Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2020, 12:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP is not bad at all, but it's not flagship. My main problem with this camera is ergonomy, which is far from being so good as K-3 or K-1.

11-13-2020, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
at the price the new one will come in at, for me the upgrade might be to the K-3 II
11-13-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
KP is not bad at all, but it's not flagship. My main problem with this camera is ergonomy, which is far from being so good as K-3 or K-1.
I am happy with ergonomics of the KP.
11-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Nobody's going to like what I'm going to say: Only 1 UHS-II card slot? Really? For $1600-$1700 USD???

The Fuji XT3 is $999 right now and has 2 UHS II card slots.

Is it really any kind of important thing? Not really. But for the money they are going to want it's sad to see them cutting corners and at not meeting the minimum specifications that are pretty industry standard right now. I'm not sure what else is lacking, I have not looked too deeply into it, but 1 UHS II slot is a bad start. At least for me anyways.

This was a camera I have been looking forward to for 3+ years. Not really doing it for me. Sorry. But we'll see what the reviews say, though I am definitely NOT on the pre-order list so far.
With so much "information" flying around, we still do not know all about the K-3 III. We don't know for sure about GPS being included. We do know for sure that it will have no articulating screen and no built-in flash. This has been stated. But right there in the spec sheet it is shown that it DOES indeed include 2 SD card slots, no doubt accepting of the latest types.

---------- Post added 11-13-20 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am happy with ergonomics of the KP.
Me too- I love it. And I can alter it according to what I'll be doing.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-13-2020 at 12:26 PM.
11-13-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #35
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
... But right there in the spec sheet it is shown that it DOES indeed include 2 SD card slots, no doubt accepting of the latest types.
Right there in the spec sheet it says that both SD-slots do NOT accept the latest types: "UHS-II is slot 1 only"

I don't care about this personally, but I am sure that there are some who will complain.

Dan
11-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

KP is actually probably the best APS-c Dslr Pentax has made.

My only small complaint is battery life, but then you can add the grip and get more battery life than you could really want. It is the age old trade off, size vs capability. The KP is a very nice balance between the two with options that are nice.

---------- Post added 11-13-20 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Right there in the spec sheet it says that both SD-slots do NOT accept the latest types: "UHS-II is slot 1 only"

I don't care about this personally, but I am sure that there are some who will complain.

Dan
It really comes down to price. At $995 USD MSRP, I'd be REALLY excited and pre-order 2 ASAP. Seriously.

At anything north of $1200 USD, it's a pass.

(I'm assuming that the AF and other such things will be the usual state of the art from 3-5 years back Pentax new release, as the non UHSII card slot kinda indicates what's in store. IF the camera actually comes in with more like 2020 competitive speed, AF and processing power, then I reserve the right to up my happy price. )
11-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

KP is not bad at all, but it's not flagship. My main problem with this camera is ergonomy, which is far from being so good as K-3 or K-1 . . . .
KP is actually probably the best APS-c Dslr Pentax has made. . . .
the KP is not the best nor the worse, it offers features not found on other Pentax camera bodies but not all need or want those features

it fails to offer features found on other Pentax bodies which some of us want

it is a matter of personal choice and desires

QuoteQuote:
Pentax KP Review
Introduction
The Pentax KP is a 24 megapixel APS-C format DSLR camera launched in early 2017 as a premium mid-range model between the upper entry-level K-70 and flagship K-3 II. . .
Read more at: Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I was lucky enough to win a free KP from the forums

after trying it, I gave it to my son since it did not fit my needs and I preferred my K 3 II and K 3

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-13-2020 at 09:03 PM.
11-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wrong direction? Hijack? What's with the new normal where anyone who politely dares to disagree with the mob is commiting an offense against humanity?
I dunno...a challenge to the mob was extended in the first sentence. Are you upset that the OP and not the mob responded?

Best of luck with whatever the OP decides.
They are the OP.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-13-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: gender neutrality
11-13-2020, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
is that good
Meant as a compliment, yes.
11-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I dunno...a challenge to the mob was extended in the first sentence. Are you upset that the OP and not the mob responded?

They are the OP.

Steve

Why the hostility Steve? I am not "upset" in any way shape or form. Seems you are though about something I said, or maybe just the way I said it, or maybe you just don't like me.

And I was responding to both of you, but quoted the OP, a little nit picky, no?

Again, what did I do to get you to focus in on me? Sorry whatever it is.

---------- Post added 11-13-20 at 07:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the KP is not the best nor the worse, it offers features not found on other Pentax camera bodies but not all need or want those features

it fails to offer features found on other Pentax bodies which some of us want

it is a matter of personal choice and desires

Read more at: Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I was lucky enough to win a free KP from the forums

I after trying it, I gave it to my son since it did not fit my needs and I preferred my K 3 II and K 3
We all have our opinions.
11-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
at the price the new one will come in at, for me the upgrade might be to the K-3 II
I like my K-3 II so much that if I find a good deal on a gently used one next year, I'll buy it.
11-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Only 1 UHS-II card slot?
It's the camera industry's way of saying, "we hear you, but we don't agree with you".

See also:
  • Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III
  • Canon EOS R5
  • Leica SL
  • the list probably goes on
All of them have two cards slots with different data rates, meaning one of them slows the camera down more than the other, and you should not use both symetrically if you want maximum speed. Put another way, full speed or full back-up, pick one.

Or get a camera with symmetric slots.
11-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I like my K-3 II so much that if I find a good deal on a gently used one next year, I'll buy it.
I like my KP so much that I have no interest at all in getting another camera body right now.
11-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I like my KP so much that I have no interest at all in getting another camera body right now.
Different scenario. If your KP met with an unexpected end within the next couple of years, you would likely be able to buy a new one or one lightly used.

The outlook is not so rosy for the older K-3 II.
11-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Different scenario. If your KP met with an unexpected end within the next couple of years, you would likely be able to buy a new one or one lightly used.

The outlook is not so rosy for the older K-3 II.
Pentax is about to announce a replacement for the K-3ii.
If Pentax were teasing a replacement for the KP, and if my KP met with an unexpected end in the next few months, I would use my Q-7 and/or my K-30 for a few months until the first users had the replacement in their hands, and then make a decision.