Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Out of the box K20D...

Hey Guys,

I have just purchased the wonderful K20D, and I was just wondering if there are recommendations on what I should do from straight out of the box ie:settings or any tweaks that i should or shouldn't do or basically anything i need to kno that will help me.
The only thing I have noticed is that a few pics seem to be underexposed in green mode,I wont be staying on green mode forever,just untill I get to kno more about the camera of course....So for now any tips for the newbie would be great!

Regards
Simon

11-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum.
I don't have the K20 yet but probably will soon. It is well worth getting the Magic Lantern Guide for your camera. It explains what settings to try and how to take different kinds of shots. I bought one for my K10 and it was invaluable as was/is the wealth and knowledge imparted by the generous, friendly members of this forum.
Happy shooting.
11-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cool Gary, I will look into it right now...Cheers mate!

Last edited by Simon23; 11-11-2008 at 05:11 AM.
11-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best recomendation I can give you is that before you even turn on the camera, read the manual fully several times.

I know, manual reading is not "manly", but in this case, helps a lot.

Robert B

11-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Read the manual. However, if you go through the menu's much is self exclamatory.

Ben
11-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Simon ... the manual for these aren't too bad to read ... and some decent information can be had from reading through it.

There are a lot of menus and setting on the camera .. although you probably won't really need to get into those yet. The Magic Lantern Books are good as well.

One good thing to do though ... is keep shooting ... and comparing setting used on images ... and see what works and what doesn't. What I found myself doing at first with my K10D was set it on Av ... and keep taking shots on one object ... but using different apertures to understand how it altered the image ... and then from there I figured different metering modes helped in some situations ... and in others it just screwed my images up.

Trial and Error can be a big help ... just getting the time to do it is the hard part.
11-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Read the manual. However, if you go through the menu's much is self exclamatory.

Ben
I couldn't agree more, I think the complete process is.

#1 read the manual,
#2 think about it,
#3 go out and take some photos,
#4 look at the photos
#5 re-read the manual

In step 2, you might want to turn off as many "auto functions" as you can, Auto ISO and Auto WB especially. You want to get the basic's of how the camera behaves with other things such as the metering modes first, without getting disappointed by unexpected decisions the camera makes for you.
11-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon23 Quote
The only thing I have noticed is that a few pics seem to be underexposed in green mode,I wont be staying on green mode forever,just untill I get to kno more about the camera of course....So for now any tips for the newbie would be great!

Regards
Simon
It's unlikely that the camera underexposed a few shots in Green mode. It's far more likely that it exposed correctly, but there was a bright object in the frame. Usually this happens with dark land and a bright sky. The camera exposes so that the average amount of light is correct. If you take a photo of some trees and the sky, it will try to preserve some detail in the sky. The trees, which are likely your main subject, will be rendered a little too dark. This is because the camera has limited dynamic range. Unlike the human eye, the camera can't expose both trees and skies properly. Point & shoot cameras have even less dynamic range, but will usually take this light/dark photo by blowing out the detail in the sky, which is the best compromise most of the time. I suggest you leave Green Mode immediately and move to Program mode. Use the Normal setting in Hyper-Program. It works just like Green Mode, but allows you to take control of the camera gradually as you learn.

Read up on the three types of metering; Matrix, Center and Spot, so that you control what gets exposed and by how much. You can also control exposure using Exposure Compensation. Exposure bracketing is another useful feature to learn. I suggest you buy a copy of Understanding Exposure, it's the perennial favourite recommendation for new DSLR users. That sounds like a lot to learn but it's not hard and it's a lot more fun when you are making the decisions instead of the camera.

11-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
Cool guys thanks for all that info, and everything that has been suggested is either what I have been doing or makes a lot of sense so thanx for the start up and I will look forward to discovering land earning more about myself as a photographer if I can call myself one at this stage...lol!

Regards
Simon
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Forum Member

Imho

Please don't read the whole manuel before you shoot some pictures, IMHO. Takes all the fun out of it and this is a weighty camera and has lots of stuff to ponder. I suggest you look at the first few schematics, figure out what is where (even if you aren't spot on as to what each thing does), check out the shooting settings and pick a simple user input solution, and go shoot. As you wander on to stuff that crops up, do, by all means go back to the manuel or the Green Lantern book and check out that specific thing. Your learning curve will go way up and it will be a lot more fun.

Oh, BTW, let me know, when you get there, what you think of the in-camera HDR! I wish I had it.
11-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I went +1 on contrast based on my processing tendency with the K100D. Kind of immaterial, though, as I shoot RAW.
11-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
Please don't read the whole manuel before you shoot some pictures, IMHO. Takes all the fun out of it and this is a weighty camera and has lots of stuff to ponder. I suggest you look at the first few schematics, figure out what is where (even if you aren't spot on as to what each thing does), check out the shooting settings and pick a simple user input solution, and go shoot. As you wander on to stuff that crops up, do, by all means go back to the manuel or the Green Lantern book and check out that specific thing. Your learning curve will go way up and it will be a lot more fun.

Oh, BTW, let me know, when you get there, what you think of the in-camera HDR! I wish I had it.
I'm with ya on that Red I'm flicking thro the manual as I need to and playing with the settings and taking alot of pics and it is fun as u say.Yeah I havent got to hdr yet but I have been reading up on that and I can't wait to give them a real go as the final product of HDR looks really cool...I'll post some up!!!

Great advice from everyone there. Thanx heaps ppl!