Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #16

You can always set a partition on a newer card to 2GB or smaller. The camera should recognize the partition and you can format it in the camera. If you format it on your PC or Mac make sure to use FAT32 and not NTFS.

I'm not familiar with Mac OS but here is a guide for Windows 10:

How To Partition A USB Or SD Card With Disk Management In Windows 10

11-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can always set a partition on a newer card to 2GB or smaller. The camera should recognize the partition and you can format it in the camera. If you format it on your PC or Mac make sure to use FAT32 and not NTFS.

I'm not familiar with Mac OS but here is a guide for Windows 10:

How To Partition A USB Or SD Card With Disk Management In Windows 10
Are you sure? I thought it was a more fundamental issue.
11-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have managed to sort a few cards. I tried the firmware but can't seem to work my way around it. My ex used to do all that sort of thing. So I'll carry on as is, don't want to mess the camera up.
11-21-2020, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Did you "extract' the firmware file that you downloaded? It's a bit messy, you need to extract it, and then that will leave you with two files: one being a something.bin and a readme.txt. It's the something.bin file you need to put on the sdcard.

I'm charging my batteries as I type, and I will update mine too: It's still on v1.00, I only got it a few weeks back, it was a victim of battery corrosion: So I've been using it to make sure the battery contracts are reliable before I botch a firmware update :/ I'll update it probably tomorrow when batteries are fresh.

11-21-2020, 06:27 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
Did you "extract' the firmware file that you downloaded? It's a bit messy, you need to extract it, and then that will leave you with two files: one being a something.bin and a readme.txt. It's the something.bin file you need to put on the sdcard.

I'm charging my batteries as I type, and I will update mine too: It's still on v1.00, I only got it a few weeks back, it was a victim of battery corrosion: So I've been using it to make sure the battery contracts are reliable before I botch a firmware update :/ I'll update it probably tomorrow when batteries are fresh.
Hope you get on OK.

I downloaded the file. And the extraction software but couldn't seem to open it via the software. I only have a 2gb card at the moment which is what prompted the original question, so not sure it'll be enough.
11-22-2020, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
2gb is plenty: IIRC in the readme file it says 8mb, so it's not a large file at all.

It says it takes about 90 seconds, but I counted to almost 120, so it does take a 'long' time.

Now if I hold menu and turn it on, it's at ver 1.02, so now I need to go grab a bigger card so I can shot with this more often
11-22-2020, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
2gb is plenty: IIRC in the readme file it says 8mb, so it's not a large file at all.

It says it takes about 90 seconds, but I counted to almost 120, so it does take a 'long' time.

Now if I hold menu and turn it on, it's at ver 1.02, so now I need to go grab a bigger card so I can shot with this more often
Great news, I'll have to have a look at unpacking the download again. I managed to download GIMP photo editing sofware fine.
Hope the new SDHC works fine for you.

Am supposed to be doing a uni assignment but migraines and distractions aren't helping.

IMGP1564 (3) by Jane English, For a standard kit lens, and manual focus practice, am pleased with this macro shot this morning.

11-22-2020, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

16 abd 32gb cards are super cheap right now...
11-22-2020, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Porffor Quote
Great news, I'll have to have a look at unpacking the download again. I managed to download GIMP photo editing sofware fine.
Hope the new SDHC works fine for you.

Am supposed to be doing a uni assignment but migraines and distractions aren't helping.

IMGP1564 (3) by Jane English, For a standard kit lens, and manual focus practice, am pleased with this macro shot this morning.
Lovely image.
11-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lovely image.
Thank you
11-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are you sure? I thought it was a more fundamental issue.
The old firmware doesn't recognize partitions over 2GB. Might even be FAT16 too. The Camera Store was able to use a PCMCIA to SD card adapter by partitioning the card to whatever the max is that the Kodak DCS 420 is limited to. They had trouble finding SD cards smaller than 2GB. FAT16 has a limit of 4GB volumes, FAT32 has a limit of 2TB although MS limitied it to 32GB on their OSes.

DOS 3.3 would only support 32MB volumes even though it used FAT16. I had to partition a massive 120MB drive into 32MB volumes in order to use it. DOS 4.0 would support up to 2GB volumes but drives of that size were still years in the future.

Many of the counterfeit SD cards and USB sticks have the partition table hacked to show the volume is larger than the actual physical memory on the device. This will show up as read and write errors or if you format a supposed 64GB card and it shrinks down to say 4GB.
11-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The old firmware doesn't recognize partitions over 2GB. Might even be FAT16 too. The Camera Store was able to use a PCMCIA to SD card adapter by partitioning the card to whatever the max is that the Kodak DCS 420 is limited to. They had trouble finding SD cards smaller than 2GB. FAT16 has a limit of 4GB volumes, FAT32 has a limit of 2TB although MS limitied it to 32GB on their OSes.

DOS 3.3 would only support 32MB volumes even though it used FAT16. I had to partition a massive 120MB drive into 32MB volumes in order to use it. DOS 4.0 would support up to 2GB volumes but drives of that size were still years in the future.

Many of the counterfeit SD cards and USB sticks have the partition table hacked to show the volume is larger than the actual physical memory on the device. This will show up as read and write errors or if you format a supposed 64GB card and it shrinks down to say 4GB.
I'm aware of how partitioning might help, but I was under the impression from the sd card association that there was a larger difference. I have no devices to test this in so I'll take your word for it.