Show Printable Version 136 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2020, 05:09 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
He will be like:
- Tey, this thing is heavy!!!

- That's because you've got a real damn camera man!
The APS-C cameras aren't that heavy! Sure, they are... substantial, but honestly my first thought handling a D5300 was "Dude this is a toy"

When I hand them a K-1 I already start with "hold steady" though

12-13-2020, 05:29 AM   #167
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The APS-C cameras aren't that heavy! Sure, they are... substantial, but honestly my first thought handling a D5300 was "Dude this is a toy"

When I hand them a K-1 I already start with "hold steady" though
Absolutely!! After my K3, I went to local shop for just hold their new Fuji XT3, I was wondering how it feels, well, it is really a good mirrorless camera, nothing wrong with it, but I was like - holding and looking at it from all kinds of perspective asking them - what it is??
12-13-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

I'd rather say they have *other* gimmicks, but they are all advanced stuff: composition adjustment, astrotracing and pixel shift aren't what a beginner needs.

What Pentax gives you, as a beginner, is a camera that gets out of your way with an excellent control layout (their entry level offerings have historically been the only, or one of the few, sub-1000€ cameras with two proper e-dials!!), intuitive menu system, Hyper Program/TAv and a good OVF.
I think those are all qualities that a beginner *who wants to get into the craft* would appreciate. I try to be a proselyte but the mirrorless marketing machine with the promise of eye-AF is a tough rival - telling a beginner "don't worry, the camera will do everything" is a lie but it's an effective lie
Yes, Pentax cameras have functions that are often not appreciated until you've already made some progress in learning, which isn't very useful for the beginner unless he has someone wise to guide him on his way.
12-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Hi from Baltimore, EnglishBob. Lemme know if you ever want to try out a Z...
Thanks. Might take you up on the offer this Spring.

Last edited by EnglishBob; 12-13-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
12-13-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #170

Photos: Gallery
Had the same impression with a D3xxx series...
12-13-2020, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Had the same impression with a D3xxx series...
A friend of mine got a Fuji X-A3 some months ago... when he tried out my K-1 he was like "what the... what do all these buttons do?"

My reaction when I tried out the Fuji was "where... where are the buttons???"
12-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax is set up for criticism in this thread and there's been lot's. What's missing is "what's better."

Every time I have ever looked at "what's better" I find a lot of reasons why it's not. Us Pentax users have had to absorb all this criticism for things Pentax, why the critics just sit behind cover, and take pot shots.

I'm not entertaining any more of this until we see some camera to camera comparisons. Pentax against the world is ridiculous. Lets start on equal footing... we all present the camera we think is best, and defend it, the same way those of us from time to time recommend Pentax defend our decisions.

These threads all seem to be "put Pentax up on the fence and see who can hit it with a 22 from 50 metres." It's unfair to Pentax, not that anyone here seems to care much about being fair to Pentax.
A fair point in some ways, although a beginner might reasonably visit a few brand-specific forums and ask, what's great about your brand, and may then go with the brand where he or she got the best answer. I don't see anything wrong with practicing that pitch.

12-14-2020, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
A fair point in some ways, although a beginner might reasonably visit a few brand-specific forums and ask, what's great about your brand, and may then go with the brand where he or she got the best answer. I don't see anything wrong with practicing that pitch.
That would play in our favour. This forum is so varied and supportive. It may actually be Pentax's best selling point for a beginner.

---------- Post added 12-14-20 at 01:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax is set up for criticism in this thread and there's been lot's. What's missing is "what's better."

Every time I have ever looked at "what's better" I find a lot of reasons why it's not. Us Pentax users have had to absorb all this criticism for things Pentax, why the critics just sit behind cover, and take pot shots.

I'm not entertaining any more of this until we see some camera to camera comparisons. Pentax against the world is ridiculous. Lets start on equal footing... we all present the camera we think is best, and defend it, the same way those of us from time to time recommend Pentax defend our decisions.

These threads all seem to be "put Pentax up on the fence and see who can hit it with a 22 from 50 metres." It's unfair to Pentax, not that anyone here seems to care much about being fair to Pentax.
I don't disagree with this but it feels like it is more prevalent at competition time or when we have a new model. There are a few members on here who perport to love Pentax then say nothing positive, (one in particular HATES his KP) and that grinds my gears
12-14-2020, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #174
Pentaxian

You'd better stay away from the likes of the Canon EOS 4000D, then.
12-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #175
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just for fun, have been searching for market share info and there is nothing about Pentax at all but we don't care, more important thing is to continue developing things we all love, slow or fast, not to stop.

Interesting would be to create some sort of survey, where without showing brand names, list their features seperately, then which one they will choose.
12-14-2020, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #176
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
just for fun, have been searching for market share info and there is nothing about Pentax at all but we don't care, more important thing is to continue developing things we all love, slow or fast, not to stop.
One or more ex-members have posted Pentax market share info in the past, repeatedly using the low number as a basis for crowing (with barely-concealed glee) about the impending doom of the brand. They're long gone, while Ricoh Imaging and the Pentax brand continue to move ahead at a pace which suits market conditions. We have every reason to be positive
12-14-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
That would play in our favour. This forum is so varied and supportive. It may actually be Pentax's best selling point for a beginner.

---------- Post added 12-14-20 at 01:04 AM ----------

I don't disagree with this but it feels like it is more prevalent at competition time or when we have a new model. There are a few members on here who perport to love Pentax then say nothing positive, (one in particular HATES his KP) and that grinds my gears
Agreed this forum is a great positive for Pentax and many here are extremely supportive. There are the few who make some disparaging remarks but in the long run they are supportive of the brand.

Someone mentioned doing head to head comparisons of similar level cameras between brands. THis could be a good thing if it could be done by independent reviewers. I recall those comparisons back when printed magazines were still available, but not so much anymore. I have seen reviews of a variety of cameras but not real side by side between brands.
12-14-2020, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #178

A friend of mine got a Fuji X-A3 some months ago... when he tried out my K-1 he was like "what the... what do all these buttons do?"

My reaction when I tried out the Fuji was "where... where are the buttons???"
I think so!
12-16-2020, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Hand a Pentax to a beginner to make him/her happy.
I think most beginners will see less capable video and AF in a heavy body and not stick around long enough to find out what makes Pentax special.

Makes me curious about ratio of Pentaxians who started with the brand straight away with a DSLR vs. with a previous film SLR...
12-16-2020, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I think most beginners will see less capable video and AF in a heavy body and not stick around long enough to find out what makes Pentax special.

Makes me curious about ratio of Pentaxians who started with the brand straight away with a DSLR vs. with a previous film SLR...
You are right about sticking around long enough Pentax strengths arent all immediately obvious. AF may be slower, depending on the lens, but by all accounts it is very accurate compared to the others (i dont have experience so can only go off what people say, but I am happy enough ) If they were a beginner, would they realise the video was less capable? I have seen quite a few YouTube videos where they have shot footage on their Pentax camera and it was fine. Pentax only really fails in comparisons with other brands who's video is superb rather than good enough. If someone was in a position to be able to compare, they probably wouldn't be a beginner.