Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #1

light meter in k10d and k20d

the light meter in the k20d is the same of k10d?

same exposure?

11-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #2

Original Poster
no people have info about this?
11-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to check this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24491-k20d-teleconverters.html
11-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
sorry, what i must read?

it is a loooong thread

11-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by platinum Quote
the light meter in the k20d is the same of k10d?

same exposure?
All Pentax DSLR's have essentially the same exposure system, although there always reports of one being more or less consistent than another. but they do basically the same things - multi-segment exposure system, a center-weighted mode, and a spot metering mode, all of which work according to standard photographic principles (aiming for results little dark than an 18% gray card on average).
11-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's the same but it works better
11-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
very thanks :-)

11-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
All Pentax DSLR's have essentially the same exposure system, although there always reports of one being more or less consistent than another. but they do basically the same things - multi-segment exposure system, a center-weighted mode, and a spot metering mode, all of which work according to standard photographic principles (aiming for results little dark than an 18% gray card on average).
Marc

I would agree, but I guess the real question is, does the K20D behave the same as the K10D with manual apature lenses.

I know, from the thread I attached, there is some concern over metering if the camera does not know the actual maximum apature of the lens.

In the K10D it is quite specific in behavior, and seems to be related to the actual focusing screen installed, as replacing the K10D screen with that of an *istD corrected the manual apature metering problem, but then introduced an error based only on maximum lens apature. This same error exists when putting a TC on the camera that does not change the apature settings, but only passes them through.

It has been reported that the K20D has the same focusing screen as the K10D, therefore one could suppose it would share the same problem with manual apature lenses, but that is only supposition on my part, as I don't have a K20D.

Fortunately for most people, they use newer lenses, and with lenses that report the maximum apature to the body, the K10D (and by inference the K20D) meter very well. The only problems I have encountered are not with the camera, but that some lenses seem to have a slightly increasing error in apature (not stopping down quite enough) at small apatures leading to a drift from correct exposure to + 1/2 stop. But in all cases where I have seen this, I can definitely track it down to the lens
11-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would agree, but I guess the real question is, does the K20D behave the same as the K10D with manual apature lenses.
True, that's a good question, although it isn't clear if that's what the OP was asking about. I have neither a K10D nor K20D to test for myself, and I've seen only anecdotal evidence as to whether the K20D has the same (focus-screen-related or not) issues that have been commonly reported regarding using the K10D with manual exposure lenses.

The only thing I can state definitely here is that the K200D does not appear to suffer this problem at all, as I've actually tested for it on mine. And while I haven't specifically tested it with the DS or K100D, I've used those with manual lenses enough to be pretty confident they don't have any such problems, either.
11-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True, that's a good question, although it isn't clear if that's what the OP was asking about. I have neither a K10D nor K20D to test for myself,

Marc, not intended for you but a general comment.

If someone will buy me a K20D I will gladly compare it to my K10D