Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 136 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2020, 01:07 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think a "proper" camera is ideal for beginning, regardless of the fact that it has a mirror or not.

1. I'd say digital is better suited, simply because of the possibilities in the trial-and-error field, without costing an arm and a leg.

2. Apart from that, I think that some form of manual control is essential to give a basic understanding of how exposure works.

3. Some form of shallow DoF (when I say "shallow" I don't mean "paper-thin") is also useful to reinforce skills regarding subject separation, even better if manual focusing is an option. When everything looks in focus, one's choices (or lack thereof) don't have an impact on the end result, so there's not much progress in that respect, although I must say this is less of an issue with modern cellphones, esp. when shooting close up, since their sensor area is slowly but steadily increasing by the year.

4. Composition can be learned with any camera, smartphones included.

12-08-2020, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #62
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I think Pentax is still a very appealing option. The problem is the masses don't think Pentax is still making cameras.
Ok, that's mass, but for me, I'm annoyed by the fact that not even professional reviewers mention Pentax in their list when they compare particular brand to something else!! Sometimes I want to give them unlimited dislikes for that.
12-08-2020, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I think Pentax is still a very appealing option. The problem is the masses don't think Pentax is still making cameras.
Ironically I think this has actually helped Pentax in a way. It's allowing Ricoh to slowly turn Pentax into a boutique brand with the top quality glass and the top quality bodies they're promising.
Since no one knows Pentax exists, there really is no rush. Honestly the beginner market is low margin high output, something Pentax simply can not compete with the big boys on. I think what Pentax really wants to grab are the people looking to upgrade from their terrible beginner canon camera and kit lens.
12-08-2020, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Ok, that's mass, but for me, I'm annoyed by the fact that not even professional reviewers mention Pentax in their list when they compare particular brand to something else!! Sometimes I want to give them unlimited dislikes for that.
I have written to several magazines, pointing out both that and their mistakes when stating other brands have the market cornered in stuff that Pentax have been doing for a decade.they never publish them lol although Amateur photographer is acknowledging Pentax a lot more of late

12-08-2020, 01:26 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you're in doubt, it may be that the craft of photography isn't that important to you. If all you want to do is compose your scene and have a computer do all the imaging work for you, a smartphone camera is probably a better choice. It'll even do some things you can't do with a DSLR or mirrorless camera... but you'll have less control over the results, significant elements of which are generated through software trickery, and image quality still doesn't stand up to pixel peeping or large reproduction; certainly not to the same extent as larger sensor cameras...
I totally agree, unfortunately I'm finding myself less involved into real photography nowadays, and the smartphone is always there...
12-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Long time ago when I was choosing between brands, I made my choice mainly because of nice community, then body itself was if not better, at least at the same level to other brands for much lower price, visual appearance and ergonomics, all these stuff helped me to pull trigger. So what would be an inspiration for new users choose Pentax in these days?

Yes, absolutely. It was when I first started thinking and planning shots. And the IQ is very good. I would use a K-70 to start with.
12-08-2020, 01:28 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I have recently recommended Pentax as a good starter system for someone wanting to do some macro and flower photography.
Suggestion was £250 for something along the lines of a used K3 and £250 towards a good condition D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro. Alternatively, go for the K70 at around £350-400 used and look for a £150 non-WR Macro.
I agree with Cerebum, that Pentax film cameras are gaining momentum in the used markets.

12-08-2020, 01:52 AM - 3 Likes   #68
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
I totally agree, unfortunately I'm finding myself less involved into real photography nowadays, and the smartphone is always there...
You're not alone, I'm sure. Additionally, there's a lot of mums, dads and grandparents that bought entry-level DSLRs thinking they'd magically take great photos of the family, not realising that it takes some degree of knowledge, skill, effort, sometimes additional equipment (faster lenses, maybe a flash unit etc.) or software (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) to get the results they were expecting. For these and other reasons, a lot of very capable DSLR systems are languishing in cupboards, rarely to see the light of day again. Smartphones, on the other hand, have the processing power to perform all sorts of imaging trickery, producing results that are perfectly adequate for sharing on Facebook or printing out for the family photo album. They're very limited in a number of ways that enthusiast photographers would find frustrating, but for the average person who just wants to take decent snapshots, they're often a much better tool than a larger sensor DSLR or mirrorless camera...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-08-2020 at 02:34 AM.
12-08-2020, 03:04 AM   #69
Pentaxian

To answer the question posed, sadly not. For one, Pentax don't have a lot of exposure. It would have to be a well-informed beginner to buy a Pentax. The person wandering into a department store with money to spend will walk out with a Canon or Nikon. If our intrepid beginner has a bigger budget and goes to a specialty store or shops online, Sony or Fujifilm might get the nod.

If it does make it onto the shopping list, the K-70 makes a good case for itself but is on the expensive side and faces some stiff competition. And then there is the question mark on solenoid failures. Nobody seems to know how widespread the problem is, but it has to be mentioned.
12-08-2020, 04:10 AM   #70
Forum Member

Is Pentax still appealing for beginners in photography?

no,at least not for digital photography... there is a great revival of film cameras and pentax (k mount or m42) is maybe one of the best choice.
The DSLR suffer the lack of third party maker lenses, cheaper modern lenses, AF speed, and not forgetting the aperture block failure problem even in newest model like the K70.

For beginners, for me, the best choice is a mirrorless: small,portable, you can adapt every lenses (maybe you have a film camera with lenses from parents..) and if you like video, even the cheapest model have a better quality than the pentax.
I think that in a future not so far DSLR would be only for professionals with high level models and ML would have the midlevel segment. Can be a joke but ricoh could think in making a new film camera to promote the reflex experience..
12-08-2020, 04:27 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Long time ago when I was choosing between brands, I made my choice mainly because of nice community, then body itself was if not better, at least at the same level to other brands for much lower price, visual appearance and ergonomics, all these stuff helped me to pull trigger. So what would be an inspiration for new users choose Pentax in these days?
I think this question is impossible to answer. What does your beginner want/need:
  • To take nice pictures in automatic mode?
  • To have a smooth, sensible path from auto to various semi- and eventually fully manual modes?
  • To be forced off auto?
12-08-2020, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EDstrg87 Quote
Is Pentax still appealing for beginners in photography?

no,at least not for digital photography... there is a great revival of film cameras and pentax (k mount or m42) is maybe one of the best choice.
The DSLR suffer the lack of third party maker lenses, cheaper modern lenses, AF speed, and not forgetting the aperture block failure problem even in newest model like the K70.

For beginners, for me, the best choice is a mirrorless: small,portable, you can adapt every lenses (maybe you have a film camera with lenses from parents..) and if you like video, even the cheapest model have a better quality than the pentax.
I think that in a future not so far DSLR would be only for professionals with high level models and ML would have the midlevel segment. Can be a joke but ricoh could think in making a new film camera to promote the reflex experience..
I think it's about feel - IMO the OVF is a better photographic experience, but then again I find EVFs to be insufferable for a good number of reasons. A mirrorless isn't much more portable than a DSLR, although they are generally lighter, and the ones that push that idea of small/light like the Sony A6X00 or the smaller Canon M-series pay in ergonomics.

Regarding lenses, no beginner is going to want for lenses beyond what is available for any DSLR system on sale today, old and new.
12-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #73
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
I think this question is impossible to answer. What does your beginner want/need:
  • To take nice pictures in automatic mode?
  • To have a smooth, sensible path from auto to various semi- and eventually fully manual modes?
  • To be forced off auto?
I think there are three categories of people in shops. First are just people who would like to spend money based on what market dictates and they most likely will buy some mirrorless and will be happy, second are people who are enthusiasts with great interest what is happening behind all of this stuff, and third are professionals which will get out everything they need from either system. And the first one is dominating of course.
12-08-2020, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

When I chose Pentax around ten years ago I looked at all the options and couldn't understand why anyone would choose anything but Pentax, the K200D was so obviously better than competitors from Canon, Nikon, Sony or Olympus. Nowadays that's not the case and I don't recommend DLSRs to most people because they end up leaving it at home because it's too big to carry around, so for most people a decent mirrorless camera is a better option, though for someone getting into photography as a hobby (as opposed to using to photograph kids, holidays etc) that's not necessarily true. I don't recommend Pentax's lowest-tier model, the K70, or it's immediate predecessors, due to the aperture block failure. I'd recommend the KP to someone that knew what they were doing or was really willing to learn, but for many people there's better value elsewhere.
12-08-2020, 05:45 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
When I chose Pentax around ten years ago I looked at all the options and couldn't understand why anyone would choose anything but Pentax, the K200D was so obviously better than competitors from Canon, Nikon, Sony or Olympus. Nowadays that's not the case and I don't recommend DLSRs to most people because they end up leaving it at home because it's too big to carry around, so for most people a decent mirrorless camera is a better option, though for someone getting into photography as a hobby (as opposed to using to photograph kids, holidays etc) that's not necessarily true. I don't recommend Pentax's lowest-tier model, the K70, or it's immediate predecessors, due to the aperture block failure. I'd recommend the KP to someone that knew what they were doing or was really willing to learn, but for many people there's better value elsewhere.
I find small mirrorless bodies somewhat appealing (but not appealing enough to spend all the money to switch or add a system) because I could get something like a Fuji with a pancake lens and it would be considerably smaller and lighter than a Pentax DSLR plus lens, even a pancake lens.

But how many people do that? My K-3ii and 40mm LTD weigh 890g. A Fuji X-T3 and a 16-80mm lens weighs 979g (that's the top combo for Fuji listed on B&H). The Fuji is longer from front of lens to back of camera.

Sure, the body itself is smaller and weighs 261 grams less. But to get a real advantage you'd have to use something like the 27mm pancake that actually weighs less than a 40LTD, giving you a total package 2/3rds the weight of the K-3ii combo, and a bit less size.

So if pocketability is the key then even the mirrorless is probably too big, so go with a GRIII. But then try to make the case that the GRIII has a lot of advantages over the newer phones and it's a more difficult sell. Especially since almost everyone already has a phone. The niche between K-3ii and phone isn't big enough for a $900 solution for me.