Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
A few more tests

I tested the set-up with Remote Assistant and FastPictureViewer somewhat more, and with a low resultion JPEG (still good enough for the LCD), it only takes 2 seconds. If only the JPEG would be sent before the RAW file (or not sent at all, only stored on the memory card), this would be a perfect teathered set-up. Then the image would be up in 2 seconds, and while you look at the screen, the RAW image could be downloaded.

To change the program (or camera firmware) to allow for an option where RAW files are not transfered, or even easier, just change the order in which the files are sent, should not be too much work. Then you just shoot RAW + low res JPEG and you have a perfect tethered set-up.

Anyone with good contacts at Pentax?

Best regards,
Haakan

03-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Two more ideas are to send the thumbnail embedded in the JPEG/RAW files ahead, and to use progressive JPEG. I wishlisted all this in the Dear Pentax thread in the rumors forum. I just hope Pentax is monitoring it (I did put a link to it in Ned Bunnell's blog comments)...
03-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me it would be simplest if Pentax would change the firmware to allow the camera to communicate with the computer as something other than a hard drive. Doing this would allow me to use the tethering function built into Aperture 2 and could skip RA entirely.
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #34

I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
For me it would be simplest if Pentax would change the firmware to allow the camera to communicate with the computer as something other than a hard drive. Doing this would allow me to use the tethering function built into Aperture 2 and could skip RA entirely.
I agree, but the Remote Assistant (which is managing the camera different than a hard drive) is already there, and just this "itsy bitsy" change in the SW would make it so much faster. It is almost like if they gave me the source code, I could do it myself

Best regards,
Haakan

03-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #35

Difference with PEF and DNG

It seems as the PEF variant of RAW files are smaller than the DNG format. Selecting PEF format will thus lead to shorter transfer times (and consquentually shorter time until the image shows up in the imaging SW).

Since the Remote Assistant is projecting a smaller image (can be displayed in a separate window to make it slightly larger, I played around with screen resolution (800x600) to make the image "fill up" the computer screen. Even though it shows up after about 1 second, the image in itself is not that high quality

Best regards,
Haakan
03-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got back in town, very happy to see the replies here!

I use PEF too for the smaller size compared to DNG. It takes about 15 seconds to show up but when you take consecutive photos (i.e. focus/exposure bracketing) it slows down to about 30 seconds a photo.

I really really hope there's HDMI in the upcoming models!
03-31-2009, 03:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Have you considered using the Raw button?
This way, you can do all your preview session in JPG 2MP only, then switch to RAW for the main shoot once everything is all right...

03-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Have you considered using the Raw button?
This way, you can do all your preview session in JPG 2MP only, then switch to RAW for the main shoot once everything is all right...
Thanks for the suggestion! Yup I did, however I want everything in RAW in case I get lucky accidents. My food shoots are progressive but sometimes we decide to use an earlier shot that we initially thought was not as good as the last shots. I also can't take a chance on forgetting to set the camera on RAW
03-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, So my wife's out of town, time to play. Tried last night playing with tethering but gave up. This morning I read this forum and thought I'd give it a go. Thanks to Class A I was successful and here is what I've learned.

1) User mode is the mode to use.
2) Raw is just way too slow.
3) JPEG can in fact be used.
4) Using a live folder is the way to go.
5) The program Photo Mechanic worked well.
6) On my K10D it would take around 4 seconds to ingest my from into Pentax Remote Assistant 3, and 4 seconds to ingest my 10MP jpegs into it. Once they were in Photo Mechanic I could see great. Had my MacBook hooked up to my big screen in the living room, and could zoom instantaneously. Eight seconds after the snap my pics were way beyond life-size. This is not as good as I want, but will be fast enough for what I want to do in some settings.
7) In Pentax Remote, Auto shot mode was the only thing that made sense.
8) My K20D worked as well after some turning off, turning on type things. And the 14MP pics made their way to Photo Mechanic at 9 seconds total, about 4.5 seconds to Pentax Remote, about 4.5 seconds to my screen.

Thanks for the help.