Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait for Pentax New or... ?

Pentax New when it arrives will be (probably):
  • Excellent APS-C camera
  • Will cost at least $1600..1700

But now the same money can buy me KP + Ricoh GR III or used K3ii and Ricoh GR III.
Would it be wise investment?

And second question: does KP and K3II have the same sensor? How superior image from KP compare to K3ii.
(My shooting preferences are street, occasional landscapes, closeout: not macro, just small things or not very small but in unusual environment.)

Last edited by jumbleview; 11-12-2020 at 08:18 AM.
11-12-2020, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

If you're not shooting moving subjects that challenge the AF system, you'll be fine with any of those cameras. The K-3III will supposedly have the best AF available out of any current Pentax body, but it's yet to be tested to see how much of an improvement it will actually have over the current Pentax AF.
11-12-2020, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe the K-3 III is going to be a fast-action camera. Sports, wildlife, etc.
In your example, since you have no need for the fastest fps, fastest AF, and lots of AF points - I would get a KP.

Yes, the KP has a different sensor than the K3II.
11-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
  • Excellent APS-C camera

But now the same money can buy me KP + Ricoh GR III or used K3ii and Ricoh GR III.

And second question: does KP and K3II have the same sensor? How superior image from KP compare to K3ii.
(My shooting preferences are street, occasional landscapes, closeout: not macro, just small things or not very small but in unusual environment.)
Or almost 7 Pentax K-5s or almost 17 Pentax K-20s! Why keep comparing the price of a new camera to the price of different older cameras?

11-12-2020, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your profile states you have a K-5iis... So maybe get a GRiii now for street shooting and wait to see what/when the K-New delivers exactly?
11-12-2020, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Or almost 7 Pentax K-5s or almost 17 Pentax K-20s! Why keep comparing the price of a new camera to the price of different older cameras?
Of course, you are right. Stupid me. I'll buy 17 k-20s. Much better deal.

---------- Post added 11-12-20 at 07:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Your profile states you have a K-5iis... So maybe get a GRiii now for street shooting and wait to see what/when the K-New delivers exactly?
Right. That I consider as well. But K3II attract me with GPS for geo-tagging and KP with articulated monitor (for street and closeout). K-new will likely be with GPS but without articulated monitor.

Last edited by jumbleview; 11-12-2020 at 08:40 AM.
11-12-2020, 08:48 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw a Youtuber today that in response to questions about the 3-III said, "I am sure it will take wonderful pictures, let's move on." He then went on to suggest watching for the price of used K-3s to drop and to appear on the market. YouTube predictions are never wrong.

11-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Saw a Youtuber today that in response to questions about the 3-III said, "I am sure it will take wonderful pictures, let's move on." He then went on to suggest watching for the price of used K-3s to drop and to appear on the market. YouTube predictions are never wrong.
I chuckled at that.

But back to topic - I think there is a very obvious answer here. If you can have fun now, why wait?

I was initially a bit "meh" on the KP because it doesn't have the most stellar buffer, but I think it really has stood the test of time. And the GR III is an absolute beast for what it is (single focal length, truly pocketable, large sensor).
11-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the forums' comparison tool can be very helpful:

K 3 III ( what we know of it ) vs K 70 vs KP vs K 3 II

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

my suggested strategy -

1 determine what are your " photographic " needs

2 which fits those better

3 what features would you want or miss

4 do you need the " latest and brightest " for any reason

5 ask questions

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-12-2020 at 09:16 AM.
11-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
Unregistered User

"K-new will likely be with GPS but without articulated monitor." It will likely be without GPS, that is a certainty. And Enoeske is right: You should not compare a brand new camera with all new technology to an old(er) camera with out of date technology. Jumbleview, I am glad that you agree with me that he is right about that .
11-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my suggested strategy -

1 determine what are your " photographic " needs

2 which fits those better

3 what features would you want or miss

4 do you need the " latest and brightest " for any reason

5 ask questions
That almost reads like a free procurement workshop.
11-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
That almost reads like a free procurement workshop.
is that good
11-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
"K-new will likely be with GPS but without articulated monitor." It will likely be without GPS, that is a certainty. And Enoeske is right: You should not compare a brand new camera with all new technology to an old(er) camera with out of date technology. Jumbleview, I am glad that you agree with me that he is right about that .
Indeed K3III in the table shows GPS via accessory. I missed that. Absence of GPS as one more evidence of technological advancement.
11-12-2020, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

• Excellent APS-C camera

Jumble, I was waiting or the K-new as well to do my upgrade. I went with the KP--sharing my decision-making process, very similar to aslyfox and Breakfast's posts above:
- Price point (for about $1000 estimated less I was looking at the KP, which I ended up getting a virtually new one for $600)
- Needs as a user: mostly landscape, then street and looking for image quality improvement, not too big, customizable, at 24MP and great quality on the KP (or K3 for that matter), so not sure I was going to get that much more for the extra $$
- New what I was getting and not getting---tried both KP and KIII- known commodity
- Added bonus factor: my spouse/budget coordinator..."your doing what?"
- After all that, did not feel guilty buying used M and K lenses for less than $100 to practice my shooting manual with old glass

I love the sensor and quality of the images on my KP by the way
11-12-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But now the same money can buy me KP + Ricoh GR III or used K3ii and Ricoh GR III.Would it be wise investment?
Only you can really answer the question as we don't know your financial situation or your photographic preferences.

A couple of thoughts though:
- KP does have a newer sensor than the K-3II
- K-3II has the prosumer body style with larger battery, dual cards and GPS
- A used K-3II would obviously be much less expensive than a new K-3III
- The K-3III will not be available until spring. At least. The phrase "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush comes to mind". IOW: K-3II is available now K-3III will be available someday. Probably.
- The K-3II has the same body style as your K-5IIs the KP is different
- How much shooting are you going to do between now and spring? Will you get use out of a new camera or are you locked down by weather?

If it was me, I would consider getting a good used K-3II now and then seeing what the K-3III has in the spring. If you buy right on the K-3II you can resell in the spring at not much loss, just basically rent it for 6 months. And then see what the K-3III has. Maybe it will be greatest thing since tintype, maybe not. Either way you are covered.