Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 136 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Yeah, for example Canons new idea to replace shutter button with a touch shutter button, well this is real crap!!
Doesn't seem like it would catch on very well. It could result in numerous unintentional photos.

12-23-2020, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Doesn't seem like it would catch on very well. It could result in numerous unintentional photos.
Instead butt dialing, butt photos.
12-24-2020, 02:39 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, for example Canons new idea to replace shutter button with a touch shutter button, well this is real crap!!
And yet, because it is canon, people are getting very excited. Typical!
12-24-2020, 05:38 AM   #214
Pentaxian

What?!!!! A touch shutter button?!!! For real?!!! Now that is pure solid crap!!!

12-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #215
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
What?!!!! A touch shutter button?!!! For real?!!! Now that is pure solid crap!!!
yep

source
12-24-2020, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

How many clicks is it designed for?
12-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #217
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How many clicks is it designed for?
Let's say unlimited, what's the point anyway... I imagined for a second that it could be used for focus point adjustment across the frame but anyway, seems to me it's an absolute epic fail.

12-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #218
Pentaxian

But having a touch shutter will be quite uncomfortable to the user. To my simple understanding when you say touch, a simple touch will instruct the camera to take a picture. This will then require you to lift your finger prior to taking the shot. Firstly this position is unnatural. Secondly, the AF including the AFS has to be super fast and accurate as earlier stated, with a simple touch the camera exposes a picture. Of course technology as made major leaps and bounds since the creation of the micro-chip. Who knows how that'll work.

Anyway I'm a simple photographer with simple needs. Pentax, please don't do that to our shutter button.
12-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was probably some rationale for the new touch shutter button. I doubt their engineering and design team set out with a goal of making the camera essentially unusable. Perhaps we can wait until someone can discuss their experiences with the thing before we decide it's the worst idea in the history of cameras.
12-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #220
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Canon files thousands of patents each year, most never make it to market. This most likely will not but like the stupid Touch Bar on the R it may, and I think it would quickly be replaced like the touch bar.
12-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #221
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
But having a touch shutter will be quite uncomfortable to the user. To my simple understanding when you say touch, a simple touch will instruct the camera to take a picture. This will then require you to lift your finger prior to taking the shot. Firstly this position is unnatural. Secondly, the AF including the AFS has to be super fast and accurate as earlier stated, with a simple touch the camera exposes a picture. Of course technology as made major leaps and bounds since the creation of the micro-chip. Who knows how that'll work.

Anyway I'm a simple photographer with simple needs. Pentax, please don't do that to our shutter button.
Obviously that touch shutter will be sensitive on how much pressure will be applied on it, so that's not a problem. Problem is that these brands are crazy What I like though, is that Canon works so hard to stay on its current position or even go farther at all costs. But, seeing this kind of an innovation, this picture is coming to my mind when a design head comes to his workers office and orders them to do just anything they like in one day, shuts the door ))
12-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #222
Pentaxian

Maybe a touch shutter button has possibilities, just due to requiring less force than a physical button. For example, with my K-5 I use the remote to trigger roughly .25 to 2 second exposures of ocean waves. I can't use the timer because I don't have an ideal what the wave will roughly look like two seconds before, but if I push the shutter button (yes, on my tripod), I'll often get vibration due to the force required (with a modest-sized tripod that might be sitting on loose sand.) Possibly a very light touch "button" would result in less vibration.
12-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #223
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Maybe a touch shutter button has possibilities, just due to requiring less force than a physical button. For example, with my K-5 I use the remote to trigger roughly .25 to 2 second exposures of ocean waves. I can't use the timer because I don't have an ideal what the wave will roughly look like two seconds before, but if I push the shutter button (yes, on my tripod), I'll often get vibration due to the force required (with a modest-sized tripod that might be sitting on loose sand.) Possibly a very light touch "button" would result in less vibration.
If my camera is on the tripod, I'm definitely working with something that needs a lot of exposure time, and then I'm using my phone anyway, I hold my breath during this time, nothing to say about touching the camera.
12-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot really believe this would be a good thing. Shooting on a tripod is best, for me, by using a remote whenever possible.
12-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #225
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
There was probably some rationale for the new touch shutter button. I doubt their engineering and design team set out with a goal of making the camera essentially unusable. Perhaps we can wait until someone can discuss their experiences with the thing before we decide it's the worst idea in the history of cameras.
Oh, I don't know... we tear into almost every feature of as-yet-unreleased Ricoh and Pentax cameras... why not Canon too?

[Just kidding... I agree with you ]