Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think at least part of the issue is that folks are shooting hand-held with larger, heavier lenses than ever. People routinely shoot hand-held with 2kg+ lenses that stretch to 500 or 600mm focal lengths. Not very common back in the film daze.
Does Pentax really sell many 560mm lenses? The problem with really "long" lenses is as much as aiming them as holding them steady, which is as true of a body with a grip as any other type of body; I can hand-hold my Q-7 with a 200mm lens - which really consists of holding the lens and letting the body follow - but aiming it is a real problem. Beyond some point we really need to use a monopod or tripod regardless of what body-type is used.

11-15-2020, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does Pentax really sell many 560mm lenses? The problem with really "long" lenses is as much as aiming them as holding them steady, which is as true of a body with a grip as any other type of body; I can hand-hold my Q-7 with a 200mm lens - which really consists of holding the lens and letting the body follow - but aiming it is a real problem. Beyond some point we really need to use a monopod or tripod regardless of what body-type is used.
Speaking as someone who shoots a 2.9kg camera+lens combination handheld for periods of 3-5 hours about 3 times a week, I can say that the ergonomics of the body IS important. Having my right hand feel comfortable in the grip of the camera allows me to balance the camera and lens really well. I would not want to shoot this weight if the camera were a boxy type thing with no grip.
11-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Speaking as someone who shoots a 2.9kg camera+lens combination handheld for periods of 3-5 hours about 3 times a week, I can say that the ergonomics of the body IS important. Having my right hand feel comfortable in the grip of the camera allows me to balance the camera and lens really well. I would not want to shoot this weight if the camera were a boxy type thing with no grip.
Which focal length is this??
11-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Which focal length is this??
600mm

11-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
600mm
Frankly, I doubt if many camera users use such a long lens.
I can see why you would want a K-3iii for that.
11-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Does Pentax really sell many 560mm lenses?
I suspect that except for very specific applications, the release of the 150-450mm has effectively killed sales of the 560mm - the 450mm is lighter, has shorter minimum working distance, the same minimum aperture, is of course cheaper while being devilishly sharp compared to its peers, and also apparently controls aberrations better. Looking at all that, the magnification difference between 450mm and 560mm at a given distance from target is not worth worrying about. (And did I say the 450mm zooms out to 150mm when you need to?)
11-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beyond some point we really need to use a monopod or tripod regardless of what body-type is used.
Absolutely. And not just because of longer lenses. Certain conditions and effects desired make this a must. Yet, the reason given for omitting the pull-out rear screen on the K-3 III while the K-1 II has one, was given by the Pentax head designer- that with a camera like the K-1 II users would be more inclined to use a tripod! What? If I'm using APS-C, either I am not the kind of photographer who would use a tripod, or the APS-C is more able and less in need of one? What nonsense! While I agree that the K-1 II (and KP) screen can be very convenient for tripod use, it is the situation that makes using one necessary, not the camera type.

11-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There were plenty of 200mm to 300mm lenses in that weight range that were being shot hand-held (e.g. Tamron SP 300/2.8 (80B) at 2096gm) back in the day, but the norm for tele zoom might have been something like the Tamron SP 70-210/3.5 (19AH) at 860gm or the Pentax-A 70-210/4.0 at 680gm. Below is the Tamron 19AH on my Super Program.

It is ungainly enough that I have rigged a tripod ring for use on my K-3 when doing fine work, but is hand-holdable on the Super-Program when the camera is in its half-case. That last is an important qualifier. Adding the half case provides additional contour and surface lacking on the camera alone.

Steve
Now I want to take a snap of my Super Program mounted to my K 135-600
11-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
You might say that it's because I'm accustomed to K-3 or K-1 and you'll possibly be right.
That's a common experience. For many years I shot exclusively with the ME Super and then the Super Program. Later, much larger AF Pentax models came, such as the PZ-1p, which had a substantial right-hand grip and a different feel. I still have mine. This design was continued when the DSLR emerged. After those years and then using models like the K20D and then finding the K-5 design to be less of a handful, the feel of the KP came as a surprise, but for me a pleasant one, like meeting an old friend.

I still have a Super Program with the M 40mm f/2.8 on it sitting on a shelf. Very much like a KP and a DA 21, 40, 15, or 70 with the smallest grip, which is yet somewhat more substantial than that of the Super Program. I love that feel and that I can shove it into a large jacket pocket if I wish. The powered ME winder had quite a large handle, and converted such a compact camera into a very substantial handful. Convenient for going about with a larger lens, much like the same principle when using the KP's battery grip, which can also be held in the vertical position for yet more gripping surface when not shooting, if rigged with a heavy lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-15-2020 at 08:55 PM.
11-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt Pentax sells many of the 560mm lenses, but remember for a long time Sigma sold various flavors of their xxx-500mm lenses in K mount. They were popular with Pentax wildlife enthusiasts, as there were no competing Pentax products until the DFA 150-450mm.

I was speaking in general terms, though. Users of other brands also express a desire to use larger cameras with larger lenses. As you noted, "aiming is a real problem". I am better at aiming large lenses when my right hand is completely on the camera - K3 II + battery grip - than when my pinky is curled underneath, like when I use the K-70. This is true whether I'm shooting hand-held, or with a monopod/tripod.

Come to think of it, I should note that all of my large lenses are manual focus. So my left hand has more to do than simply holding the lens steady. My usage scenario is thus uncommon.
11-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frankly, I doubt if many camera users use such a long lens.
I can see why you would want a K-3iii for that.
The Tamron and Sigma 150-600's are very popular. I think normhead once mentioned seeing a number of ladies at one of the local wildlife hotspots sporting such lenses.
11-15-2020, 11:43 PM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The powered ME winder had quite a large handle, and converted such a compact camera into a very substantial handful. Convenient for going about with a larger lens, much like the same principle when using the KP's battery grip, which can also be held in the vertical position for yet more gripping surface when not shooting, if rigged with a heavy lens.
There is my ME Winder II at lower right in the below photo attached to the Super Program. I have used the grip with the Pentax-A 70-210/4 and it balances well, though it is still a bit petite for my hands.

Sharing the photo with Ricoh XR7 at center and Ricoh XR-2s at left.

Steve
11-16-2020, 03:57 AM   #88
Pentaxian

I doubt Pentax sells many of the 560mm lenses

I guess no official numbers available. But, as Sigma does not produce any long telephoto lenses for Pentax mount anymore, it's (DA560) nowadays the only chance after all.

I like mine (spite I see it the compromises in its design) and look forward to pair the new K-3 III with this lens.
11-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #89
Veteran Member

The Tamron and Sigma 150-600's are very popular. I think normhead once mentioned seeing a number of ladies at one of the local wildlife hotspots sporting such lenses.
I see both men and women carrying these lenses almost all the time when I go out to a popular birding spot.
11-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Does Pentax really sell many 560mm lenses?
It seems like 400 copies:
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax made 400 of the 560mm lens. I'm pretty sure they are still selling from this initial batch and I doubt they will make more of them when sold out....