Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
But I wonder if this was problem with your copy of this camera, and applies to all lenses equally, or if now having been adjusted will be off with other lenses. I liked the K200D better than the K100D, which I had used for several years and liked with no hitch regarding the AF, but it was the K20D flagship model I believe that first offered custom AF adjusting for separate lenses.
I am pretty confident that the focusing issue is on the camera side. Indeed, on my K5 and Kp bodies, I never noted FF/BF issues with the three lenses I tried (Tamrom 18-50mm f/2.8, SMC Pentax-F 28mm f/2.8 and SMC Pentax-DA 50mm f/1.8). Before the adjustment, all three lenses suffered of BF with the K100D Super. After the adjustment (performed with the 28mm), the problem seems to be fixed (I tested the 28mm and 50mm with success, I did not make the test yet with the Tamron).

I hope to get a K200D soon. As far as I have read, the same procedure as the K100D Super applies to enter debug mode.

François

01-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #32

I have a K100D Super, it was my first DSLR. You can import directly from the SD card as suggested. The camera has been around for quite awhile so it will be supported in any program whether in JPEG or RAW format. You can use Apple Photos or a number of other programs of which there are a number to choose from and you don’t have to spend a lot.

I can’t remember using the CD that came with my camera so I don’t think that should be an issue.
01-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dvoth Quote
I have a K100D Super, it was my first DSLR. You can import directly from the SD card as suggested. The camera has been around for quite awhile so it will be supported in any program whether in JPEG or RAW format. You can use Apple Photos or a number of other programs of which there are a number to choose from and you don’t have to spend a lot.

I can’t remember using the CD that came with my camera so I don’t think that should be an issue.
Small correction: DXO doesn’t support the k100d series RAW files. I have a k100d and k100d super myself and wish it was supported by DXO.
01-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #34

I wasn't aware of that. With the camera being around for along time and that Apple provides it's RAW profiles at the system level, making them available to other companies its surprising.

01-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dvoth Quote
I wasn't aware of that. With the camera being around for along time and that Apple provides it's RAW profiles at the system level, making them available to other companies its surprising.
DXO is an odd duck. They only proves raw files for sensors they have profiles for and they custom make these. The k100d series also only produces *.PEF format RAW files. I’m not sure why they never took up this camera but the age and popularity may have played into it.
01-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fvanzeveren Quote

I hope to get a K200D soon. As far as I have read, the same procedure as the K100D Super applies to enter debug mode.

François
I once owned a K100, and even now still own (although I don't know exactly why - could be the roughly $20 value) a K200. Having said that I'd strongly suggest not acquiring yet another body from that same era. It's limiting enough for me to still be stubbornly using K-5 bodies and not be able to use any recently-developed KAF4 lenses. In the 6mp K100 era I might have had AF problems but it wasn't enough to notice given the sensor resolution and lenses I had. The Tamron 17-50 was my introduction to AF problems on the K200 (the K100 was gone by then.) It needed a different adjustment than other lenses. It also needs different adjustments at different focal lengths, and I assume all future Pentax bodies will have that capability.
01-12-2021, 02:38 AM   #37

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I once owned a K100, and even now still own (although I don't know exactly why - could be the roughly $20 value) a K200. Having said that I'd strongly suggest not acquiring yet another body from that same era. It's limiting enough for me to still be stubbornly using K-5 bodies and not be able to use any recently-developed KAF4 lenses. In the 6mp K100 era I might have had AF problems but it wasn't enough to notice given the sensor resolution and lenses I had. The Tamron 17-50 was my introduction to AF problems on the K200 (the K100 was gone by then.) It needed a different adjustment than other lenses. It also needs different adjustments at different focal lengths, and I assume all future Pentax bodies will have that capability.
Hello... unfortunately, your advice came too late. Or should I say fortunately? Indeed, my "new" K200d arrived last friday and I went for a walk with it this WE. All I can say is that mounted with a Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm, it produces gorgeous images. I have absolutely no regret. When using my DA* 55mm f/1.4, I noted a very slight back focus I could easily correct with the DEBUG mode (+40 um). This back-focus was also perceptible in close photography at 135mm, but the same +40um in-body correction fixed it. I am maybe lucky, but it seems that the few lenses I own are well calibrated and that the in-body correction on my K100D and my K200D applies equally to all of them.
What I like about these two bodies are
- ease of use: I like the capture modes directly accessible with the mode dial very much. I use it most of the time.

- fewer pixels means faster post-processing and less space consumed on hard drive or cloud... therefore a smaller ecological footprint. It is true that 6 megapixels is short in some circumstances (like printing larger than A4), but even today, 10 megapixels is enough for the most of us.
- the image quality with the lenses I own.

So, yes, I would recommand it to anybody starting photography, with the WR combo 18-55mm and 50-200mm for around 120 euros.

François

01-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Hello... unfortunately, your advice came too late. Or should I say fortunately? Indeed, my "new" K200d arrived last friday and I went for a walk with it this WE. All I can say is that mounted with a Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm, it produces gorgeous images. I have absolutely no regret. When using my DA* 55mm f/1.4, I noted a very slight back focus I could easily correct with the DEBUG mode (+40 um). This back-focus was also perceptible in close photography at 135mm, but the same +40um in-body correction fixed it. I am maybe lucky, but it seems that the few lenses I own are well calibrated and that the in-body correction on my K100D and my K200D applies equally to all of them.
- ease of use: I like the capture modes directly accessible with the mode dial very much. I use it most of the time.

- fewer pixels means faster post-processing and less space consumed on hard drive or cloud... therefore a smaller ecological footprint. It is true that 6 megapixels is short in some circumstances (like printing larger than A4), but even today, 10 megapixels is enough for the most of us.

So, yes, I would recommand it to anybody starting photography, with the WR combo 18-55mm and 50-200mm for around 120 euros.

François
Roughly $150 US is certainly a reasonable price for an excellent-condition K200 and those two WR lenses. I was pleased with my K100 and K200 when I acquired them, too. But I still wouldn't recommend the K200 or earlier for someone starting out. Although it meets my current needs, I even have to qualify recommending the K-5, by far the biggest limitation being lack of compatibility with KAF4 lenses. Sometimes buying less expensive equipment ends up being much more expensive in the long run as you incrementally upgrade to what you eventually want, although if someone is truly just trying to experiment to see if they're interested in the kinds of photography the K100/200 or K5 can do reasonably well, then I agree there are much worse ways to start out.
01-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #39
Pentaxian

François
Congratulations.

I have to say that having had a few Pentax DSLR cameras, the K200D sensor gives me the images that I'm most excited about. I'm not exaggerating, the files I get from it are gorgeous (even more so than the K10D, and I suspect it has to do with the older K10D 22-bit processor and/or the AA filter, as the sensor is supposed to be identical).
I've also had the K-r, K-50, K-S1 and now a K-3... but my K200D isn't going anywhere.
01-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Congratulations.

I have to say that having had a few Pentax DSLR cameras, the K200D sensor gives me the images that I'm most excited about. I'm not exaggerating, the files I get from it are gorgeous (even more so than the K10D, and I suspect it has to do with the older K10D 22-bit processor and/or the AA filter, as the sensor is supposed to be identical).
I've also had the K-r, K-50, K-S1 and now a K-3... but my K200D isn't going anywhere.
That’s odd. The two cameras have the same 12-bit raw files, the same Prime processor, and the same Safox VIII autofocus. The k200D does add 3 levels of high iso noise reduction and a more powerful flash. Otherwise the k10d should exceed it in all ways. I have never used with one so I can only wonder what’s making the k200d shine so much.
01-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s odd. The two cameras have the same 12-bit raw files, the same Prime processor, and the same Safox VIII autofocus. The k200D does add 3 levels of high iso noise reduction and a more powerful flash. Otherwise the k10d should exceed it in all ways. I have never used with one so I can only wonder what’s making the k200d shine so much.
It's not a huge difference. It's quite subtle but once you notice that the K10D files look slightly more "flat" you start noticing it most of the time... And of course it's subjective... but I've heard it from others as well.

It could be a different version of the 10mp CCD sensor, just like there's different versions of the 16 and 24mp CMOS sensors...

...or it could just be in my head
01-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It's not a huge difference. It's quite subtle but once you notice that the K10D files look slightly more "flat" you start noticing it most of the time... And of course it's subjective... but I've heard it from others as well.

It could be a different version of the 10mp CCD sensor, just like there's different versions of the 16 and 24mp CMOS sensors...

...or it could just be in my head
Raw or jpg? If jpg it is possible they tweaked the rendering.
01-15-2021, 06:29 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Raw or jpg? If jpg it is possible they tweaked the rendering.
Raw.... with these older cameras I find it's not worth shooting jpeg...