Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
should i upgrade from my existing k100ds?

hey guys, just wondering whether you think i would benifit much from upgrading to a newer model pentax. i have been so happy with my k100ds. it has served me well over the last 13 months since purchasing. im sure many of you have seen some of my work on the forums, so you know the sort of style i have adapted whilst using this fantastic camera.
i guess im just seeking some advice from you guys, as to what i should do, and what to upgrade to.

regards,

DeeVee

11-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Seeing your work .. and what you are able to producing so far with the K100DS ... I am not sure if it is ... but then if you do upgrade ... you may really benefit from the better sensor in the K20D.

Some times though with the city scape work you do shoot ... the noise in your images does work. A hard question to ask for your style of shooting.

If you were to upgrade from the 100DS ... for you it'd need to be the K20D ... going up to a K10D would not be beneficial enough if that was the case.
11-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Are you still staying with Pentax? I sincerely hope you do.
I think you would take great photos with a Milo tin and a pin hole though.

Have you also thought about lenses? - Looking at your style (of which I am a huge fan) you might want to ask what lenses might give your creativity another outlet. Personally I'd like to see your view of the world with a Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye.

But if your heart is set on a new Camera I really believe the K20D is something special and produces IQ that is simply stunning - particularly when paired with top quality glass.

Not to Hijack your thread but I am in the same dilemma, I finally have the funds available for a K20D to replace my "still going strong *istDS" but now I am wondering whether to spring for a DA*50-135 instead (which costs the same as a K20D). So I will be interested in the answers you get.
11-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To answer a question with another question seem rather mute, however that is the case here. Is this a need to upgrade or a want to upgrade? You say you have been happy with your 100, so what makes you unhappy with it now. There numerous improvments in newer camera models (Pentax). I have an istDL a K100D and a K10D an use each one for different functions, so one would think I wouldnt "Need" another camera, however I "want" a K20D to go with the managari which I already own. So it is just a matter of time in my case and a decision I have to make myself.
For what it is worth, the K100D will never leave my possesion. I think if I had to part with one to get another it would not be the K100D. Ok my 2cents worth Keep the K100D until it stops working. And if you want hard enough, get at least the K20D.

jim

11-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe a new spin on things, but what the heck.

Have you considered "downgrading?"

What I mean to say is, you are considering a new or different camera, and perhaps, although you don't mention it, a second body.

The K100D-Super has, I believe, HSM support, therefore yoou already have newer lenses covered functionally.

Your body is a single thumbwheel design, therefore a K20, although I am sure it is a fine camera, will have different controls,

The K200 is a 10MP body of similar control layout to what you have, but aside from extra MP it does not really give you much different.

What about an *istDS??

The reason I mention this is it has the same sensor you're apparently happy with at present, and it has TTL flash. This means that you can use the in body flash metering on manual focus / manual apature lenses (note I stress metering not flash, the in body flash is only P-TTL, you would need an external flash).

I don't know if you have ventured into the legacy lens possibilities, but at some point you may, and only the *istD and DS have TTL capability.

The DS is also a similar camera in terms of controls to the K100D-Super.

Just a dumb question, but......
11-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I recently upgraded from a K100D Super to a new K20D ($1225 AUD) + 2nd-hand DA 16-45/F4 ($270 AUD). I'm impressed using the new camera with both my older manual lenses and the newer ones. To me the photos looked better straight away when compared using the same lens: DA 18-55/F3.5-5.6 II.

I suggest you team up with someone nearby who has a K20D and check it out for yourself.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 11-12-2008 at 05:40 PM.
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Since you don't mention what you wish to upgrade to, I'll assume that a K200D is also a possibility, along with the K20D. I recently had the chance to purchase a hardly-used K200D for $300 USD, and jumped on it to replace my K100D Super (which I still have). I am pleased with the upgrade.

I loved my K100D Super, but the K200D seems to be a step-up. Everything on the K200D, including autofocus, just seems faster. The shutter sound is quieter. And while I didn't need the 10MP over the 6MP of the K100D, I am pleased to have it, along with the better sensor from the K10D. All in all, imho, the K200D is a worthy upgrade from the K100D, with the K20D being an obvious upgrade from the K100D.

Bottom line, if the price is within a range you are comfortable with, I would not hesitate to move on to the K200D or K20D if I were you.

11-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have just upgraded from a K100DS to a K20, and I'm loving it.
11-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little different perspective is that if something is working for you and you are really happy with it, why switch?
11-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #10

I upgraded my K100DS to a K20D in September. I've been very happy with my decision.

The biggest things that I notice are:

1. Controls - it's so much easier to get to settings and change them quickly

2. ISO 1600 usability

3. Faster AF

3. MUCH better cropping ability

4. Faster in camera processing

On a sidenote, the two things I would definitely recommend if you get the K20D is the grip, and an OP/TECH strap. The grip makes the camera just feel better, it's hard to explain, and the strap makes it feel light on your neck, even with a heavy lens.

I hope this helps =)
11-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I am in the same dilemma, I finally have the funds available for a K20D to replace my "still going strong *istDS" but now I am wondering whether to spring for a DA*50-135 instead (which costs the same as a K20D). So I will be interested in the answers you get.
One important difference here is that upgrading from DS to any current model gives you SR, which is pretty significant, and might in itself be reason to spend your money that way rather than on a lens. For folks with a K100D, it's tougher to make call between body upgrade versus new lens.
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alfdog Quote
On a sidenote, the two things I would definitely recommend if you get the K20D is the grip, and an OP/TECH strap. The grip makes the camera just feel better, it's hard to explain, and the strap makes it feel light on your neck, even with a heavy lens.
Which strap did you get alfdog? They appear to have a few models.

I upgraded from the K100Ds to the K20D. It was very worthwhile to me because I shoot a lot of wildlife and therefore crop hard regularly. The buttons instead of menus allow me to get set quicker. Especially useful are the metering switch, focus switch and Sv mode. And of course the higher fps rate.

I see limited artistic merit to the camera upgrade. The extra pixels and faster handling only add to art or esthetic photography if you're printiing larger than 8x10.
11-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
For folks with a K100D, it's tougher to make call between body upgrade versus new lens.
That's the situation I'm in.
11-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have just recently upgraded my K100DS to a K20, but my primary intention was actually a lens upgrade. I got offered a stunning deal on a K20 purchased with the lens, and decided what the hell, I'd just go for it.

I'm totally thrilled with the K20, absolutely no regrets there... however...originally I'd planned to sell my K100, but I'm actually considering keeping it now, as a partner for my DA 40mm pancake...
11-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
One important difference here is that upgrading from DS to any current model gives you SR, which is pretty significant, and might in itself be reason to spend your money that way rather than on a lens. For folks with a K100D, it's tougher to make call between body upgrade versus new lens.
I would have to agree, from an *istDS to either K200D or K20D is a significant gain, not only in terms of shake reduction but also HSM motors.

BUT, I would keep the *istDS for the reason I initially suggested the OP consider "downgrading" from the K100DS to an *istDS as an addition of a second body. TTL flash capability.

When I upgraded from *istD to K10D, I kept the *istD just because of that reason. I do a lot with my 300 F4 and a flash!

I'm really stuck at a cross roads, do I go from *istD and K10D to add the K20, or wait for the K30