Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Personally, I find the 100 macro to be a little long for flowers - I quite like "getting inside" the flower a bit more. To that end, either the DA 35 Macro Limited for one of your crop cameras, or the DFA 50 Macro for the K-1, would be a useful addition.

Do you have a ring flash? It can be very useful when you're very close to your subject.

I have an old 50mm manual macro...time to put it on my k1 for a week or so....

The sigma ring light I have hasn’t impressed me...any suggestions are welcome....

12-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
The sigma ring light I have hasn’t impressed me...any suggestions are welcome....
The Pentax is excellent.
12-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would buy an expresso machine for the car.... it has enhanced my photography experience.... even vegans enjoy a good coffee when out shooting with a friend.

And.... I would (ahh...am) holding out for the 60mp K1'iii.... only 1,800 more coffees away I think.

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.
12-04-2020, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My 31 is not going anywhere right now. I did enjoy it immensely when I used a k1 for a month.

While you indicate plenty of lighting gear, these are cute and might be useful: ? LightPix Labs

As for the DA 55-300 Plm, I’ve never used it, but my impression is that it’s not even close to full frame. I’d suggest much more study before heading in that direction.

You’re correct, it isn’t full frame..but on the rare occasion i might need the reach it would give it to me....

Over all I hear it’s a decent lens which I can use on the k70...

12-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You’re correct, it isn’t full frame..but on the rare occasion i might need the reach it would give it to me....

That’s what I hear also.
12-05-2020, 03:38 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for use on an ASP-C sensor body, it is a good lens, but not a great lens

to get a better lens, you probably need to accept the size, weight and price of the D FA 150-450mm which is designed for both ASP-C and full frame sensors

QuoteQuote:
Conclusion
. . . There simply isn't a better non-pro telephoto zoom option in the Pentax lineup, and no third-party lens rivals its abilities or price.. . . Who is it For
The HD DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE is an attractive lens for a wide swath of Pentax shooters, from beginners who want a high-quality telephoto zoom to pair with their 18-55mm or 18-50mm kit lens, to advanced users who want a durable, relatively low-cost, low-weight lens for longer outings in the field. We could see this lens being part of a great two-lens kit on a backpacking trip, for instance, paired with the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 or a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

The Bottom Line
The redesigned HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.5–6.3 ED PLM WR RE is a home run of a lens. Its upgraded build and autofocus system, reduced size and weight, excellent all-around image quality, and affordable price should make it a no-brainer for many Pentax users. Yes, it's better than the old 55-300mm F4-5.8, and we recommend it for any prospective user who owns a recent Pentax bodies.. . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I used it as a backup/lightweight option on my second trip to Tanzania ( and was very glad I had brought it when my DFA 150-450mm separated into two pieces while on the trip )

but it is definitely my backup lens, not my primary one

YMMV - different strokes for different folks
12-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I had no idea, and I have that lens. I always assumed it couldn't be used with the K1. Thanks!!
It vignettes a bit, but gives a pretty usable image in a pinch. It can be corrected in post processing. Heck, my D FA 28-105 vignettes too and that is supposed to be a full frame lens.

12-05-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
even vegans enjoy a good coffee
I've never met a vegan who seemed to enjoy much of anything
12-05-2020, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

The DA 55-300 PLM might be my answer to NOT getting the 150-450mm. I think i can justify spending that much on a walk about lens that gives me the reach I've been wanting to test out.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As for the DA 55-300 Plm, I’ve never used it, but my impression is that it’s not even close to full frame.
In square 1:1 its FF at 24mp or crop 16mp. In normal FF theres lots of vignette.
12-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I'd say get the camera repaired first, if you can. Now, I don't know what your opinion of Sigma is, but since you like macro, you could look into trying to get a copy of the 180mm f3.5. It's an incredible lens and would go very well with your kit.

I personally just partially satiated my GAS very recently but unfortunately I need to wait 1 to 3 more weeks for the lens to come so I too need to find something else to tide me over in the meantime.
12-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
For flowers, the 100mm macro is great.

I'd spend money on courses/books on composition and inspiration. Way more important than new gear, and it's a slower / harder burn.
Couldn’t agree more.
12-05-2020, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I've never met a vegan who seemed to enjoy much of anything
Protesting?
12-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'd say get the camera repaired first, if you can. Now, I don't know what your opinion of Sigma is, but since you like macro, you could look into trying to get a copy of the 180mm f3.5. It's an incredible lens and would go very well with your kit.

I personally just partially satiated my GAS very recently but unfortunately I need to wait 1 to 3 more weeks for the lens to come so I too need to find something else to tide me over in the meantime.
I won't put any more money into this K1Mkii. I'll live with the quirkiness until I replace it with another K1MKII or something newer.

In the meantime I picked up a FA 50 Macro from another member here. Waiting for it to patiently get here.
12-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't put any more money into this K1Mkii. I'll live with the quirkiness until I replace it with another K1MKII or something newer.

In the meantime I picked up a FA 50 Macro from another member here. Waiting for it to patiently get here.
You said quirky... what’s it doing weird?
12-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Hey folks,
My birthday is coming up and god willing I will have survived the 2020 Pandemic!

So I think its time for me to consider my 2021 birthday present.

A bit of background, I shoot mainly floral macros with some random stuff. I rarely shot any people shots and I'm not great at doing landscape composition. So that's what I do.

1. I have the 100MM Macro but was considering one of the new macro lens that are recent to the market.
2. My K1Mkii took a fall this past year and it hasn't been the same. It may be time to find a replacement.
3. I signed up for a photo tour for Spring of 2021 and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will NOT get cancelled.

So there you have it, I have major GAS and I'm trying be adult like and get rid of it, so do I...

- I've considered getting a Medium Format camera with a Macro lens, but I'm not finding a great number of people saying that their macro photography benefited from going to MF.

- Should I hold off until 2022 for a new K1MKIII? There's no indication that's even going to happen. There's no doubt that I'd be picking up the K1MKIII when it comes out. Having been shotting full frame for years, I'm not sure I'd be inclined to pick up the K3III

- I do not have the 150-450 but to be honest, I don't think it'll get much use so I'm not sure its worth the expense. I'm doubtful that it would get rid of my GAS.

So there you have it. Its Friday, my vegetarian friend and I are about to take some photos and I'm probably gonna have a lot more GAS by end of day.

So your thoughts are appreciated.
Regards,
Rodney
Practice delayed gratification. Hold on till you see what the K1 Mark III has to offer. Good things come to those who know how to wait.