Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Trying to decide on a DSLR, K-5 IIs, K-3 II, or K-P

My current DSLR is a 6MP Nikon D40. And while it's a great camera for what it is, it's lacking in some areas and rather than upgrade it and invest in Nikon glass, I picked up some Pentax Film cameras and have been buying manual K mount lenses here and there.
I'm considering the following options:
  1. K-5 IIs
  2. K-P
  3. K-3 II

Considering I can't find anyone local that has them, or anywhere to rent them, I have no way to try them out. So I'm hoping to get some input on which might be best for me, since I spend most of my time on the D40 trying to take shots that I end up not being able to get the result I'm looking for.

Chances to get out and shoot come around my work schedule, so a lot at night.

The camera related issues I run into are:
  • Too much noise(especially chromatic) in the shadows. Seriously, I try not to shoot over a ISO 400 if I can help it, and only use 1600 when shutter speed is absolutely needed. Hi 1 (on the D40 I believe it's simulated 3200 from 1600 on the CMOS) is for emergency use only, cause holy image noise batman.
  • Not enough dynamic range. It's really hard to not blow out everything near a light and also not lose the shadows I can see clear as day, but the camera can't. I have found from renting the K-50 at the local camera store, it'd able to recover a lot from the shadows my D40 can't, but due to an aperture block issue I'm not buying that one and have decided to avoid entry level and mid-range(hence why the K-70 is also not on the list).
  • What there is of shadows and highlights tend to be really compressed, meaning that in post I try to compress the midtones and add more contrast to the highlights and shadows(bringing it back to the image I saw), but end up with images that look really bad in areas contrast was brought out(to the point of banding sometimes), and ok to good in midtone areas with lots of contrast in the raw.
Noting that due to all my current Pentax lenses are manual, one has no feedback to the camera for aperture and one is an m42, so same situation. Although since this was of no issue on the K-50, I'm sure it won't be on any flagship model.

I keep looking up videos and ending up deeper in the rabbit hole of reducing noise with bigger pixels vs newer tech. Then there's the problem of which noise(although initially better or worse) can be fixed better in post.

Any input would be appreciated.

11-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since it sounds like image quality is your main concern, I'd go for the KP, as it has the newest sensor.

That said, all of these cameras are a substantial upgrade over the D40. I would recommend that you check out our full review of the KP to see if it's also what you are looking for in terms of handling, or if the K-3 II would be a better fit instead:
Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2020, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 IIs, which I have as well as the KP, is much like the K-50 in terms of noise and dynamic range (recover info from shadows) but like a super-version of it on steroids, with a far better set of controls. Easily the best of the 3 you are considering regarding low noise, combined with superb image quality, is the KP without question. I would advise, however, to consider getting some more modern glass also to take full advantage of its capabilities.
11-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would get the KP if I were you, and had to choose from that list. I find the sensor from the K5 to be a bit noisy for my tastes.

11-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mvanorder Quote
. . .

Considering I can't find . . . anywhere to rent them, I have no way to try them out. .. .
LensRental.com from Tenn rents Pentax:

Lensrentals.com - Rent a Pentax KP

call and ask about discounts

20 % off flash 2020 if ordered by 11/13

and I think there is one more 25 % off good until the end of the year

there may be other possibilities:
QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

forums' side by side comparison tool:

K 3 II vs. K 5 IIs vs. KP

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-3+I...s&c3=Pentax+KP

be sure to check the forums' maketplace if buying " experienced " equipment

it can be sorted by country:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.
11-11-2020, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the KP and had the K5IIs, which I gave to my daughter. I love the KP but the K5IIs is great too.

From my point of view...

K5IIs pros:
Cheaper
Better Ergonomics
Great 16mp sensor with large dynamic range and smaller file size
Better battery life(larger battery)

KP pros
Much newer
Higher resolution
High iso performance better
Better auto focus
Focus peaking for manual focus in live view
The flip lcd screen is very useful
11-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP is newest of that group but I would still go with the K-3II. Image quality will be similar to the KP though from I read the KP is better in low light. But more important to me is the ergonomics and the K-3II format really works well for my hands. It also has dual card slots, a bigger battery and GPS. All of which are important to me, but might not be to you.

11-11-2020, 04:01 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mvanorder Quote
Considering I can't find anyone local that has them
I'm just an hour away from you, in Goldsboro, and have both the K-5IIs and KP. We could mask up and meet halfway between, say in Clayton or thereabouts.

A few observations:

K-5IIs
I find the noise acceptable from ISO 1600 and down. I think it's a great camera, and love mine. Here are some sample shots - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com The only reason I got a KP was for more pixels and usable ISO. I was (am) quite happy with the K-5IIs, and still use it.

KP
I find the noise acceptable from ISO 6400 and down. Sample shots - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
I shoot mostly jpegs, and the IQ and colors of the KP are really exceptional IMO.

Both models have settings for highlight and shadow correction. I've never used shadow correction. The highlight correction does seem to help keep highlights from blowing out. I don't do night photography though. I'm sure there are limits to its ability. Keep ISO as low as possible for maximum dynamic range captures. Interestingly, I just recently found out that the DR on the KP set at ISO 640 is basically the same as it is at ISO 100. Apparently, 640 is about where the KP's accelerator chip kicks in, and DR goes back up.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a side-by-side comparison of the three models you are considering. Pentax K-5 IIs vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

They are all great cameras. It just depends on what your budget is. I got both of my cameras from PF members here in the Marketplace.

[edit] I forgot about the KP's HDR capture capability. It takes multiple images at different exposure settings and combines them into one image. The scene needs to be fairly static so that you don't get motion artifacts. Then there's pixel shift resolution, and........

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 11-11-2020 at 04:18 PM.
11-11-2020, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

I wonder of the OP should consider also the K-3. The K-3 is a massive improvement over the K-5iis, and can be found cheaper than the KP and K-3ii.

An advantage of the K-3 is the on-board flash in my opinion.

My 5 cents, hoping that it may help.
11-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

go for the KP.
(With caveat that, you could live with the three different sized hand-grip)

And take up "Apet-Sure" offer to meet halfway to have a physical try-on of both.

That way, you can try, actually handholding the KP, see if the shape of it, could live with it (especially the placement of the shutter button).

For some, they just didnt like the placement of shutter button on KP, and didnt like whichever sized handgrip it be.
11-11-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

any of the K 5 " family " - K 5, K 5 II or K 5 IIs

or the K 3 or the K 3 II

or the K 70

or KP

would be an improvement

owners' reviews and in depth reviews can be found here:

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and should the OP enter the contest and get lucky, the K 70 could be free

5 post per day gets you 1 raffle ticket, 1 ticket per day

drawing at the end of the month

if cost is an issue, look at the K 5 family or the K 3 or K 3 II

the K 70 and KP are newer but not for everyone's taste
11-11-2020, 05:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
go for the KP.
(With caveat that, you could live with the three different sized hand-grip)

And take up "Apet-Sure" offer to meet halfway to have a physical try-on of both.

That way, you can try, actually handholding the KP, see if the shape of it, could live with it (especially the placement of the shutter button).

For some, they just didnt like the placement of shutter button on KP, and didnt like whichever sized handgrip it be.

Sound advice, and a chance to meet.
I’m passionate about my KPs feel, I learned years ago if it feels right, you’ll know immediately.
I just added the battery grip for vertical comfort.

All are excellent boxes, Good advice in this thread about the differences.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I wonder of the OP should consider also the K-3. The K-3 is a massive improvement over the K-5iis, and can be found cheaper than the KP and K-3ii.
It probably depends on what areas you think need improving. I don't feel that there is a consensus that the K-3 does better in low light than the K-5.
11-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

oh yes.
I suggested KP, is also because, it is likely KP will be nicely priced in upcoming weeks (run up to festive season).

But, as before, caveat.
Provided OP could live with the different sized handgrip and the position of shutter button.

On K-5iis.
I actually think K-5iis better at iso1600/3200 than K-3.
But, views may differ.
11-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Myself, I will always go with the newest technology that I can afford, in this case that would be the KP. Of those three cameras you mention, I have used only the KP, and it's a very good camera. Kevin (Apet-Sure) has offered to meet you. If that doesn't work out and you happen to be going to the Wilmington area (I'm in Hampstead), I could let you handle the KP also.