Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot with the *ist, then the K100D Super, then the K200D my fav of CCD models. But then I got the K20D (at half price new with a free 5 year Pentax warranty as closeout after the K-7 arrived) and speaking of rich colors, it really delivers. I still use it a lot for the Fall color season. Another poster here who does a lot of portraits said it is outstanding for that as well. It does tend to underexpose, for which I sometimes compensate, but not always- depending on when that brings a better result.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-09-2020 at 02:20 PM.
12-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian

So when everyone is talking about colors or other rendering advantages from CCD raw images, is there some commonality in the software or other components in the pipeline that is producing these colors?
12-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
So when everyone is talking about colors or other rendering advantages from CCD raw images, is there some commonality in the software or other components in the pipeline that is producing these colors?
I used to use Lightroom 6, but in the last few years have mostly switched to Darktable and, sometimes, RawTherapee. All three allow the input colour profile to be selected, and I typically set them to use the embedded profile (or "embedded matrix") in the DNG file. The embedded matrix is the in-camera profile defined by the manufacturer, and is often calibrated to provide (what the manufacturer thinks is) an appealing look to images, rather than 100% colour accuracy (if I'm striving for best colour accuracy, I use my own profiles created using an X-Rite Colorchecker Passport, or make adjustments to Passport reference shots against a known baseline so that the colours closely match).

The input colour profile undoubtedly has a very significant role to play in the way colours are represented. Still, the input to that profile is native sensor data, and I suspect there may be significant differences in how CCD and CMOS sensors are capturing light and colour - in other words, the native RGB data from one sensor may be far from identical to that from another. As such, I tend to believe it's most likely a combination of sensor and colour profile that results in the colours some folks find appealing with CCD sensor cameras.

RawTherapee offers an interesting option to set input colour profile to "No profile", whereupon it renders the native RGB colours recorded by the sensor. In the near future, I'd like to take some side-by-side shots of the Colorchecker Passport with both my K-3 and Samsung GX-10 (or K10D) - using the same lens, of course - and view them in RawTherapee using this "No profile" setting, just to see how different (or similar) the native RGB colours are from each camera...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-12-2020 at 03:59 PM.
12-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
well I'm still waiting

according to the USPS tracking system, the package has been in Kansas City since Dec 11

about 70 miles away

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-15-2020 at 07:53 PM.
12-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the latest on the package:

[quote]Dec 17, 2020
9:55am
DEPART USPS FACILITY
KANSAS CITY, KS 66106
Dec 17, 2020
8:20am
PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
KANSAS CITY, KS 66106/quote]

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-17-2020 at 01:25 PM.
12-18-2020, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the package arrived this AM

and it looks like I may have gotten very lucky with a buy from Ebay

for $80 I got:

the K 1OD with original manuals, boxes, Pentax strap, 3 batteries, third party battery grip with manual, original charger with cord, cd, and 1 year square trade warranty

Shutter Count 20,887
Manufacture Date 2007:02:28

current firmware

looks very nice

haven't had time to work with it yet
12-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the package arrived this AM

and it looks like I may have gotten very lucky with a buy from Ebay

for $80 I got:

the K 1OD with original manuals, boxes, Pentax strap, 3 batteries, third party battery grip with manual, original charger with cord, cd, and 1 year square trade warranty

Shutter Count 20,887
Manufacture Date 2007:02:28

current firmware

looks very nice

haven't had time to work with it yet
Congratulations, Allen. That's a fine deal right there! It would be almost impossible to find a K10D for that kind of money here in the UK unless it was "non-working / for parts". If it's in full working condition - and your warranty protect you on that - then you got a real bargain. Enjoy!

12-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
yeah, I'm grinning a lot

especially since it came from an Ebay seller

the warranty was the key to the sale for me

and since I didn't want the lens he was selling, it helped to get the price down as well

now I just have to figure out how to use it properly

and get the right SD cards for it, I have one now
12-18-2020, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was taken with my Panasonic Lumix TZ5 which has a 1 1/2 inch CCD sensor...
Attached Images

01-26-2021, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #40
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Oh, great, I flounce out of this place in a hissy fit sometime earlier this year and suddenly everyone thinks CCD is wonderful.

Sorry for butting in folks, just happened to look at the forum on a Sunday evening after a glass of wine or five. . .

aslyfox: Trust me: buy a K10D or GX-10 and find out for yourself. The difference is chalk and cheese.
Hey Dave, nice to see you have been lurking. You can but in anytime you like, eh?

Me? I'll take cheese anyday over chalk.

Hope you are well mate.
02-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great thread. I'm wrestling with a similar issue. While I currently shoot with a K1, I'm seriously considering picking up a Pentax 645D. A bigger CCD sensor.
02-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I have a K-m, since new in 2009, this has a CCD sensor and I generally love the subtle variations in colour that I get. I have not been able to find a good explanation of the Color Space function, which is a choice between sRGB and Adobe RGB. Does it really make much difference, and to RAW images or only to jpegs?

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 02-07-2021 at 12:45 AM.
02-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #43
G&R

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I have a K-m, since new in 2009, this has a CCD sensor and I generally love the subtle variations in colour that I get. I have not been able to find a good explanation of the Color Space function, which is a choice between sRGB and Adobe RGB. Does it really make much difference, and to RAW images or only to jpegs?
sRGB can store a few more shades of magenta, and Adobe RGB can store a few more shades of turquoise. It's very unlikely you would see a difference on a screen but printers tend to support Adobe RGB.

The RAW file is a lossless representation of all the light detected by the sensor. The JPG is a lossy translation, meaning some information is not stored and cannot be retrieved. Some post-process edits that are possible from RAW data will be impossible from JPG data. The benefit of JPG is convenience.