Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 02:54 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this re-examining, considering the K-3 III- my own surprising conclusion!

By now enough info has come through to basically know what to expect when the K-3 III appears- an outstanding APS-C performer. Its expanded VF magnification almost as large as the K-1 II, fast-firing and AF performance probably the best Pentax ever, low light/high ISO perhaps fairly near what the K-1 II is capable of, in a body just under 30 oz.

When all is said and done about what is lacking and what is beneficial, what is coming will be one fine-performing APS-C model. But as I have said, I am overjoyed with what my KP brings me, including what the K-3 III lacks. So what should my next step logically be? What makes the most sense for me? Then I looked again at my old, but top-notch favorite FF AF lenses just sitting there next to my fine Pentax AF film bodies, not all that useful to me on DSLRs for some years now, and I arrived at a conclusion that became clear at this point, yet surprising even to myself!

The K-1 II is only a couple of years old, it has been and still is very successful and competitive, so I would not expect a successor to be in development for at least another 2 years, and then I don't know If it it will be minus a useful feature the current model now has. And the price point is now down near what is expected for the K-3 III! So logic finally kicked in, and I ordered the K-1II with the 28-105 WR kit lens special! I've now reawakened my fine FF lenses, have been enjoying the experience for some 2 weeks, and I am delighted!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-22-2020 at 03:04 PM.
11-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your K-1II and D FA28-105 WR! What a combo!

I'm not surprised by your conclusion - not in the slightest. We're all on our own individual photographic journeys, and what's right for one of us won't be right for another. Even for those like me who remain committed to APS-C for one reason or another, the K-3III will be somewhat decisive due to the specifications, features and/or price... and whilst it will perform extremely well with full frame lenses, it'll never offer the precise experience they were designed for due to the cropped sensor. For those considering K-mount full frame, the K-1II is an amazing camera - and it will continue to be just as amazing even when it's finally superseded by a newer model in years to come (by which time I'm sure your K-1II will continue to provide sterling service).

You've chosen a fine full frame camera, with a rather good crop mode to boot. Again, congratulations!
11-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good decision which fits your needs. I have not yet managed to get the best from my K-3 so a new body remains hypothetical.
11-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have been using and loving my K1 for several years, with some great recent FF lenses bought to partner it (DFA 50, 15-30, 70-200, 150-450), and had hardly touched my K3 in that times. Recently though, I have started using it a lot for wildlife with the 150-450, and it's as good as ever.

However, I have a pile of excellent crop lenses that get as much use as before (DA 15 and 55-300 especially). When the K3iii comes out, with its better portability, AF and high ISO, I, like you, am looking forward to reconnecting with those old friends.

11-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering the price, I would have made the same decision if I were debating between K3 III to the K1 II.
11-22-2020, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I've now reawakened my fine FF lenses, have been enjoying the experience for some 2 weeks, and I am delighted!
Congratulations on your addition! The K-1 II and 28-105 is a great combo, as numerous others have indicated here.

I'm curious, though, why some of your lenses were sitting idle? I know others have also lamented that their 'full frame film lenses' are missing something on APS-C, and they're happy when those lenses are mated to the K-1.

I had an Olympus OM-10 in the 1980s, with only two lenses -- 50mm and 135mm -- so I didn't have much variety. However, with my K-3 II, I am happy to shoot at many focal lengths; I use full frame lenses at 28, 30, 43, 50, 85, and 100mm, and APS-C lenses at various other focal lengths. I don't think of them as only 'full frame' and they all serve me well.

@mikesbike, Which of your lenses were not providing joy on APS-C? Is it a question of focal length, or some other attribute that I'm missing?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-22-2020 at 05:44 PM.
11-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought the K1 because I felt my legacy glass needed a full frame home. But what really surprised me was how good the 28-105 is. If I'm taking the K1 out it's usually only that zoom and the 43 Ltd. I find it hard to refer to the zoom as a kit lens.

11-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Considering the price, I would have made the same decision if I were debating between K3 III to the K1 II.
For the sake of balance, I think it's worth pointing out that - price aside - APS-C and full frame offer different benefits and limitations, and one is not better than the other in every use case. The K-1II is undoubtedly superb... but it's bigger, heavier and - so far as continuous shooting is concerned - slower than the K-3III, not to mention that when used in APS-C crop mode it offers a smaller viewfinder area and lower resolution. There are many reasons to choose one format over the other, and price (or price difference) is arguably the least of them. I think the OP has made a very fine and appropriate choice, but there will be numerous folks whose preferences and use cases favour the smaller format, regardless of price...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-22-2020 at 05:50 PM.
11-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations, not only are you happy, but Ricoh would be entirely happy to upgrade to a K-1 instead of another APS-C camera. There is more potential to make money out of you in the future with lenses, for instance!

The kit lens is great, hope to see some pics when you can, Mike.
11-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the supportive remarks!
11-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations, It is a great thing to have various choices and to be able to choose what fits best for you. One size rarely fits all.
11-22-2020, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
One size rarely fits all.
But I would like one that fits the $100 pelican case my k-5 used to fit into.
11-22-2020, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@mikesbike, Which of your lenses were not providing joy on APS-C? Is it a question of focal length, or some other attribute that I'm missing?
My FF lenses that have been missing in action are of course use-able, but not nearly as use-ful for me on APS-C as they've been for decades on my 35mm film bodies, or as are APS-C lenses I have that offer a comparable FOV on APS-C bodies. Of course, the issue has to do with FL and FOV.

I have many FF lenses, some of which are not of a quality or a particular FOV that I have not surpassed with APS-C alternatives, so these are not of concern. A particular conundrum for APS-C is in the realm of a fast wide angle, which is already answered in FF lenses. That in addition to other favorites that parallel fine APS-C lenses for times I would be out with a FF body.

The faves I've had in mind are:

FA 28mm f/2.8, FA 35mm f/2, FA 43mm f/1.8 LTD- These 3 really have no parallel for APS-C. The DA 21mm which I have, is closer to 32mm but that is still not equal, and f/3.2 is not f/2.8 either. I have old test reports on this 28mm lens for film, as well as my own shots on film, and it does perform very well, even wide open and even very good at edges. I have always enjoyed the FA 43mm LTD as a versatile walk-around wide/normal fast compact prime with excellent build and imaging. Not nearly as versatile being as a short tele on APS-C, as for that, the DA 40mm LD is slightly more versatile on APS-C. I love it now again on my K-1 II! Similar story for my FA 35mm f/2. It is fine as a "normal" lens on APS-C, but is no longer a wide angle lens, which it is on FF- moderate WA and a fast one too, being very good even wide open! And yet it is vary light and compact. Such lightweight compactness, helps to compensate for the added weight of the K-1 II quite a bit. The FA 28mm, however, I have found to be good as a versatile walk-around, used with APS-C in the same way as the FA 43mm LTD is for FF, though not as fast. I even take the lens hood from my FA 43mm and screw it onto the FA 28mm for this use- same FOV! So for me that one straddles both formats for different uses.

I love the FA 77mm on both FF and APS-C. My fast 50mm FF lenses, FA 1.4 and "F" 1.7 I like on both, though I prefer the FA 43mm LTD on FF. Yet if my need is specifically for a fast normal with very good edge-to-edge even wide open, the "F" 50mm f/1.7 is the one.

Another is the "F" 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 ultra-compact zoom lens. Sharp imaging in a very small package! Not so useful, having no WA on APS-C.

Everyone has heard of the beauty and the beast. Well, the K-1 II sure is a beast! In fact for the first time, I now have nick-names for it and the KP- "the Beaut, and the Brute" (ha ha). But the K-1 II is far less of being the "Brute" with compact lenses. When I want to bring out the full beast in my "Brute", I attach my favorite FF zoom lens, my Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX (as in a Viking AX!) Pro II. With its heavily-ribbed all-metal construction, when on this camera makes for a brutal combination indeed! Yet it is actually more compact than the 24-70 current offerings, and does not change length when zooming or focusing. But boy is it built! Both zoom and focus collars have excellent, smooth nicely-damped action. When in AF mode, the collar does not move when focusing. I don't think its clutch will switch the body between AF/MF, therefore it will be necessary to switch both the body and the lens. I got it sometime around 1999-2001, in a discontinued deal from the last batch of new stock. It has produced many a crisp print from my film bodies. On the K-1 II, its screw-driven AF is fast as lightning! Performance has been excellent! In a couple of outings I got in some very impressive low light shots also.

In a good match-up is my Tokina AF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 with its heavily-ribbed metal body and 77mm filter size. it actually tested at 19mm, and thus is close to the same FOV range as my Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 on APS-C, and also very high image quality on both film and now digital.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-22-2020 at 10:01 PM.
11-22-2020, 07:34 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whenever I "re-examine" my gear, I wind up mostly sticking with what I've already got.
11-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you like the DA 40 and FA 43's field of view on your K-1, then your FA 28 should be getting good use on your APS-C camera, as the field of view is nearly identical.

I wish I could use the D-FA 28-105 on a film body. It seems like a very good lens given its size & weight.