Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2020, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Oh, great, I flounce out of this place in a hissy fit sometime earlier this year and suddenly everyone thinks CCD is wonderful.

Sorry for butting in folks, just happened to look at the forum on a Sunday evening after a glass of wine or five. . .

aslyfox: Trust me: buy a K10D or GX-10 and find out for yourself. The difference is chalk and cheese.
Really great to see you here, David. I've missed you greatly, and I'm sure others have too. Hope you're keeping well

12-06-2020, 12:18 PM - 6 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Really great to see you here, David. I've missed you greatly, and I'm sure others have too. Hope you're keeping well

Thanks Mike. I stop by for a look in now and then and just happened to see this thread, and it struck a chord. So I thought, why not? It'd be nice to make a post for old time's sake.
12-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oh, great, I flounce out of this place in a hissy fit sometime earlier this year and suddenly everyone thinks CCD is wonderful.

Sorry for butting in folks, just happened to look at the forum on a Sunday evening after a glass of wine or five. . .

aslyfox: Trust me: buy a K10D or GX-10 and find out for yourself. The difference is chalk and cheese.
glad I sparked an interest

and thanks for pointing out

we " are two nations separated by a common language "

Britain and America Are Two Nations Divided by a Common Language – Quote Investigator

" chalk and cheese " is a new one for me
12-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Allen

Nice collection, and yes a CCD camera would round it out.
I have a lowly K100D Super and paired with the DA 16 - 45 I am not complaining, on the other hand my K5 11 shoots in the dark and the Limiteds sing.
On a side note good to hear from Dave again..

Dave

12-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I never could bring myself to part with my *istDS … I don't regret it!

Factor to consider … the CCD sensors are demonstrably more infra-red sensitive that the CMOS sensors in unmodified cameras … this may have a bearing on the colour rendition.
Whichever, when the concept of the occasional infra-red picture appeals, I find it's far easier/cheaper to achieve a result simply by fitting an appropriate filter onto my *ist DL2. The digital preview makes it easier to use than my *ist DS, but both bodies will give results
In this respect, for what I want, a 6m-pixel camera in good light will serve adequately. I've not had the opportunity to try one of the 10m-pixel cameras.

Last edited by kypfer; 12-06-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
12-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think with today's post processing capabilities, matching or exceeding the output of the older ccd sensors would not be a problem. The last of the ccd sensors provided a better color output than that of the early cmos sensors that were replacing them. Today the question is moot.
12-06-2020, 10:08 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
from those who swear CCD sensors produce better colours than CMOS,
Better? No, Different,Yes.

12-07-2020, 12:49 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Back in 2009 I received a birthday present - the K10D. I sold the camera in 2011 or 2012 to friends of my mom's cause I grabbed the K-5. Anyway, I traced the K10D-sell this year and asked the people if I can re-buy it - they told me they will give it back to me for free . Camera is on it's way this month can't wait to see that CCD sensor again and appreciate it the way I probably never did before
12-07-2020, 01:21 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The last generation of CCD chips IMO were better than the early generation CMOS sensors, but CCD technology had its limitations and CMOS is objectively better in 2020. (Twenty-twenty hindsight.)

However, you could also start a debate between the merits of different film emulsions (Kodachrome vs. Fujichrome Velvia) and find two camps swearing superiority.
12-07-2020, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Better? No, Different,Yes.
I'll take "different"

Like everything else in this photographic pursuit of ours - format, cameras, lenses, lighting, you name it - it's all so very subjective, isn't it? Regardless of the lower resolution, limited dynamic range and higher noise, I generally enjoy working with lower-ISO raw files from my GX-10s more than those from my other cameras. Whether that's due to the sensor, the in-camera ("embedded") profile or raw converter input colour profile, or a combination therein, I don't know. I have my unconfirmed opinions, but can't say for sure. I can say that, for me, the output from the GX-10 - if not "better" - is certainly more to my personal tastes. If I was normalising output from my various cameras to the same colour standards, I might feel differently - but, again, I don't know...
12-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
2020. (Twenty-twenty hindsight.)
Theres been a lot more of that THIS year!
12-09-2020, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well I picked up a K10D from ebay yesterday

it comes with extras including a 1 year square trade warranty agreement

will see how it looks when it arrives

wish me luck
12-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In spite of its limitations due to age, it can produce some lovely images if you keep the ISO to 400 or below. Built like a tank IMO. Looking forward to seeing you post some pics from it.
12-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
well I picked up a K10D from ebay yesterday

it comes with extras including a 1 year square trade warranty agreement

will see how it looks when it arrives

wish me luck
Good job, Allen! The square trade warranty is very handy... but they're extremely solid and reliable cameras, so I trust you'll have no need of it. Enjoy!
12-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice to see your smiling face again.

Steve