Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Pentax K100D Super

Hello All,

I am new here. So I have a K100D Super that I inherited from my now deceased father. I don't have any software for it and I wanted to find a site where I can download the firmware for it for an Apple MacBook Air. I have gogled it but Ricoh download won't work. This is my first experiece with a DLSR. I love the camera because it was my father's. I also have an old Pentax K1000 which is mine and a Pentax MX which was also Dad's. But I have moved to the world of digital with the K100D Super.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks much.

Victor

11-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi I don't have the answer, but wanted to welcome you.

There are a lot of threads and fellow 6mp camera users. Hope to see you're pics soon.

I'm new to dslr and have a k100d
11-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/20060808e.html
11-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Vic

The K100D super does not have any firmware updates ... its factory updated so no need for more ...... so less hassle

Yes I own and use one

Dave

11-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I presume want something to view and edit etc your images. There's lots of opensource (free) software. You could start with this:
210 Software Photo Editing Tools - PentaxForums.com
RawTherapee - Downloads
8 Best Free HDR Software to Use in 2020 | HDR Photography
Luminance HDR download | SourceForge.net
etc
11-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcone to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

here is a link to the " owners review "

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The PENTAX K100D Super added support for lenses with built-in autofocus motor (SDM lenses). Other than that the camera is identical to the K100D.

Camera Manuals

Operating Manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k100d-sp.pdf

Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 3, Pentax Photo Laboratory 3)
Read more at: Pentax K100D Super - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxVic Quote
Hello All,

I am new here. So I have a K100D Super that I inherited from my now deceased father. I don't have any software for it and I wanted to find a site where I can download the firmware for it for an Apple MacBook Air. I have gogled it but Ricoh download won't work. This is my first experiece with a DLSR. I love the camera because it was my father's. I also have an old Pentax K1000 which is mine and a Pentax MX which was also Dad's. But I have moved to the world of digital with the K100D Super.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks much.

Victor
Welcome.

Apple Photos is a good starting point to organize your images from your camera, and some find it all they need. It is also a good place to start for your first JPEG and RAW editor to get your feet wet. Images could be transferred with a usb cable, or usb card reader.

Have a look over the site, and if you have any questions about the camera or photography in general, ask away. There are many very helpful folks here.

11-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. I would also suggest using apple photos to start
11-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try reading this thread:

K100d software - PentaxForums.com

Bear in mind that the k100d and k100d super I think both used the same processing software from Pentax. Firmware is a different story.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-29-2020 at 08:00 PM.
11-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another free, open source software title to consider is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) GIMP - Downloads. It is somewhat equivalent to Photoshop but perhaps not quite as user friendly. You can do a lot with it and there are plenty of good tutorials online.
11-30-2020, 12:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd recommend Faststone image viewer:

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

A joy to use, plus can handle Raw files as well as jpegs (though N.B. this needs to be set accordingly!).
11-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks, All.

I am new to this. So, it was my father's camera but he passed away so I am taking it and going to use it in his honor. I have a MacBook Air but don't have any software to be able to connect the camera to Apple to download pics? I don't have the CD that came with the camera (if there was one) so I am trying to figure out how to use the MacBook with the Pentax. My old Pentax Optio50 had a CD. Am I completely off base??

This is my first DSLR. I had owned the Pentax K1000 and my father had an old MX before I bought this K100D Super for him.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
11-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, All.

I am new to this. So, it was my father's camera but he passed away so I am taking it and going to use it in his honor. I have a MacBook Air but don't have any software to be able to connect the camera to Apple to download pics? I don't have the CD that came with the camera (if there was one) so I am trying to figure out how to use the MacBook with the Pentax. My old Pentax Optio50 had a CD. Am I completely off base??

This is my first DSLR. I had owned the Pentax K1000 and my father had an old MX before I bought this K100D Super for him.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
I have a MacBook Air but don't have any software to be able to connect the camera to Apple to download pics?
You have all the software you need to get started right now. You may need the correct USB cable, or a USB reader to put the card from the camera into before transferring.

Apple Photos will bring the images into your MacBook Air, allow you to catalog and save them, and allow you to do some editing.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/photos/pht6c803201/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202037

You don't mention which vintage of MacBook Air you have. Newer versions have a different USB connector than older versions.

The camera manual will give you the correct description for a USB cable to transfer files. If you prefer the card reader route, there are many options. I have had good success with a Kingston MobileLite G4.

This discussion may be best transferred to another forum.

Last edited by YeOldePentaxian; 11-30-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added Apple reference links
12-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, All.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
Read my post again. It links to another thread where they explained how to get the software downloaded and installed. If you have questions about that process chime in.
12-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, All.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
First thing- get a card reader for your SD cards. They are inexpensive. Then you can just stick the card into the reader, and connect it to your computer to download images. The computer will indicate that it has recognized the plug-in. Then, depending on your computer's usage method, you can create a new folder and name it, and when you plug in and download, the computer should ask for a destination, so you can designate the new folder. This is a better method than trying to download by plugging the camera into your computer. When you are done with the download, you must click on the computer's plug-in recognition icon (or double click or left-click- I have to be doing it to recall) to bring up a disconnect to click on for you to exit the plug-in before physically removing it.

Once you get the hang of it, you will find how much easier and far less hassle, as well as being more user-manipulative compared to film.

As to software for editing and changing aspects of your photos, there are many, including Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is their simplest, non-professional series.

Welcome to the forum, and much sympathy for the loss of your father. It is certain he would very much like for you to enjoy digital photography, and knew you would always think of him.

No doubt there will be many more questions that will arise, and we'll be here for you.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-01-2020 at 02:12 PM.