Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Would it be wise investment?
How badly do you want a GRIII?

And second question: does KP and K3II have the same sensor?
Ricoh says new sensor, different image processor. Performance at lower ISO is equivalent.

How superior image from KP compare to K3ii.
Improved high ISO performance.

Steve

11-12-2020, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP uses a new APS-C sensor with the PRIME IV processor, the same as used by the K-1 II. With its relatively compact size and weight, it would seem the KP would be most ideal for your stated purposes. GPS can be added with an inexpensive accessory as needed. I have been a very happy KP user for over 2 years now. I still keep, and sometimes still use, my old workhorse-buddy K-5 IIs. The KP is lighter by an ounce or so- enough to be comparatively noticeable, and is more svelte, perhaps even pocketable with a small Limited in a large jacket pocket- like the DA HD 40mm, or even the DA HD 70, 21, or 15mm!

No doubt the K-3 III will surpass even the KP in terms of low noise, perhaps by one stop by the looks of its expanded ISO range, but its 26mp sensor will most certainly not deliver a visible improvement in resolution. Its main advancement will most likely be in its increased 100x VF magnification over the 95x of the KP which is already excellent, and a substantial increase in AF speed and buffer speed and depth for burst shooting. Probably better video capability as well.

While the K-5 IIs is an ounce or so heavier than the KP, the K-3 III will be yet 3 ounces more! Which means a quarter pound heavier than the KP! I don't use the KP's articulating screen often, but when I need it, it can be very handy. And I do use the built-in flash fairly often for on-demand fill. I am sure the K-3 III will appeal to many, but upon examination, and the fact I am hardly ever a burst shooter, I've come to the conclusion it is not for me.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-13-2020 at 12:11 PM.
11-12-2020, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Or almost 7 Pentax K-5s or almost 17 Pentax K-20s! Why keep comparing the price of a new camera to the price of different older cameras?
The KP is currently available new from Pentax, something not true for some time for the other bodies mentioned by you.

In olden days, Street shooters used f/8 for the DOF it provided.
If the OP uses a 'reasonable' aperture, newest focusing would not be needed.
We have no idea yet how images from the newest sensor will look, which most likely will be the only meaningful difference between it and the KP for the uses mentioned.
11-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were the OP, I would go for the KP + GRIII.

11-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #20
Unregistered User

Indeed K3III in the table shows GPS via accessory. I missed that. Absence of GPS as one more evidence of technological advancement.
Perhaps Ricoh/Pentax is slowly returning to their key activities: "putting a great camera in a small body". To achieve that they cut out a number of space taking features such as a flash and GPS. Wonder what they will leave out on the next edtion of the APS-C flagship.
11-12-2020, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Pentax New when it arrives will be (probably):
  • Excellent APS-C camera
  • Will cost at least $1600..1700

But now the same money can buy me KP + Ricoh GR III or used K3ii and Ricoh GR III.

And second question: does KP and K3II have the same sensor? How superior image from KP compare to K3ii.
(My shooting preferences are street, occasional landscapes, closeout: not macro, just small things or not very small but in unusual environment.)
Nobody's going to like what I'm going to say: Only 1 UHS-II card slot? Really? For $1600-$1700 USD???

The Fuji XT3 is $999 right now and has 2 UHS II card slots.

Is it really any kind of important thing? Not really. But for the money they are going to want it's sad to see them cutting corners and at not meeting the minimum specifications that are pretty industry standard right now. I'm not sure what else is lacking, I have not looked too deeply into it, but 1 UHS II slot is a bad start. At least for me anyways.

This was a camera I have been looking forward to for 3+ years. Not really doing it for me. Sorry. But we'll see what the reviews say, though I am definitely NOT on the pre-order list so far.
11-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Nobody's going to like what I'm going to say: Only 1 UHS-II card slot? Really? For $1600-$1700 USD???

The Fuji XT3 is $999 right now and has 2 UHS II card slots.

Is it really any kind of important thing? Not really. But for the money they are going to want it's sad to see them cutting corners and at not meeting the minimum specifications that are pretty industry standard right now. I'm not sure what else is lacking, I have not looked too deeply into it, but 1 UHS II slot is a bad start. At least for me anyways.

This was a camera I have been looking forward to for 3+ years. Not really doing it for me. Sorry. But we'll see what the reviews say, though I am definitely NOT on the pre-order list so far.
I am afraid this thread may go into wrong direction. I did not have intension to discuss how good/bad/expensive K New will be. My sole intension was to get input regarding pro/vs of K New compare to existing options. Where I live there is no place to put a hand on these cameras. Probably need to rent one online to decide.

Last edited by jumbleview; 11-12-2020 at 04:38 PM.
11-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am afraid this thread may go into wrong direction.
Thanks for reminding us that just because someone wants to provoke a hijack, the rest of us need not oblige. I have edited out my responses.

Is it really any kind of important thing? Not really.
not meeting the minimum specifications that are pretty industry standard right now.
This was a camera I have been looking forward to for 3+ years. Not really doing it for me. Sorry. But we'll see what the reviews

Steve

(...tried to filter by SD bus type...not an option...apparently not that important...)
11-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But now the same money can buy me KP + Ricoh GR III or used K3ii and Ricoh GR III.
If you are considering the K-3 Mark III, it would be my recommendation to wait until it is released or launched. Then you will know for certain its full specifications, all the features, and the price. And, there might be some reviews that will indicate the performance of the camera. Then, a fair comparison can be made against your other options.

I think it is important to decide your main requirements and what attributes are most important to you, for example, price, size/mass, GPS, tilt screen, etc.

For what it's worth, I am happy with my K-3 II, but might consider the K-3 Mark III for its improved viewfinder, smart function, better metering, and a number of other advantages.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-12-2020 at 04:12 PM.
11-12-2020, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At this point I would perhaps get the GR III now wait and see what the K3iii offers when released compared to the others, it's only about 3 months away.
11-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right. That I consider as well. But K3II attract me with GPS for geo-tagging and KP with articulated monitor (for street and closeout). K-new will likely be with GPS but without articulated monitor.
Not sure if you knew about, or considered it, but you can get a hot shoe mounted GPS unit for cameras without one built in. It adds some bulk and cost, but gets you the best of both worlds if lack of GPS is what is holding you back with the KP.

Though I personal prefer the K3 II over the KP for that and other reasons.
11-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could get hit by a bus before the K-new hits the streets. Buy a GR-III and get out and make some images.
11-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Not sure if you knew about, or considered it, but you can get a hot shoe mounted GPS unit for cameras without one built in. It adds some bulk and cost, but gets you the best of both worlds if lack of GPS is what is holding you back with the KP.
. . .
QuoteQuote:
Description:
This is a hotshoe-mounted GPS unit for select Pentax DSLRS's that does not have a built-in GPS receiver. The O-GPS1 adds star tracking capability and EXIF data geotagging. Star tracking ("Astrotracing" per Pentax) is achieved via the camera's sensor-shift stabilization system.

The unit is powered by a single AAA battery.

The O GPS1 launch price was $249. It was announced in June, 2011 became available in July, 2011. The price was reduced to $199 at retailers in December, 2011.

Read our in-depth O-GPS1 review - Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and our Comparison with a built-in GPS unit - O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

General Specifications

Power Supply One AAA battery
Battery Life 7h (NiMh/Alkaline), 12h (Lithium) at normal temperature
Weight 1.8oz (51g)
Dimensions 1.9 x 1.3 x 2.3 inches
Supported Cameras
- Astrotracing KP, K-3, K-S2, K-S1, K-70, K-50, K-30, K-5 family, K-r
- Simple navigation K-5 family, K-r, 645D
- Electronic Compass KP, K-3, K-S2, K-S1, K-70, K-50, K-30, K-5 family, K-r, K-5 family, K-r, 645D, 645Z and K-01

GPS Specifications

Recorded Data Lat, Lon, Alt, Time (UTC), Direction
Reference Direction True North
GPS Receiver 50 Channel Tracking, Supports SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS)
Positioning Interval 1 second
Acquisition time 5 seconds (40 when cold)
GPS Accuracy 10 meters
Compass Accuracy +/- 5°
Positioning Interval Approx 8X
Geodesics World Geodetic System (WGS 84)

Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote

Though I personal prefer the K3 II over the KP for that and other reasons.
I did that with K5ii. And eventually sold the unit. For astro-tracer it maybe OK but for geo-tagging I disliked it. 1. It adds bulk to the camera. 2. It has separate battery. It turns on by small button (not the switch) and small led just tell you if it is on. You never can be sure if you just missed the button or battery is depleted. 3. It blocks the camera flash and flash shoe: both.

I believe that for geo-tagging there is way to use smart phone if camera supports modern wi-fi interfaces. Probably for K New that will be the case (for astro-traces external unit should still keep its value).
11-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I am afraid this thread may go into wrong direction. I did not have intension to discuss how good/bad/expensive K New will be. My sole intension was to get input regarding pro/vs of K New compare to existing options. Where I live there is no place to put a hand on these cameras. Probably need to rent one online to decide.
Wrong direction? Hijack? What's with the new normal where anyone who politely dares to disagree with the mob is commiting an offense against humanity?

I gave an opinion on the new K3 camera. I would think that implicit in that opinion was my recommendation to get the other option the OP provided namely to get a KP or GrIII.

So to amend what I said for clarity, which should have been implied in my post, I think the OP would be better off getting a KP or GRIII or both compared to what seems to be a very expensive new camera with what seems to be already outdated specifications.

Best of luck with whatever the OP decides. Can't really go wrong either way, it's only money after all.