Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 02:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Non Pentax glass

Hi
Having just acquired the KP I'm looking at some non Pentax prime lenses I have and wondering if they are suitable/adaptable.

Voightlander Colour Skopar 35mm - if I remember correctly this has a Leica screw mount thread. Obvious issue is that it's designed for a rangefinder and may be an issue. But if it could be fitted I don't see any adapters. I think I have an old Jupiter lens in the same thread mount too.

I also have a Tamron SP90 macro from about 1990. I always enjoyed that lens.

I have some Nikon glass but I'll probably not bother. I aim to have wide to mid tele & macro in Pentax prime glass and then the 55-300PLM as my only zoom.

Any thoughts on the Colour Skopar and Jupiter?

Cheers

12-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Leica TM has a much shorter focal flange than K-mount. So they would only focus at macro distances. Nikon has a slightly longer focal flang than K-mount. Non-ai F-mount lenses will fit in K-mount and focus slightly past infinity. There are optically corrected adapters, but the optics aren't good, and they are short tele-converters.
12-03-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
. . . I also have a Tamron SP90 macro from about 1990. I always enjoyed that lens. . . .
QuoteQuote:
Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro
Description:
This is an autofocus macro lens which provides life size magnification (1:1). It covers the 24x36mm full-frame image format. It has an aperture ring with an "A" setting which not only makes the lens compatible with older K-mount film bodies, but also allows for aperture control in connection with extension tubes and bellows. This lens doubles as a short telephoto lens.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-sp-af-90mm-f2-8-di-macro.html#ixzz6fYXx1sGK
QuoteQuote:
Tamron SP MF 90mm F2.8 MACRO 1:1 (72B)

Description:
This was the last edition of Tamron's 90mm adaptall macro. Revamped optics - 10/9 instead of 8/6 - plastic build, slightly slower at f2.8 but 1:1 macro without adapter/extension.

Aperture: f/2.8
Minimum Aperture: 32
Construction: 10 Elements-9 Groups
Angle of View: 27 degrees.
Minimum Focus: 0.29 m
Filter Size: 55 mm
Length: 101.5 mm
Weight: 426 grams
Macro Ratio: 1:1
Coating: Multi-coated
Focus System: Manual

Probably optically the same/similar to the auto focus versions 172E / 272E. Pentax mount versions normally have the suffix -P.
172E/272E reviews.
Mount Type: Third-party (adapter required)
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-sp-mf-90mm-f2-8-macro-1-1-72...#ixzz6fYYzTOnw

in the future, you can always look here for information on third-party lenses that work with Pentax cameras:

QuoteQuote:
Welcome to the Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database!
This database contains reviews and technical data on third-party lenses (made by Sigma, Tamron, etc.) designed for use with Pentax K-Mount DSLRs and film SLRs. In addition to being able to post lens reviews, users can also add new lenses to this database.

If you have photos of a lens that is currently missing a thumbnail, please contact us. We hope you enjoy the database!

Read more at: Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

there is also this excellent tool:
QuoteQuote:
Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera
Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens.
Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database

Read more at: Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-03-2020 at 03:41 AM.
12-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don’t find an adapter that’s most likely because it won’t work. But that Tamron is probably an Adaptall and would work.

12-03-2020, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Check out the Leitax website. They supply adapters that make it possible to use all sorts of lenses on Pentax bodies. Some disassembly of the lens is required. After the modification it is K-mount only but the modification can be undone. AFAIK the conversions are manual aperture only.

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
12-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you with us. I think you'll love the KP; I do.

I aim to have wide to mid tele & macro in Pentax prime glass
For Pentax prime glass, it's hard to beat the bang-for-the-buck you get with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 IMO, if you don't mind an all-manual lens.
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Here are a couple examples taken with it mounted on my KP:

Dogwood blossom taken with Pentax-M 50mm f1.7... - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
Each of these blossoms is about 1/4" to 3/8"... - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
12-03-2020, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

For more expensive premium lenses consider adapting them with Leitax adapters. Leitax adapters are very high quality and well worth the money. My favorite lenses to Leitax adapt are - Zeiss ZF, Leica R, and Contax Carl Zeiss C/Y.

For a less expensive route, go with M42 lenses. There are lots of great M42 Takumar lenses ( see - Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ).

Also, there are a few excellent Tamron "Adaptall" lenses ( see - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database ). I've owned many of them and my 2 favorites are the 90mm f/2.5 macro and the 180m f/2.5 (35th Aniversary).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-03-2020 at 11:49 AM.
12-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I aim to have wide to mid tele & macro in Pentax prime glass. . .
for Pentax macro, I recommend looking at the 100mm F.28 Macro " family ": F, FA, D FA ( no WR ) and D FA WR
all are " full frame " sensor lenses and can be used on ASP-C sensors as well

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Specifications
The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

nice short telephoto

plenty of " working room " for macro
12-03-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also have a Tamron SP90 macro from about 1990. I always enjoyed that lens.
Has always been a highly-regarded lens, and should be terrific on your KP.

I have the "F" 50mm f/1.7 which I bought new way back around 1990 with my first AF Pentax SLR body, although I also kept using my MF ME Super also. I believe this AF 50mm lens has the same optical formula as the "M" version, but you would also get various features you camera has which do not work with "M" type lenses, including full metering options. Performance is already very good even wide open. A good lens for portraiture, hand-held low light, and action shots.

The Pentax Limited series of primes are wonderful lenses, and especially well-suited with the KP.
12-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you with us. I think you'll love the KP; I do.

For Pentax prime glass, it's hard to beat the bang-for-the-buck you get with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 IMO, if you don't mind an all-manual lens.
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Here are a couple examples taken with it mounted on my KP:

Dogwood blossom taken with Pentax-M 50mm f1.7... - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
Each of these blossoms is about 1/4" to 3/8"... - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
Love that dogwood blossom. Nice work. That's one of my things 'botanical' & plant matter. I flip from that sort of thing to street work. I'm all in with manual focus primes. at least when I'm being deliberate. spot metre. Manual mode. I love to play with speedlights too. anyway great pictures and that lens is ridiculously cheap, I think I'll get one just for fun. It's funny when I first got into photography which was long ago I dreamed of having all this glass. then many years later I hated having all that glass and really ever since I've usually committed to one lens or one camera and that'll be it - at least for the day. no lens changing in the field, if I carry any extra gear it's lights.

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Check out the Leitax website. They supply adapters that make it possible to use all sorts of lenses on Pentax bodies. Some disassembly of the lens is required. After the modification it is K-mount only but the modification can be undone. AFAIK the conversions are manual aperture only.

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
That sounds like fun except most lenses I've tampered with never worked as they should ever again!

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 02:36 PM ----------

Some great replies (and ideas) here - thanks everyone. Real excited to be properly in the Pentax system now.
12-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
for Pentax macro, I recommend looking at the 100mm F.28 Macro " family "
I'll second that. My Pentax-F 100mm f/2.8 Macro is the sharpest lens I own.
Robin egg 800x1200 - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
12-08-2020, 06:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That sounds like fun except most lenses I've tampered with never worked as they should ever again!
You can send the lens to Leitax and have them do the work.
12-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
You can send the lens to Leitax and have them do the work.
Thanks for pointing that out. Not a service I'll go to right now but good to know.
12-12-2020, 04:31 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
For a less expensive route, go with M42 lenses. There are lots of great M42 Takumar lenses ( see - Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ).

I've spent some time looking into the vast field of M42 lenses - not just the Takumars. I've settled my head on one or two relatively cheap soap bubble bokeh lenses and some other lenses which may be worth a punt for some diy modifying for potentially interesting results. All that aside I managed to unsettle myself looking into the M42 adapters. It appears non Pentax versions have some sort of flange that can limit the infinity focus but more concerning can damage the K mount or get stuck on the body. Well then, just get a Pentax adapter! But then they aren't as readily available and it appears it's not always obvious which are the genuine adapters and which are the after market versions.

Anyway - question for those using M42 adapters and vintage lenses. Any advise or warnings? Things to be aware of etc? What's your experience overall? I did think of just fitting each M42 lens with its own 3rd party adapter tho I don't know how practical that is?
12-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've spent some time looking into the vast field of M42 lenses - not just the Takumars. I've settled my head on one or two relatively cheap soap bubble bokeh lenses and some other lenses which may be worth a punt for some diy modifying for potentially interesting results. All that aside I managed to unsettle myself looking into the M42 adapters. It appears non Pentax versions have some sort of flange that can limit the infinity focus but more concerning can damage the K mount or get stuck on the body. Well then, just get a Pentax adapter! But then they aren't as readily available and it appears it's not always obvious which are the genuine adapters and which are the after market versions.

Anyway - question for those using M42 adapters and vintage lenses. Any advise or warnings? Things to be aware of etc? What's your experience overall? I did think of just fitting each M42 lens with its own 3rd party adapter tho I don't know how practical that is?
There are Chinese made m42 to K adapters without the flange. The come with a tool to install and remove because of the spring-lock they use is different than Pentax version. I have a few of these. They are a bit rough fitting compared to the beautifully machined Pentax originals and can get stuck. Best used by removing the little set screw and the spring it holds. You may then install the mount on a lens ( tightly) and bayonet it on and off like a K mount lens EXCEPT- the lens does not lock in place. Fine if the focus and aperture rings move easily, not good if the lens is a bit stiff! One other issue with the no-flange Chinese adapter- the fit in the camera mount always has a tiny bit of play. Forget precise macro using one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (7th generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by steamloco76; 12-26-2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: photos added