Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
Forum Member
gorfmai's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51
Greetings from PMA!

We'll see what is at the Pentax booth in a few hours... can tell you that Pentax splurged for a giant duratrans - sized banner on the front of the Renessance hotel... saw it from the monorail...

Monorail....monorail....monorail!!!

03-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
QuoteOriginally posted by gorfmai Quote
a giant duratrans - sized banner
What is that?
03-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Forum Member
gorfmai's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51
Original Poster
Sorry, I phrased it badly... was typing at 11 pm PT...

It is a large multi - panel sign that each panel gets adhered to the window via static or via a temporary adhesive to that they form one giant sign... the panels are translucent enough so that you can strill see out the windows that they cover...

I'll try to get a shot of it.
03-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member
vievetrick's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easthampton - Massachusetts - USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,175
so anything interesting besides the signs?

03-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 419
I just hope Pentax gets around to releasing an LCD "live-view" DSLR that doesn't use a mirror box/traditional viewfinder. Pentax had an old prototype on display at Photokina last year and it got a LOT of attention.

With more live-view DSLRs like the Olympus E-410 and E-510 coming out I can only assume that Pentax is planning to give us a live-view DSLR "sometime" in the future. I just home it's "sometime" soon.
03-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Ed in GA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I just hope Pentax gets around to releasing an LCD "live-view" DSLR that doesn't use a mirror box/traditional viewfinder. .

That would be a really good way to push me to another brand. LCD Live views are for P&S cameras not first class DSLRs.
03-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach VA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,364
Don't be so quick Eddy. I used to think that way, but I've really gotten used to , and like the digital preview on my K10D. I could see certain situations where live preview on an articulating LCD would be quite handy.
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 419
QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
That would be a really good way to push me to another brand. LCD Live views are for P&S cameras not first class DSLRs.
There's a time and place for everything ... sometimes when you least expect it.

For example, last year I covered a wedding where the pastor insisted on NO still photography during the ceremony because of the flash and camera noise. When I told him I could shoot without flash during the ceremony (like I usually do) he insisted that the cameras themselves still make too much noise. I was only permitted to photograph the ceremony up until the bride finished her walk down the aisle and resume once they were pronounced "husband and wife."

The pastor also said that the videographer could cover the entire ceremony because the camera is silent.

Now, I've photographed a couple hundred weddings over the years and although I'm used to the "no flash photography" rule I've never had to deal with "no photography during the ceremony" before.

That is a perfect example of when a silent live-view camera is the ideal solution. LCD live view might not be "first class" but in some cases it might mean the difference between photographing a once-in-a-lifetime moment or missing a shot.

I would NOT replace my K10D bodies with a LCD live view DSLR ... but I would gladly add a live view DSLR to my kit if Pentax develops one.

03-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 322
If you can deal with a Fixed lens "slr-like" camera, the Sony R1 comes close....

It has an APS-C sensor and one kick butt lens. RAW is really really slow though.
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
If you can deal with a Fixed lens "slr-like" camera, the Sony R1 comes close....

It has an APS-C sensor and one kick butt lens. RAW is really really slow though.
That Sony R1 is one crazy camera. What was it, something like a 24-120/2.8-4.8 with a 10MP CMOS? Price was too high for me though.
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
the Canon Mark III has the live view (it will flip up the mirror and expose the sensor) It is a good idea, but, we're only seeing it now in Canon's new Flagship (yes, Oly has it w/ Emos, but their view finder is also electronic)
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
There's a time and place for everything ... sometimes when you least expect it.

For example, last year I covered a wedding where the pastor insisted on NO still photography during the ceremony because of the flash and camera noise. When I told him I could shoot without flash during the ceremony (like I usually do) he insisted that the cameras themselves still make too much noise. I was only permitted to photograph the ceremony up until the bride finished her walk down the aisle and resume once they were pronounced "husband and wife."

The pastor also said that the videographer could cover the entire ceremony because the camera is silent.

Now, I've photographed a couple hundred weddings over the years and although I'm used to the "no flash photography" rule I've never had to deal with "no photography during the ceremony" before.

That is a perfect example of when a silent live-view camera is the ideal solution. LCD live view might not be "first class" but in some cases it might mean the difference between photographing a once-in-a-lifetime moment or missing a shot.

I would NOT replace my K10D bodies with a LCD live view DSLR ... but I would gladly add a live view DSLR to my kit if Pentax develops one.

Unfortunately, the entire point is lost here. Live view in a DSLR would not be *silent*, as every shot you took would still have the usual mirror slap, which is the component that makes the most noise when photographing in the first place. Having a live-view in this situation does not remedy the problem that you're having.

As for the E-410 and E-510.. they have traditional mirror/SLR mechanics.
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
Unfortunately, the entire point is lost here. Live view in a DSLR would not be *silent*, as every shot you took would still have the usual mirror slap, which is the component that makes the most noise when photographing in the first place. Having a live-view in this situation does not remedy the problem that you're having.

As for the E-410 and E-510.. they have traditional mirror/SLR mechanics.

Canon's Live view already has the mirror up.........so...i can see his point....
you cannot have live view unless you expose the sensor, since the mirror is blocking the sensor to begin with.
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
Canon's Live view already has the mirror up.........so...i can see his point....
you cannot have live view unless you expose the sensor, since the mirror is blocking the sensor to begin with.
I was under the impression that the mirror drops back down when you take a shot?
However, if it stays up, you still have shutter noise, which can be significant enough in itself.

I guess if it *is* silent though, that'd work, you'd just have to convince the pastor/priest/father/whatever.

Live-view, in any instance, kind of makes me sad though. It's like.. lowest common denominator. Pandering to the lazy. Adding another something to break just for the 1 in 300 times it might be more convenient.

That's just my view though. I'm solidly on the, "if cameras begin to have them all the time, these last generations of cameras without them will be the last cameras I purchase."

Old fuddy-duddy I guess.
03-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
I was under the impression that the mirror drops back down when you take a shot?
However, if it stays up, you still have shutter noise, which can be significant enough in itself.

I guess if it *is* silent though, that'd work, you'd just have to convince the pastor/priest/father/whatever.

Live-view, in any instance, kind of makes me sad though. It's like.. lowest common denominator. Pandering to the lazy. Adding another something to break just for the 1 in 300 times it might be more convenient.

That's just my view though. I'm solidly on the, "if cameras begin to have them all the time, these last generations of cameras without them will be the last cameras I purchase."

Old fuddy-duddy I guess.

mark III was just announced so I dont know how that really works. you still have the curtain to think about.

and I agree with you with your thoughts on the Live view. I can see how it maybe useful in some applications...

in any case, it's still better to shoot old school, you can hold it steadier
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc 2011 PMA Sydney Ivor K Ecks Post Your Photos! 4 06-29-2011 09:54 PM
Something New coming at PMA Sydney? kyteflyer Pentax News and Rumors 34 06-25-2011 11:55 PM
Pentax at PMA 2010 techmulla Pentax News and Rumors 8 04-21-2010 07:02 PM
PENTAX absent from PMA 2010 opiszon Pentax News and Rumors 58 02-23-2010 09:02 PM
Something better than K-7 at PMA? drewx2 Pentax DSLR Discussion 25 02-10-2010 12:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top