameras the K5 IIs, the KP and K3. I myself am a K-5 II owner and despite all the hoopla about the other 2 cameras, I see no reason to change. The K3 is one of the most beautiful DSLR cameras ever built, the KP has an incredible sensor, however none of their specifications has motivated me to change. It's like being married, If your are happy then your happy ! The KP is not even semi-pro, so I regulate it to a "consumer camera". It is filled with all kind of features/gimmicks, that your average photographer would seldom use (IMHO).

I thought long and hard about purchasing the K3, but when they knocked off the 80 ISO and the pop-up flash, it was a deal breaker for me. Of course If I had deep pockets I would not hesitate on buying either one of these cameras, but so far I'm pretty happy with my K5 IIs despite all it's shortcomings. The K5 is still one of the most popular DSLR'S in the Pentax line-up by the way, if not one of the most popular DSLR's ever.... Now if I was a Full-time "Professional Photographer" I might think differently, but right now I am just a semi-pro nothing more.

I do have my eyes on the new "K3- III" because I don't want to fall too far behind on the newer technology, but even then, I still might wait until the prices go down.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-12-2020 at 07:36 PM.
11-14-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Consider the K-5. It has all of the features of K-5IIs minus the antireflecting screen, the dynamic focusing of near to the selected focus point in Continues focusing and better focusing in low light. In good light they are the same. But the Imaging Compare feature is invaluable, to me at least. Here is a quote of me from a similar thread:

"I have both K-5 and K-5IIs. Although the screen of the K-5IIs is good to avoid sun reflections at the field, I prefer the screen of the K-5, I find it more faithful. The antialiasing filter of the K-5 does not make an issue for me, for the on hand photography I practice I do not see differences in sharpness. But the best reason I prefer K-5 over the K-5IIs is the Imaging Compare feature. Suppose you take multiple shots hand held of a model. You can easily synchronize the images in the monitor and compare the details".