Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Based on this and not only

Nothing new that it's struggling, but everything will be ok I'm sure.
As we all know, Pentax is DOOMED! and has been for at least a decade. As for appealing to beginners...define beginner...

Steve

12-07-2020, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #32
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
This. A lot of my friends know that I shoot with a camera & they do like the results that I get out of my K-50. Some of them have had interest in buying a camera, but once I tell them that they either have to attach their camera to the PC or take out their SD card & place it into the PC's internal or external card reader to download OOC jpegs at the bare minimum, they're like, "Oh no. That sounds like too much of a hassle for me. I do like the images from your camera better than the ones I get from my phone, but I'll just stick to using my phone to take pictures. It's way easier." I don't even talk to them about RAW files & the whole converting those to jpeg images at all, since that usually seems to be way over their heads.

Here's the sad thing. If someone really wants a camera recommendation from me, I don't bother telling them to get a Pentax or any other DSLR. I'll tell them to look into into a mirrorless body 'cause I know that they will have a hard time using a DSLR, especially when it comes to confirming focus through the viewfinder. A mirrorless body is closer to what they're already kind of used to.
Why don't you offer a body with wireless option to transfer files? Maybe they will change their mind?

---------- Post added 12-07-20 at 11:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As we all know, Pentax is DOOMED! and has been for at least a decade. As for appealing to beginners...define beginner...

Steve

beginner is beginner, what to define here? No one says doomed, just hard times.
12-07-2020, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
You could probably make a better argument for a used K-5 (original, not ii) at $200 or less. A sale price at one store that lasts for only a few hours doesn't really constitute the K-70 being priced at $350 new, unless there are further pricing developments.

My experience with old cheap lenses is that they are only rarely "great" or even very good by modern standards, and those from the manual focus era are relatively difficult to use on a crop sensor body, which simply doesn't have the viewfinder capabilities of 35mm film bodies. But there are reasonably priced newer lenses that do perform well on digital. So I don't think price is nearly as much of an obstacle to someone interested in learning photography as it was at pretty much any other time in history.
K-5 is my camera, and exactly why I haven't felt like I need a K-70 or anything newer :-) :-)
12-07-2020, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless a person has someone to guide them, I think you will find that someone new to photography will buy what they see – think cameras at Best Buy or Target. Rather few, I suspect, will do a whole lot of research other than "everybody says Canon is a good brand" or "a guy at work loves his Nikon." Sony will also probably sell some new users based on brand recognition.

Who knows from weather-sealing, ergonomics, menu systems, or old lenses?

I would think of Pentax as very much a niche product for certain photographic cognoscenti and not really on any newcomer's radar.

From my own experience, I started to be a "serious" hobbyist 8 years ago after I retired. I, at that time, owned a Canon super-zoom. I chose Pentax because a had a pair of serious Pentax binoculars for birding and really liked them. Ergo a Pentax K-5II. Absolutely no other reason. Who knew that camera bodies were $500 and also $2000? Who knew about kit and premium lenses? Who knew the I.Q. differences of primes and zooms? I think that I might reflect most of us – learn as we go.

12-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Long time ago when I was choosing between brands, I made my choice mainly because of nice community, then body itself was if not better, at least at the same level to other brands for much lower price, visual appearance and ergonomics, all these stuff helped me to pull trigger. So what would be an inspiration for new users choose Pentax in these days?
My reply to the last question is excellent room for growth at bargain prices. The bodies are all super competent, so plenty of room to grow into the one you purchase. The lens universe, when you include legacy lenses, is terrific. The big lack is a TSE lens---there's only the old 28 shift, although it's very good (but very scarce).
12-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Why don't you offer a body with wireless option to transfer files? Maybe they will change their mind?
I have, but camera makers are still not quite there with wireless transfers. That's one thing & then they get discouraged with the whole setting up a WIFI, NFC, or Bluetooth connection with an app & having to do some configuration to get it to work that ends up discouraging them. Basically, those that want to use a camera will use one no matter what, & those that don't, just don't. Hahaha!

But yeah. The future doesn't look too bright for the camera industry at all............
12-07-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #37
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But yeah. The future doesn't look too bright for the camera industry at all............
Unless they integrate phone function

12-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't... but it will survive in some form. There'll be some contraction and consolidation in model ranges within each brand, I expect, and perhaps one or more brands will pull out of the market altogether. Yet, there'll always be people prepared to buy "real" cameras and lenses. That residual market may not be large and profitable enough for some companies to bother with, but there will be others who are happy to make a reasonable profit from a smaller market (arguably, Ricoh Imaging is rather well-prepared for this)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-07-2020 at 12:24 PM.
12-07-2020, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
K-5 is my camera, and exactly why I haven't felt like I need a K-70 or anything newer :-) :-)
At some combination of features and price I would upgrade my K5, although the upgrade would have to be substantial to be as big an upgrade as I experienced between the K200 and K5.
12-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K50 is my 6th camera (in my lifetime). I learned on my dad's film SLR which only had a light meter for "automation". In grade school I won a disc camera (the kind with 10 or 15 little pieces of film arranged in a circular cartridge). Time went on and I upgraded and so on. By the time I decided I wanted an DLSR, I was experienced enough to have some idea of what I valued, and Pentax came out on top.

I think if a serious beginner wanted to pick up "real" camera for the first time, I bet he or she would probably end up at DPReview or somesuch. Where would that lead? Probably not to Pentax.
12-07-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long time ago when I was choosing between brands, I made my choice mainly because of nice community, then body itself was if not better, at least at the same level to other brands for much lower price, visual appearance and ergonomics, all these stuff helped me to pull trigger. So what would be an inspiration for new users choose Pentax in these days?
Film? Yes. Digital? Not currently.

The entry level Pentax K70 is superior in many ways to both Canon and Nikon's entry level DSLR, but the price point puts it into the mid-level competition for Canikon. Back when the K50 was new, I had many students starting photography with a Pentax, but not any more. For parents purchasing the cameras, a couple hundred dollars saved is more attractive than a dozen features.

I seriously feel the inspiration would simply be to offer something like a 'K55' at a competitive price to the Canon T7 or Nikon D3500.
12-07-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suspect a young person would be thinking of video and photography together. They all want to be YouTube or TikTok stars. Even if they wanted to be photographers I'm sure they'd feel themselves limited if what they invested in couldn't do video. But it's these same people who may end being interested in so called vintage lenses. This may be their first exposure to Pentax.
12-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the issue is that learning photography is more than most younger people want to do. When my recently graduated daughter took a photo class at UCDavis she became lab instructor because she had actually developed film. She says there were problems because many students didn't want to bother learning what each chemical does. Now phone cameras are acceptable for digital photography classes.
12-07-2020, 01:41 PM - 4 Likes   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Now phone cameras are acceptable for digital photography classes.
The world has gone completely mad...
12-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #45
Forum Member

As long as Pentax has a green mode and captures J-pegs there will always be an appeal to the novice photographer.