Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
There are Chinese made m42 to K adapters without the flange. The come with a tool to install and remove because of the spring-lock they use is different than Pentax version. I have a few of these. They are a bit rough fitting compared to the beautifully machined Pentax originals and can get stuck. Best used by removing the little set screw and the spring it holds. You may then install the mount on a lens ( tightly) and bayonet it on and off like a K mount lens EXCEPT- the lens does not lock in place. Fine if the focus and aperture rings move easily, not good if the lens is a bit stiff! One other issue with the no-flange Chinese adapter- the fit in the camera mount always has a tiny bit of play. Forget precise macro using one.
Thanks for replying and pictures too. Certainly you confirmed my worst fears. Strange really, communists are usually good at stealing and copying, not sure why a small adapter should come out so shoddy! I did find a camera shop selling the Pentax adapter. I ordered before Christmas but I'm still awaiting delivery. It was a bit expensive if its gone missing! Still if it does turn up I'll feel more comfortable and confident in using that and the extra money won't mean anything.

12-27-2020, 07:13 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Thanks for replying and pictures too. Certainly you confirmed my worst fears. Strange really, communists are usually good at stealing and copying, not sure why a small adapter should come out so shoddy! I did find a camera shop selling the Pentax adapter. I ordered before Christmas but I'm still awaiting delivery. It was a bit expensive if its gone missing! Still if it does turn up I'll feel more comfortable and confident in using that and the extra money won't mean anything.
The Chinese adapters I pictured are indeed useable. They work best if you choose a single camera body to dedicate to m42 and lock the adapter in place (leave the spring on). I did find that the lock needed a piece of masking tape wadded an forced in behind the spring to take out rotational slop. I have since acquired two more genuine Pentax adapters (total of three now) so the Chinese ones have been retired to the bottom of my secondary camera bag. If you watch eBay, Mercari, Keh Camera and FB Marketplace, the Pentax adapters can be has for $20-$30 but you have to act as soon as you see one.
01-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
the Pentax adapters can be has for $20-$30 but you have to act as soon as you see one.
My snail post purchase finally arrived. I now have a genuine Pentax m42 adapter fitted to the KP. My only concern is that the contacts are exposed and could theoretically get damaged out in the field (tho exposed Im not sure how vulnerable or sensitive they are - probably dirt and grime pose the biggest threat).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-H850  Photo