Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Another option, if you can shoot JPEG only, is the EyeFi wireless SD card.
Some folks have written standalone servers for it so you don't have to use eye-fi's stupid services:
Return Boolean True: Eye Fi Standalone Server
Thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know...
I would love to see something like this run on busybox so that I can run the server directly on the wireless router instead of my PC.

03-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another option, if you can shoot JPEG only, is the EyeFi wireless SD card.
Some folks have written standalone servers for it so you don't have to use eye-fi's stupid services:
Return Boolean True: Eye Fi Standalone Server
Thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know...
Actually I thought of shooting RAW + JPEG so the JPEG gets uploaded to my Lightroom for viewing/proofing for clients, and then I can just upload the RAW files later
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
I would love to see something like this run on busybox so that I can run the server directly on the wireless router instead of my PC.
It's a Python script so as long as your wifi router supports Python, it'll work fine. It's not like it's cpu intensive at all because it's fairly simplistic.
03-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Actually I thought of shooting RAW + JPEG so the JPEG gets uploaded to my Lightroom for viewing/proofing for clients, and then I can just upload the RAW files later
The main issue is the Eye-Fi card's smallish size. Piddling 4GB.
So if you shoot RAW+JPEG on a K20D, it's 30MB per image or roughly 130 shots before you run out of space (it deletes JPEG files as it goes, so it's probably more like 175).
If that's enough for you, give it a shot. The 4GB version is still on pre-order so only the 2GB version is available now.
I don't know of any Pentax users that have tried it yet. I've been trying to convince the Eye-Fi people to support RAW and WPA2 before I pop for one...

03-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

soccerjoe: finally remembered to look this up on DPR. Yes, it does work on the K10D:
In my stocking...EYE-FI: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The main issue is you'll have to unload it after 50-60 shots if you get the 2GB version...
03-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
soccerjoe: finally remembered to look this up on DPR. Yes, it does work on the K10D:
In my stocking...EYE-FI: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The main issue is you'll have to unload it after 50-60 shots if you get the 2GB version...
Ack. That's not much and I can shoot more than a thousand in a food shoot

I wonder how fast it is though!
03-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I wonder how fast it is though!
In that comment, the guy said it was faster than pulling up EXIF info, so it sounds like seconds.
4GB is probably big enough...2GB is definitely stretching it...
03-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting! Thanks buddy!

03-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #24

Another tether option

I tried to read up somewhat on where the delays in the Remote Assistant + Lightroom set-up would be, and it seems as the auto import feature in Lightroom is not so fast to pick up the new images.

So I tried another option instead. I downloaded another viewer, FastPictureViewer (they have the Home Edition free for trials) at Fast Picture Viewer | A Fast Image Viewer for Windows Vista & XP, with Adobe XMP & Vista Rating
Then I did the same set-up, having the Pentax Remote Assistant Autosave the images in the same folder as I did define in FastPictureViewer to auto display. The good thing is that in this program you can set the auto pickup time with a parameter to down to 1/30 of a second, and the program is also very fast at displaying the image. The menu interface might not be intuitive, but after looking through you find the options. Also, to toggle to auto import you have to press the T key.

Anyhow, with this set-up it took about 7-8 seconds to have the image on the screen, which seems as a significant improvment over the 25 seconds you had before.

[Edit: The 7-8 seconds is when shooting RAW+best resolution JPEG. With JPEG only it took less than 3 seconds]

At least it might be worth to give it a try.

Best regards,
Haakan

Last edited by Haakan; 03-25-2009 at 11:38 AM.
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Intersting Haakan, very interesting.

I have to check if either ACDSee or XNView offers this.

And yes, I did a job last week with a Nikon user, it really hurt deep inside to see how fast his tethering was functioning.... and full screen previews too!
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

BBear: do you know if the Nikon pulls down the JPG thumbnail first? Curious if they're doing that to speed up tether download...
03-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #27

I tried to find it in ACDSee, but could not find an auto import option. Another thing I liked with the FastPictureViewer was that is takes the image rotate info from the EXIF data and displays the image properly rotated directly. And the image is displayed at full screen.

[EDIT: I looked at the order of transfer in Pentax Remote Assistant and unfortunately it transfers the RAW image first, and then the JPEG. If it would be in the other order the preview would be 3 seconds also when shooting RAW + JPEG]

Best regards,
Haakan

Last edited by Haakan; 03-25-2009 at 12:59 PM.
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haakan Quote
I tried to read up somewhat on where the delays in the Remote Assistant + Lightroom set-up would be, and it seems as the auto import feature in Lightroom is not so fast to pick up the new images.

So I tried another option instead. I downloaded another viewer, FastPictureViewer (they have the Home Edition free for trials) at Fast Picture Viewer | A Fast Image Viewer for Windows Vista & XP, with Adobe XMP & Vista Rating
Then I did the same set-up, having the Pentax Remote Assistant Autosave the images in the same folder as I did define in FastPictureViewer to auto display. The good thing is that in this program you can set the auto pickup time with a parameter to down to 1/30 of a second, and the program is also very fast at displaying the image. The menu interface might not be intuitive, but after looking through you find the options. Also, to toggle to auto import you have to press the T key.

Anyhow, with this set-up it took about 7-8 seconds to have the image on the screen, which seems as a significant improvment over the 25 seconds you had before.

[Edit: The 7-8 seconds is when shooting RAW+best resolution JPEG. With JPEG only it took less than 3 seconds]

At least it might be worth to give it a try.

Best regards,
Haakan
Sounds awesome! Is there something for Mac users?
03-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #29

There might be some enhancements also for Mac

I don't have a Mac myself, but it was actually a discussion in a Mac related forum where I first found the issue with Lightroom Auto Import being too slow.
Adobe Forums - Tethered/Auto Import
It seems as one of the members used the SDK and developed a faster version, but the link to the program is not valid. He then continued to improve the tethering functions for different cameras instead and I do not know if he still has the original faster version of auto import available. Perhaps he might make it availble on request - worth a try. Do not know if the performance increase is as good as the ones I got though.

Best regards
Haakan
03-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #30

One thing to note

I realize that I did not tell that my camera is the K10D, which means that image sizes are smaller. It could be expected that the times for K20D are somewhat longer due to the time it takes to transfer larger files, especially if shooting RAW + JPEG and with RAW coming first.

Best regards,
Haakan