Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
For example, last year I covered a wedding where the pastor insisted on NO still photography during the ceremony because of the flash and camera noise. When I told him I could shoot without flash during the ceremony (like I usually do) he insisted that the cameras themselves still make too much noise. I was only permitted to photograph the ceremony up until the bride finished her walk down the aisle and resume once they were pronounced "husband and wife."
I find myself fairly often wanting to take photos at times when the noise would be rudely intrusive. I personally rather like the shutter noise of the digital SLR, but that's a personal thing; as a practical matter, the sound is not a plus. But here's where you really have to put into practice the idea that it's the photographer that matters, not the camera. High-end fixed-lens cameras like the Canon PowerShot S3 IS and the Canon PowerShot G7 are capable of taking GREAT photos - and you can turn the sounds off completely.

Will

03-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's like taking a photo with my video camera - no noise whatsoever. I always think, "Is that it? Did it take one?" It's just not right.
03-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
you cannot have live view unless you expose the sensor, since the mirror is blocking the sensor to begin with.
Pellical(Pellicle?) Mirror.
03-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #19
Inactive Account

One day we will probably have 10MP or higher video cameras then there will be no need for DSLR .

Perhaps I am just Old School, but I think if you want live view go get a P&S and for those complaining about having to do contortions and headstands to get some macro, architectural etc shots - Taking the shot with an SLR style camera is half the fun.

03-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #20

Why go to all the bother of trying to make an SLR quiet? The perfect solution was developed many years ago - the Leica rangefinder with fast lenses. Many of the pros out there will agree that for this particular task, requiring a very quiet camera with excellent available-light ability, the 35mm rangefinder remains unsurpassed. The perfect complement to a good Pentax dSLR!

And if "live-view" means going to an electronic viewfinder (EVF), rather than the excellent optical viewfinder found in the likes of the K10D (and my old MX), than I will happily pass. EVF does not work well for my eyes.
03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #21
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
That would be a really good way to push me to another brand. LCD Live views are for P&S cameras not first class DSLRs.
No, No, No, Live view is for first class DSLRS and I hope Pentax has this feature on there next DSLR.

I played with it at PMA and the ease of getting those hard to reach shots ---- ya know the ones when you are on a ladder shooting a product that is placed in a unique position so you can get the angle you want ..... and you have a hard time viewing it without crashing into the product table and breaking your neck, those are the things live view is for, a much needed pro feature. That and tethering (did I say tethering) ;-)

No, it is not for taking pictures of your family with the camera at arms length !!!!

wll
03-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
Forum Member

I agree with wll's point that some shots are nearly impossible to take if you must have your face pressed up against the viewfinder. I would never sacrifice the optical dslr view finder for one that was purely evf however I would love to have both capabilities in the same camera. My wife has a very nice P&S (Olympus c5050z). The LCD panel on that camera can swing upwards and downwards from the body so that you can hold the camera above your head and still see what you are doing. Actually I use it mostly for very *low* angle shots where I hold the camera near the ground and shoot upwards toward my subject. Either of these situations are impossible with a standard dslr view finder. Even an angled viewfinder accessory requires that your face be very near the camera.

An Example low angle shot is below. I could not have done this with my dslr:

03-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #23

In the meantime there is still the old fashioned 'right-angle' viewfinder adapter which Pentax made some years ago. Rather like a mini periscope that clips onto the eyepiece. It's saved me crawling around on my belly on many occasions.
03-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
In the meantime there is still the old fashioned 'right-angle' viewfinder adapter which Pentax made some years ago. Rather like a mini periscope that clips onto the eyepiece. It's saved me crawling around on my belly on many occasions.
Yes, but with the angled finder you still can't hold the camera way over your head to shoot over a crowd of people (e.g. at a parade)
03-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #25

I had a Contax with a removable prism years ago. It was great for those "hail mary" shots that you do in crowds. My Nikon F also had a removable prism.

Perhaps Pentax could revive the interchangeable viewfinder?
03-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey anjweb, aren't those shadows all wrong for that sun position in your photo?

I don't see why a live view on the rear LCD could be construed as a bad thing - just another weapon in our arsenal. Tilting and swivelling would be a bonus.
03-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

I don't see why a live view on the rear LCD could be construed as a bad thing - just another weapon in our arsenal. Tilting and swivelling would be a bonus.
I was going to ask the same thing...beaten to it
03-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Very observant...! It's not the sun. It is artificial lens flare added via PS ( filter | render | lens flare). This photo was taken at a hot rod show and needed extensive editting due to stickers and paper on the vehicle as well as people, poles, and wires around it. The composition seemed a bit unbalanced so rather then cropping it even tighter I tried the lens flare and liked the result.